Anyone recently move to Taiwan

Thanks for the replies. I originally posted this before I went on vacation to Alaska and promptly forgot about it. Now that I’m back I gotta start thinking about moving over there. I’m planning on teaching English. I’m mainly motivated by a desire to visit and experience different cultures. I plan on saving money while I’m working there and taking an occasional trip around asia. My goal is to visit 8 countries while I’m living over there. Then after a couple of years I will probably come back (but who knows).

I’ve heard that the six months are hell for a lot of people, so I’m somewhat prepared for that (as much as one can be). I like to hear about the experiences of those who just moved over there. If anyone has any good stories, please reply.

I moved here four months ago in April. I had done research about working and living in Taiwan through various sites such as Forumosa, Tealit, and Dave’s ESL Cafe. Sometimes the comments in these forums must be taken with a grain of salt, as you’ve probably figured out. The best help for me came from email correspondence with other teachers whom I located through their blogs, and through networking sites such as MySpace. But as others have said, you can do only so much research, and then you just have to take the plunge.

I had a soft landing because when I first arrived I stayed in Taipei with an American and his Taiwanese roommate (whom I met through MySpace). They helped me learn how to get around (the MRT is great) and I never had to worry about how I was going to eat. Although I initially looked for work in Taipei, I ended up taking a job in Taoyuan 2 weeks later. My new employer helped me find an apartment and get settled in. I’ve heard of other schools helping in this way also.

The biggest obstacle for me so far has been the language. Trying to figure out a bus route or washing machine instructions or food labels in Chinese is a challenge. The first bed comfortor I bought was too small because it was made for a child’s bed, but I couldn’t understand the package. However, I’ve found the majority of Taiwanese extremely helpful; we can usually manage with my limited (but increasing!) Chinese, their limited English, and lots of pantomime.

You won’t have to worry about starving because there are food vendors everywhere. At first, though, if you’re too shy to walk up and point to some mysterious-looking dish, you can always find familiar food at 7-11 or Family Mart, which are located literally on every corner.

My life is far from hell. It can be challenging and frustrating sometimes, but I knew that coming in, and I consider it all part of the adventure. PM me if you’d like. Good luck to you!

PS: Look both ways–more than once–before crossing the street! Traffic is crazy here, and it’ll become obvious to you that pedestrians do not have the right of way.

[quote=“Steve4nLanguage”][quote]
PS: Look both ways–more than once–before crossing the street! Traffic is crazy here, and it’ll become obvious to you that pedestrians do not have the right of way.[/quote][/quote]

Advice of high quality !!!
I will move to Taiwan in 10 days for a long trip (many months, studies) butI already been there last year…take care of the road…and the rivers :wink: