Anyone notice food shortages?

Tempo lives in Taipei. I guess that explains why he doesn’t (yet) really get it.

Reason: Countryside cooking really is better in the countryside!

Guy

1 Like

How about the crowds there? I was hoping not too many people would go there.

He might just be salty and bitter.

4 Likes

I don’t think that’s it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Havent read the thread. But feel its worth noting that food shortages are absiolutely going to become more frequent globally. Expect it to become more severe, plan accordingly. There are numerous reasons, which should worry people. Most of which have been discussed in depth everywhere for decades already. We are now seeing the beginning of the tipping point. But we cannot deny we were not warned far in advance…

Your candour is refreshing.

Guy

2 Likes

Glad to bring some comedy to taiwans’ food security issues :slight_smile: its more about the topic title, rather than the fun discussion that followed. But anyway, as long as costco is open no one will care much :slight_smile:

I cannot find any Worcestershire sauce. And spinach is hard to come by at supermakets.

1 Like

There is also the issue that one if the biggest vegetables wholesale markets has an infection cluster, 45 folk so far. So maybe that might affect at some level.

We also have the issue of shrimp farmed locally being affected by some kind of bug

Aside from that, I do not see any references to issues related with food.

1 Like

It is easier to install a TV than indoor plumbing. I saw the same in India, satalite dishes on the roofs of slum dwellings but no inside plumbing.

you can use sweet potato leaf instead.

5 Likes

Aside from current or future logistics issues relate to foreign countrys production issues and logisitcs gettin here, we also have various in house food shrotages coming soon to a table near you. Taiwans water issue is real. The recent years heat is also real, which also incidently chases harsher flash floods. These are all affecting food production domestically (similar issues are affecting other countries as well).

A funny, yet, eye opening example locally is that the government welfare fund, via subsidies, are starting to dry up and close down. Its been happening here and there with various things for years already, but last year the MOA/local ag gov money sinks stopped allowing subsidies and such for rice farmers that are growing a 3rd crop per year. They capped the government funding to 2 crops per year. This was hotly debated amongst farmers last year and did all the usual “fuck the dpp” type propaganda. However, once a person gets passed all that usual bullshit, this type of trend should actually be quite telling for trends to come. nevermind the MOA funding a lot of research into growing things like wheat in taiwan. This is obviously a measure to produce a staple food source that isnt such a water waste like rice…which doesnt seem to compute with the public unforunately.

Just this week we lost over 1 hectare of mature crops. Burnt to a friggen crisp. We have had over a week of 37 to 41 degree air temps here and no clouds in sight. Last year we saw nation wide crop failures due to this and massive water shortages. This year looks like some areas might have the same issue. too early to tell. But we just lost over 1 million in this months harvests just last week. i cried a little bit yesterday, just couldnt work it was so bad. Regardelss of my typos and grammar comedies (which i can take and agree are funny to make fun of), the issue remains serious and yet there is almost zero effort to secure our populations sustainability.

It should worry everyone. On this point, i am actually not joking around. It is looking bad for Taiwan. A few flash floods wont solve issues. Its not just reservoirs, we have also compacted water tables…people should actually be scared more about this than even china opresing us if I’m being honest…

1 Like

Definition of retarded. Regardless of who one wants to blame.

1 Like

Definitely less busy than normal, but still too many people not observing social distancing.

1 Like

Just get an ice cream maker at Costco online only. You’ll never look back.

The yam leaves with a lot of 1000-year eggs are pretty good. They do suck alone

1 Like

But blanching most greens 8 ~ 20 seconds before cooking them makes a big difference.

We’ve heard this before. Didn’t happen then, and I don’t think it will happen now.

I suppose youre right.

Heck, heres a list of some more.

Ancient climatic events and or man made issues such as the collapses of the romans, egyptians, inca, maya etc are also recorded.

I guess all these events are pretty small, and obscure. most wouldnt know about them…

Although, there ar e thousands more examples that can easily affect our food and water supply…

Wiki isnt the greatest. Regardless, not sure what is scarier. Ignorance or arrogance.

1 Like

As a kid I didn’t like those, either, if they were boiled (still don’t), but I liked them chopped, breaded, and fried (still do).

Plus, I love gumbo, and I don’t see how there can be a gumbo without okra. I think the word gumbo comes from a Bantu word for okra.

1 Like