Everything you wanted to know about the YouBike

I was told that if you arrive at a full station, you can go to the kiosk and somehow get a free 60-minute extension so you can ride to another station to return the bike. Has anyone done this? How does it work?

Seems like Youbike has really caught on since it was introduced last year.I see more and more stations being set up toward the west end.

It’s actually been around for several years, but the stations used to be only concentrated around Xinyi District; now they’re everywhere. I prefer them to taking the bus (unless it’s raining).

I don’t know if there’s an option to press at a station, but if you’re still within your free 30 minutes, just park the bike and rent a new one for another free half hour.

1 Like

[quote=“Incubus”]I was told that if you arrive at a full station, you can go to the kiosk and somehow get a free 60-minute extension so you can ride to another station to return the bike. Has anyone done this? How does it work?

[/quote]

You just go to the kiosk and find the “find empty kiosk” or similar wording. Enter the bike number and follow the prompts. You should then be given extra minutes.

[quote=“nonredneck”][quote=“Incubus”]I was told that if you arrive at a full station, you can go to the kiosk and somehow get a free 60-minute extension so you can ride to another station to return the bike. Has anyone done this? How does it work?

[/quote]

You just go to the kiosk and find the “find empty kiosk” or similar wording. Enter the bike number and follow the prompts. You should then be given extra minutes.[/quote]
That’s good to know. Thanks!

The Youbike authority is asking riders to turn the seat backward if they find a defective bike (broken bell, brakes, flats, etc). Apparently, they have repairmen that make the rounds to look for defective bikes, and the turned seat allows them to spot bikes that need repairing.

I tried YouBike for the first time today. The bikes are kind of lousy but good enough for riding on the outside sidewalk at city speeds. The station I went to near Dongmen had several defective bikes but there were a bunch of repairmen on the job trying to figure out what went wrong. Finding another station was a bit of a pain: the app is Chinese-only and the webpage is not mobile-friendly. Still, after learning the system and without a bike I would not hesitate to hop on again for certain routes cutting across the city when I don’t feel like transferring on the MRT three times to get somewhere.

Did ride a bit in the Datong District. So far no stations in the area. I think Taipei Expo Park/Art Museum and MRT stations like Minquan W. Rd. and Shuanglian should be considered as locations next. It’s not a bad idea to have station under large elevated roads, but not sure if already existing stations at Jianguao/Civic Blvd. and Xinsheng/Xinhai make much sense. I’d rather see more MRT stations being connected first.

not sure what app you mean. the kiosk app has english. just look for the english button on screen. the "fun travel in taipei " android app has an english interface. though they reversed the number of available bikes and number of free spaces in the youbike panels.

They give the bikes protection from rain. We’re entering the plum rain season. I’d imagine a month from now there’ll be quite a few rusty bikes. But you’re right. The Jianguao/Civic station makes little sense. Not a neighborhood anyone would go to except the 27 people that live there. But Xinsheng/Xinhai is a popular station. Lots of NTU students take advantage of it.

not sure what app you mean. the kiosk app has english. just look for the english button on screen. the "fun travel in taipei " android app has an english interface. though they reversed the number of available bikes and number of free spaces in the youbike panels.[/quote]

I was talking about whatever Youbike app I downloaded for my Android device. I assume it is the official app.

not sure what app you mean. the kiosk app has english. just look for the english button on screen. the "fun travel in taipei " android app has an english interface. though they reversed the number of available bikes and number of free spaces in the youbike panels.[/quote]

I was talking about whatever Youbike app I downloaded for my Android device. I assume it is the official app.[/quote]

Search play store for “fun travel in taipei” the app should have an English version.

On the news last night somebody spent 15 hours riding a youbike up the central cross island highway to the highest point (over 3200 meters in elevation). When he returned the bike in Taipei, the machine charged him over $800. That’s with the first free 30 minutes I take it.

Right here:

ettoday.net/news/20130610/220125.htm

If you don’t read Chinese, enjoy the photos. (And then go learn Chinese.)

