Everything you wanted to know about the YouBike

not enough money under the table to satisfy New Taipei officials?

Never used a Moovie bike, but as far as I know, they have to be returned to fixed “stations” (markings on the ground basically, but no docking; guess it’s all done via GPS). So it’s different from the Obike system in that regard, which was a disaster with people leaving bikes where ever the liked.

Is MOOVO MOBILITY
The company website show station map at New Taipei city and Changhua but I haven’t seen them

more info and source (Chinese)

1 Like

Looks like they are pretty much out of business. Their map only shows one bike available to rent. There was a parking spot for them near my house in Banqiao, they covered it up with black paint awhile ago though. Don’t think I saw anyone ride them either.

1 Like

Anyone know if youbike 2.0 works with the all pass? I just rode my first one for about 10 minutes and got charged 5 dollars for it, even though I have the all pass. Never got charged using 1.0

Is there a way to report broken bikes? Or do you just leave the seat turned backwards?

The 2.0 bike I got this morning was slipping in the highest gear.

Is the Youbike 2.0 already operational in New Taipei City? I’ve seen some docks around Qizhang, but not any bikes.

Today was the first day. It seems like most youbike 1.0 stations have at least 5 youbike 2.0 stations beside them.

2 Likes

They are upgrading New Taipei to 2.0

3 Likes

I found the answer on their website. It’s number 6. But now how do I get my $5 back? I assume I will have to go to a service center, which is too much of a hassle for just $5. I went ahead and sent them a message asking why I got charged and how to get it back. I will update whenever they reply.

https://taipei.youbike.com.tw/use/2_rates?_id=5e1e72b8bae2717d2b11f1f4

You can report them online on their website https://taipei.youbike.com.tw/contact/contact. You can view the bike number under your riding history and mention it in the message. I believe you can also call them to report it as well.

1 Like

Wow, we got 2.0 like two years ago in Kaohsiung.

That’s because you guys never received 1.0.

Very glad youbike is in Kaohsiung though—it’s an awesome addition to your town.

Guy

2 Likes

Yes.

Guy

What would constitute a broken bike? I’ve definitely had a few where the brakes seemed stiff or the wheels seemed off-balance.

I saw one with the seat spun 180°. It was the only one available, so I gave it a once over. Everything seemed ok until the onboard computer refused to play along.

On the one I mentioned above, the pedals would slip every ~120°. I stopped to switch bikes ~ 5ish minutes later, only to discover I had to wait 15 minutes to get another one :confused:

1 Like

Has anyone ever got a text that the YouBike (in this case 2.0) wasn’t returned? I just did. I returned it as normal, but the notice to tap the IC card didn’t come on. I pulled on it and it was locked in place. I pushed the green button and the message came on as it does when you first want to rent a bike. I didn’t want to be charged a gain so I left it. I wasn’t the first time something similar had happened.
I just called 1999 and they said the bike had no return record for the bike (meaning if anyone had taken it they hadn’t returned it) and someone may have stolen it. They said I had to go to the police station and call them and they would tell the officer what the problem was. I explained that I have little free time and couldn’t deal with this and it wasn’t my fault anyway. The lady got put me on hold and said they would look into and call me if they had any information or after 3 months, but I couldn’t use the card until then.
What happens if it’s never found? Do I have to buy a new bike? If it is found, to I have to pay the cost of using it for however many days it takes to find it? Don’t those bikes have GPS anyway?

3 Likes

The exact same thing happened to me a few years ago. In fact, my experience is probably in this thread somewhere.

Anyway, YouBike told me to make a police report (bike was returned in Tapei but I made the report in Taoyuan where I live). I thought that was the end of it, but the next time I tried to rent a bike my card was locked out. When I contacted YouBike again, they said they’d look into it. Later I got a letter saying that I owed YouBike $9,000NT for the bike. My complaints did nothing.

I tried getting a new Easy Card but the You Bike account goes by phone number so I couldn’t register the new card. For a couple of years I used a credit card at the kiosk to rent bikes.

Later, a friend who was leaving Taiwan gave me his Easy Card that was registered with YouBike and now I just use that card and keep topping it off.

It’s an utterly ridiculous situation. I haven’t checked back with YouBike in a couple of years so maybe my record is cleared by now, but I’m not hopeful.

I hope your situation turns out better than mine.

9 Likes

Dang, that’s a nightmare! So you did everything they asked and they still charged you. I’ve got other cards, iPass and the EasyCard app, all under the same phone number. I wonder if they still work. Your problem was with 1.0? 2.0 have GPS. Surely they can track it down. Why would anyone want one anyway?
I don’t need this now!

2 Likes

Yes, 1.0. I’ve never tried to rent a 2.0 bike; I assume it’s the same system as 1.0?

When this happened to me I assumed they somehow electronically kept track of the bikes but I guess I was wrong. I even asked YouBike if they could somehow check the cameras that are around the station I returned the bike to, but that never got done.

I’ve loved every other thing about YouBike except this one thorny issue (and the temporary Taiwan ID only registration fiasco); otherwise, I’d just say screw it.

3 Likes

No, I rented a 1.0 this morning and the lady on the phone said that was still possible.

GPS seems to be new with 2.0. Of course if it was stolen the computer is the first thing the thief will bust off. At least they never chased you up about the money. Did you get just the one bill? I don’t suppose they will sue you for that amount. But the YouBike administration has changed, so I don’t know what they’ll do now. Hopefully, they’ll have a better way of dealing with it. Anyway, they told me 3 months so maybe I won’t be pulling late nights by then. IIIIFFFF that’s really what they should have told me. One never knows.

1 Like