Anyone notice food shortages?

Life is hard in Sanchong. :slightly_smiling_face:

Guy

3 Likes

It’s hard living in Mogadishu.

3 Likes

The RT Mart in Xindian closed down their instore bakery last weekend and it’s been a bit sporadic in what they put out this weekend, blamed difficulty in getting raw materials.

1 Like

Agreed, maybe in the city. But here, the pork stands have their logo and address of their farms. And those farms add their sweet scent to the air of my summer bike rides.
I’m not sure the locals in our town will tolerate imported chickens. Until recently they wanted to choose the lives ones. There are few places where you can still do it. But I’m sure that if the stand says their local chickens, they are local chickens.

Reply to some other people, we have a farmers supermarket in our town which is run by a farmer’s cooperative. The local stuff seems to be well stocked but we do seem to be missing from time to time it’s instant noodles and rare occasions milk.

I cannot seem to figure out why. The shortage only lasts a day or two and all the noodles and milk seems to disappear at one time.

Who’s buying it and who can eat all those noodles is the question.

May I remind all the government keeps food stocks for 6 months in reserve as emergency rations.

Our market has 3 beef stalls, like 10 each of poultry and fish, and about 5 of pork and pork products.

There has been a lot less stalls of prepared food and clothing, though.

No bok choy anywhere, wrong season, as well as spinach, though this last I got a couple cans.

Saw cabbage for the first time in ages.

Lots of fruit. Packing and cutting to get to work.

Where “here” is would seem to be important information to share.

Pingdong/Kahsiong area. Towns like 南州,潮州,萬巒 東港 and 林邊。

We produce, pork (known for pigs feet), mangoes, wax apples, pineapples, bananas, tomatoes,yams, duck, goose, rice and your average veggies.
There is also a fishing port and fish farms. There is also beetle nuts
Sadly though, I see some solar farms creeping up taking away some very good farm land

3 Likes

My local supermarkets in Taipei, except for some imported brands disappearing and less crowded, I not noticed any differences.

1 Like

I heard those are good sources of protein! :rofl:

Guy

1 Like

Lol

Yeah, sure

2 Likes

Well… what’s your opinion then?

1 Like

They have all this stuff cheap at the outdoor market I go to. This market has the best apples, only 10nt each and the equivalent of the big bags of romaine lettuce they sell at Costco is only 40nt. RT Mart had cabbage and bok choy yesterday. I’d guess this is just a Taipei problem.

He’s not belittling your opinion, he’s belittling government policy.

My mom said they are having logistic problems in the US stores too.

I reckon there is a net increase in demand for vegetables. With eat in restaurants closed, people buy more vegetables to cook at home, than what they would consume in a restaurant.

2 Likes

Actually there should be a surplus as markets lost their largest customers.

but also there has been a water shortage until recently! ahhhh complexity!

1 Like

I think people are still consuming the same amount of food? Just sit in places are selling less, therefore shops are selling more?

I thought the empty shelves were panic buyers initially, but didn’t see a single panic buyer. So I concluded people are just buying more because they are not eating out

3 Likes

Panic buyers cleaned up already…no canned goods for Bai Bai this year. Heck, they even took my sardines, they never do. :sob:

Rain is coming back. Produce is expensive as hell currently but it will normalize as things relax a bit.

Food we got plenty. Lots of online shopping.

1 Like

I saw that alright. Saw the workers frantically sticking the shelves, but missed the panic buyers

I noticed in Pingtung we are fine with local produce, meet, fish, vegetable, milk etc. The things that seam to be missing are Flour (less off a selection) diary products like cream, butter, cheese.
Even the local bakery supply stores seemed to be lacking.

What was notable in Carrefour was the over stocking and spreading out items on the shelves to fill the spaces.

1 Like