Anyone Living in Taiwan Been to Jakarta?

Yea, maybe that was a bit inaccurate. Maybe world famous would be better. Or just beaches.

1 Like

Feels like some people donā€™t know the difference between carefully framed/carefully photographed beaches and beaches that are actually worth visiting. There are beaches in Malaysia and Thailand that are way better than what I encountered in Bali.

If the people posting the photographs above have ACTUALLY BEEN to those places thatā€™s fine. Maybe your taste in beaches is just different from mine.

But yeah, world famous is fair.

I took the first 2 photos. Virgin Beach is our family favorite. Great grilled fish and nice waves.
The third is a grab from the internet.

Most beaches here in Bali are crap either because of garbage or people hustling you to buy stuff.

Beaches in Kuta were covered in garbage.

Human or plastic?

1 Like

Plastic, looks like it washes down from the streams and drains. Some sections a lot more than others but was a bit shocking for such a ā€˜tourist paradiseā€™.

Have been to the Philippines and Vietnam and generally it was a lot cleaner there. But of course plastic is a problem everywhere.

Human or plastic?

Giving me flashbacks from Pattaya. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Bali is not very similar to Pattaya in guessing (never been to Pattayal). Iā€™ve only been to Kuta,
itā€™s not very nice. Iā€™m sure the rest of the island is much nicer. But I believe kutas beaches were the big initial draw for the surf crowd.

Only indonesians want to go to jakarta more than once.

1 Like

In terms of tourist hellholes most of Bali is incredibly similar to Pattaya. In terms of culture and other things, no.

1 Like

I understand that surfers prefer the northern coast (of Bali). Kuta Beach is for drinking and partying, Ubud is the cultural center (lots of couples), Denpasar the boring government and business center that tourists mostly avoid, and Nusa Dua has the expensive hotels (although there are also cheaper ones slightly inland / across the street). I thought the beach at Nusa Dua was very pretty and photogenic, but itā€™s certainly not secluded or anything, and there are all the usual commercial activities going on (restaurants, para-sailing, etc.).

1 Like

I have travelled to over twenty countries, and only once have I ever been close to missing my flight. I was in Jakarta, supposed to be flying back to Taipei. I planned to arrive at the airport three hours before my flight, but because of the crazy traffic I only just managed to board the plane before they closed the doors. Itā€™s the only time Iā€™ve ever heard my name announced in the airport. Jakarta is cheap, but I didnā€™t enjoy the food and there isnā€™t that much to do. I wouldnā€™t go there again.

2 Likes

Yeah, Iā€™ve heard similar stories from a lot of people, both Taiwanese and foreign. I mostly wanted to go there before it sinks beneath the waves/is abandoned by the government there. Iā€™d heard they had plans to relocated the capital, but not sure if thatā€™s still in the works.

I had a big enough taste of Bali traffic to imagine what Jakarta traffic is like. Canā€™t be good.

I believe thatā€™s what is happening.

1 Like

Fuuuuuuuuuck!

I need to go back and enjoy Kuching again before that happens. Oh wait. China Virusā€¦Fuuuuuuuuuck!!!

LAME but makes sense.

yah capital is being moved to some random ass place on the east coast of borneo. jakarta itself is sinking or something so thatā€™s the stated reason for moving. ive been there and bali and both are pretty meh. jakartaā€™s CBD is actually really quite impressive though so thereā€™s that - definitely more tower-ey than any other SEA city (including singapore, bkk, and kl). def worth visiting once to see what itā€™s like though! then no reason to ever come back.

1 Like

There are not many good reasons to visit Jakarta other than that it is there.

Thatā€™s a good enough reason.

I think Jakarta is underrated personally. Not because it has something that beckons tourists, but because it doesnā€™t.

Before the virus, way too many cities were overrun with tourists and expats, and locals trying to give them whatever they thought they were looking for. Jakarta has many problems but that isnā€™t one of them, and if you keep an open mind, itā€™s an interesting place to spend a little time.

2 Likes

That is true. It is not a tourist attraction on its own by a long shot. But that doesnā€™t mean it canā€™t be enjoyable to visit. I have always largely enjoyed my visits to Jakarta.