Anyone married to a mainland Chinese? Please read my concerns

No they’re not. I’ve been watching them for years, even before leaving China.

They air China’s dirty laundry now. Being critical of a dictatorship masquarading as a left wing ideology is not right wing. In fact, it’s simply just anti-authoritarian and pro freedom.

Their wives knew what was going to happen when they were being targeted in Northern China. Fortunately their wives’ families are well-connected in the corruption in Guangdong. Not if you’re a normie. The family at the very least will be under extreme surveillance, especially when talking to the fugitives. The families will be forced to reiterate that they don’t endorse what this foreign scum says and possibly bribe a few people to leave them alone. They were targeted for the innocuous things they said about China.

7 Likes

I think we’re gonna have to agree to disagree on this one.

I’m all for anti-authoritarianism and freedom. I just really get the sense that what these guys are pushing doesn’t come from a good place.

For the sake of balance I would like to (once again) recommend this guy’s videos.

He points out how much of what they say is, at best, exaggerated and, at worst, simply untrue.

As far as Laowhy’s “Great Escape” goes, a little bit of embellishment for dramatic purposes (and clicks!) seems entirely likely to me. Don’t trust him as far as I could throw him. My guess is they just bought a couple of plane tickets and went on their merry way. I doubt any of the locals were mourning their departure.

I can’t take your post seriously if you’re going to cite known wumaos.

It doesn’t sound like that if you’re quoting wumaos.

8 Likes

NO THANK YOU.

6 Likes

In that case I don’t really know what to tell you.

Simply labelling someone as a “wumao” is a convenient way to avoid actually addressing his or her arguments. It’s lazy.

In some of his videos he dissects Serpentza/Laowhy videos and demonstrates how they are factually inaccurate. Categorising him in this way is not helpful. The facts speak for themselves.

1 Like

Did the Youtuber who escaped China ever talk about how his activities affected his wives’ families in China? (If they are in China)

How would people here know? This is a site about Taiwan not China.

2 Likes

It’s not lazy. YouTubers that are still in China are compromised at the very least. You’re gonna have to pick an independent source.

It’s a conflict of interest. He has every reason in the world to distance himself and strike down Laowhy and SerpentZA.

If you’re in China, living there as an influencer with the strict rules on speech and opinions by the Communist Party that force you to toe the party line, if not outright praise it…and you’re benefitting from living there…You’re a wumao, whether you like it or not. It’s a conflict of interest and their editorial independence is compromised.

6 Likes

They can’t do much to you or your wife abroad, not even your in laws in there. But if their net worth is mostly consistent of assets in the country they will make sure that money doesn’t leave. Everything from financial products, to real estate, and even enterprise. It is not a straight forward thing, but if you they are black listed they can make things very difficult for the financials of your wife’s family. Especially if you ever intended on her inheriting any part of it and transferring abroad in the future.

I know extremely wealthy people who avoid talking about any specifics against the ‘central kingdom’ even via WhatsApp which is definitely not government owned, but in person spill the tea.

None of those high individuals are concerned about prison or anything like that but about assets being in an infinite frozen purgatory.

It isn’t government owned, but it is essentially government controlled.

2 Likes

Anyone married to mainland Chinese interesting math problem right there. Population roughly 1,300,000,000 I’d say there are perhaps six hundred million people married to a mainland Chinese person if we say seven hundred million are unmarried?

In any case the answer to the first clause in your question is yes :laughing:

1 Like

Everything Serpentza and LaoWhy say is true. If you disagree, you haven’t lived in China or you are Chinese and will simply agree with everything the People’s Daily tells you.

You are right they are negative. They would seem more fair if for every negative they stated a positive. China has accomplished a miracle just as Japan did.

You cannot say 1 word negative about China to Chinese. Westerners can handle criticism of their society. Chinese cannot.

Yesterday I saw the female lifeguard scold a 4 year old. The little thing kept quiet, went to her mom, and buried her head in mommy’s shoulder. Both are Chinese - 1 the blunt Confucian authority figure is like the lifeguard and 2 the little one that deflates from criticism

3 Likes

In China you could not marry who you wanted to without approval of boss or local party official, nearly always men. Many men took tested the girl out first if she was pretty. Other male officials sold approval for a price.

October 2004 was the first time Chinese in modern times could make their own choice

Ive lived in China and no not everything some guy said on YouTube is true. I mean that should be pretty much self evident.

The weird fixation about swimming. Yeah that stumps me too :laughing:

2 Likes

This is so wrong. On so many levels.

1 Like

On what are you basing this? I got married to a woman who was a Chinese communist party member against the will of her parents in 2003. I guess we had to have the “approval” of the government in that we filled out government paperwork, but the process was virtually identical to what we did in the US to get married in 2018 (to prove to Taiwan that we were married).

1 Like

OP here. If you work at a big media or politics, and speak about sensitive issues like opposing Hong Kong extradition bill, will that affect your wife or your wife’s families’ safety, assets, or social life?

I had to reply to you like this. Please see my new question.

Why don’t you ask the people you work with?

No one to ask.