Anyone tried Fedora Core 5?

I’ve got Fedora Core 4 and I’m pretty happy with it (Though I don’t use it half enough). Definitely the best distro I’ve used so far (for my particular needs), and I’ve tried several.

I noticed that FC5 is out. Has anyone used it? Any great improvements over FC4?

[quote=“irishstu”]I’ve got Fedora Core 4 and I’m pretty happy with it (Though I don’t use it half enough). Definitely the best distro I’ve used so far (for my particular needs), and I’ve tried several.

I noticed that FC5 is out. Has anyone used it? Any great improvements over FC4?[/quote]

I just installed FC5 yesterday. Seems pretty nice, but I can’t compare it with FC4 because I never used it. However, there is a nice review of FC5 here:

osnews.com/comment.php?news_id=1 … reshold=-1

Click on the “read more” to read the full review. The readers’ comments were pretty interesting too, I thought.

cheers,
DB

Yea, I

Well, I installed it yesterday, instead of sweeping tombs.

So far, so good. My initial experience:

1. No problems with customising the installation packages (I had a big problem with this in FC4, and eventually had to accept a standard install).
  2. Internet worked automatically.
  3. My fekkin no-name tv card was tuned in and worked great without any setting up[sound works too]. Sweet! (It crashes Windows XP)

I like it so far :slight_smile:

Which laptop model do you have F5 installed on? KDE or GNOME? Does the FN+F5 (mabye its different for your model) work for external displays on the fly? I got Kubuntu on my Acer 5502. Looks great, fast and snappy but im sorely missing the FN+F5 hotkey functionality working as in Windows instead of having to restart X every time you wan to hook up to an external monitor.