Everything you wanted to know about the YouBike

Yeah, you really notice the illegally parked cars when you are riding a bicycle because you are going slower than the main flow of traffic, so negotiating around them puts you in the line of everything moving faster from behind you.

Yeah, you really notice the illegally parked cars when you are riding a bicycle because you are going slower than the main flow of traffic, so negotiating around them puts you in the line of everything moving faster from behind you.[/quote]
All the more reason to ride on the sidewalk, something I wouldn’t dream of doing in the states. But here it’s actually a very good idea, especially late at night when cars whiz by you at high speeds.

Since April 1, first 30 mins of YouBike use is free in Taipei City after or before transferring to/from bus/MRT. Used to be 5 NT.

Yes. And also the Google.

Some new youbike docks are popping up around Taipei. Not the regular dual kind, but slimmer, shaped like a blade. Wonder how they’re different from the conventional ones.

I been loving youbike lately. Really convenient when weather/temperature/rain cooperates and air pollution is low.

There will be new Youbikes too in 2020

1 Like

The current bikes seem sturdy and reliable. Hope the new ones aren’t a step backward. But I predict, well, probably.

1 Like

Yeah, they look like O-bikes which definitely didn’t ride as well.

I just looked up this new version. The new bike will have the control panel right on the bike (in the center of the handlebars as hannes’s pic shows) instead of on the dock, and the docks are solar powered so they can be set up wherever the sun shines. Otherwise, the bike itself is the same as the original one. Looks like they’re having a trial run in the NTU/Gongguan area first to see how it’s received by the public.

1 Like

Is that a smart move?
I mean, there’ll be more expensive and sensitive components in each bike, as well as increasing costs (as for now, one dock serves two bikes, so it will at least double the number of required panels).

Not to mention the increased weight of the bike.

2 Likes

Yes the new docks have already been installed I saw them last week by the taida’s north gate

Is that a new disc brake on the front, or am I seeing things?

If anyone tries the new bikes, report back. I’m curious about this.

Guy

Doubtful. Disc brakes, especially hydraulic ones, are high maintenance and may be too responsive for the casual rider. I think that’s a roller brake.

1 Like

Seems like they do a pretty good job of maintaining green smiley faces.

That will really depend on time of day. Middle of the day, gotta assume usage is much less than rush hour.

One by my building in Xinyi goes empty around 530-6PM on weekdays.

Youbike charges/fees/cost/price.

Fell asleep with bike at home. Luckily youbike sent me a text and woke me up.

“YouBike rate is calculated as “progressive rate”, and it will cost 20 yuan per 30 minutes for 4 to 8 hours. Then 40 yuan every 30 minutes…”

Only cost me nt$135. Less than I spend on a long ride.

3 Likes

Hm, didn’t know they actually notify you. Very helpful!