How to take over cell phone contract?

Hi all, just wondering if anyone is moving away from Taiwan and am looking for someone to take over paying the rest of your cell phone contract? I don’t know if this is technically possible. Ideally, I’m looking for an unlimited plan with Chunghwa. I am not ready to commit to 30m contract, but I know I’ll be here for longer than just a few months so I also don’t want to pay double each month for a monthly prepay plan. Thanks for your help.

At Taoyuan Airport you can buy prepaid sim for 6 months. Think it’s 3000 or 4000 NTD, not too sure but cheaper and less hassle then buying a new one each month.

Is the data unlimited and the only way to get this kind of card is to go back to the airport?

How will you cancel the contract when you will leave taiwan? It will be renewed if you don’t cancel it.

Yes it’s unlimited data. Not too sure if you can only get it at the airport.

What’s the process to do that? Still need the original owner to go do that?

I saw a post about possibly just taking over the contract completely, but I need two forms of ID. I assume this is something both parties would need to go into a store to do this. I have my residency certificate and passport. Are these sufficient forms of ID?

Actually, mine (Prepaid) is not - the ID against it is that of the brother of a friend who lives in Neihu even. It harks back many years to when I was doing Visa Runs and it was difficult for a foreigner to get a SIM Card, and my partner could not as there was apparently a limit of one Prepaid SIM per ID. Would be messy to change now as I doubt the Phone Company (Far East) would allow a name/ID change, and that number is now recorded against my ARC, NHI as well as two Credit Cards.

As long as the friends brother is still in the country it’s really easy. You just go to the store and swap it over.

I did the same thing (used a friend who had a local id) when I first came here. But now the number is in my name.

I lost my sim card once, getting a replacement is simple enough, but you need to show the registered id!

Yes, there is a law that requires your identity to be tied to your sim card.
By giving away his prepaid SIM card the other person is violating terms and conditions of that mobile phone contract. If the phone company finds out then your prepaid card will be cancelled.

Source: Article 77 - Regulations for Administration of Mobile Broadband Businesses

Per company. But if you’re in an store where someone infected passed through, if they don’t call you, they’ll go looking for your friend’s brother. If they bother.

Thanks for that, I will see what we can do next time that I meet him (usually see him monthly). And yes, a few years ago a new phone needed a new SIM Card (Mini to Micro) and he had to come along to the store and show his ID.

Regarding thread change: @slawa I think this is good information for anyone else who has a phone number not under their name and is using it for RNA in stores.

1 Like

That linked document says that for a Foreigner that the APRC is needed - no mention of us mere mortals who have a simple ARC - hopefully ARC is ok.

1 Like

Yes

and a number of another form of identification that suffices to identify the individual

2 Likes

Or a NHI card

2 Likes

Yes thanks to both - Passport +ARC +NHI should satisfy them.

1 Like

…and your chop.

Just to satisfy the bureaucrats. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2 Likes

That I don’t have!!