LOL too funny. Can’t imagine taking one of those hogs all the way up there, that guy must be a beast! Now I feel like such a pussy for always complaining about how heavy my bike is in the mountains.

Here’s an article in English:

focustaiwan.tw/news/aall/201306110040.aspx

“It proves that our YouBikes are sturdy enough even for riding up to the mountains,” Hau said. “Citizens can enjoy riding them with even greater confidence.” pffffttt…

[quote=“PaddyB”]LOL too funny. Can’t imagine taking one of those hogs all the way up there, that guy must be a beast! Now I feel like such a pussy for always complaining about how heavy my bike is in the mountains.

“It proves that our YouBikes are sturdy enough even for riding up to the mountains,” Hau said. “Citizens can enjoy riding them with even greater confidence.” pffffttt…[/quote]

I love the overreaction too…like droves of people are now going to be trying this or holding onto the bikes for many days.

[quote=“squall1”][quote=“PaddyB”]LOL too funny. Can’t imagine taking one of those hogs all the way up there, that guy must be a beast! Now I feel like such a pussy for always complaining about how heavy my bike is in the mountains.

“It proves that our YouBikes are sturdy enough even for riding up to the mountains,” Hau said. “Citizens can enjoy riding them with even greater confidence.” pffffttt…[/quote]
I love the overreaction too…like droves of people are now going to be trying this or holding onto the bikes for many days.[/quote]

No kidding. A Progressive pricing system planned for YouBike after ‘abuse’ seems a little unnecessary. I’d have thought they’d be delighted at the free promotion. I mean, if that guy can ride one for 15 hours up to Wuling then surely Mr Office Worker can take one a couple of blocks across Taipei. It’s not like the system is suffering under overuse, is it? One bike goes AWOL for a few hours, so what?

Maybe if teams of cyclists started to do the Huan Dao :sunglasses: then they might have a problem.

[quote=“antarcticbeech”][quote=“squall1”][quote=“PaddyB”]LOL too funny. Can’t imagine taking one of those hogs all the way up there, that guy must be a beast! Now I feel like such a pussy for always complaining about how heavy my bike is in the mountains.

I love the overreaction too…like droves of people are now going to be trying this or holding onto the bikes for many days.[/quote]

No kidding. A Progressive pricing system planned for YouBike after ‘abuse’ seems a little unnecessary. I’d have thought they’d be delighted at the free promotion. I mean, if that guy can ride one for 15 hours up to Wuling then surely Mr Office Worker can take one a couple of blocks across Taipei. It’s not like the system is suffering under overuse, is it? One bike goes AWOL for a few hours, so what?

Maybe if teams of cyclists started to do the Huan Dao :sunglasses: then they might have a problem.[/quote]

The bike went AWOL? He rented and returned it.

They should do like in Paris:
• 30 minutes free
• 1st additional half hour: €1
• 2nd additional half hour: €2
• From the 3rd additional half hour and per half hour thereafter: €4

Then, you must plant a lot of station to make it a real commuting service. I see some areas in Taipei have very few stations.
Additionally, I doubt about the number of rental. 25000 per days for 3380 bikes for 100 stations ?! Paris does 85000 per day with about 16000 bikes up-and-running on 1250 stations and the system has been there for years…

The first 30 minutes are free here as well. Of course Paris has more bikes and stations, as the system, as you say, “has been there for years.” Give it some time.

They ARE “planting” them. When I started this thread less than a year ago, a new station had just been set up in my neighborhood. There were no stations near my office. Now there are two stations in my neighborhood (both within 5 min walk from my house). Two stations are being set up near my office (no bikes yet but the kiosks and parking docks are all hooked up). Like Poagao said, give it some time.

[quote=“PaddyB”]LOL too funny. Can’t imagine taking one of those hogs all the way up there, that guy must be a beast! Now I feel like such a pussy for always complaining about how heavy my bike is in the mountains.

Ha! From that article:

[quote]
A YouBike (front) that has a flat tire and damaged seat is seen in this photo taken on Monday.[/quote]

The reversed seat is done on purpose to let it be known that the bike has a problem (flat tyre), as recommended by those who run YouBike. Idiots.