Anyone use Shopify?

I’m thinking about switching from woocommerce to Shopify. I originally used Woocommerce because it was free to use, just need to buy a domain and pay for hosting. But using woocommerce under the Wordpress platform is hard to do as I’m not a web designer. It’s hard to make changes to the site and update the look and feel of the site. The e-commerce function is fine, just hard to make changes to the look of the site.

But Shopify is 29.99 a month, and I’m a bit worried about migrating the site.

I’ve noticed that for some of the Shopify-related freelance work that I’ve done, most people manage well enough to customise their own Shopify themes. They usually purchase a paid layout and then tweak it themselves. Overall, I think the interface is easy enough to use that I only really get asked to help when they can’t figure out how to add extra functionality, or if the task requires tweaking CSS/JS files for plugins they’ve installed.

If woocommerce is working for you, I’d suggest staying with it. I believe the 29.99 is just for the basic shopify plan. You may want to compare what features your current solution has that shopify doesn’t have built-in. And check out the shopify extensions to see the total monthly cost.

WooCommerce as a e-commerce plugin works great on Wordpress. But Wordpress the platform is so hard to use and need web design skills. It’s different to make it look good and make changes. And there’s no support. You have to do it or hire someone to do it if there are problems. Shopify is build specifically for e-commerce while Wordpress is more of a blogging site what has a good e-commerce plugin that’s free.

So that is the trade off.

I also noticed Shopify has their own payment processing. They take 2.2% plus £0.20 per transaction. That’s better than using PayPal right now that takes 2.9% and £0.30.

Yeah. That’s why I’m thinking about switching. It’s easy to use in terms of changing how your site looks and keeping it clean. You really need to spend time with Wordpress to make it look nice.

Oh for sure, man. It’s definitely a trade off between time and spending a bit more for the monthly fee. But hey, if it saves you time and doesn’t require much code wrangling (and frustration), then I reckon it’s worth it. Also, while I’ve not done it myself, here’s a link about migrating from WooCommerce to Shopify from the official docs. Hope that helps!

I have decided to migrate to Shopify. The cost is more but I think the ease of use when designing the website is worth it.

There’s also a good plugin for online courses that we want to develop.

Elementor Pro https://elementor.com/ for wordpress using the free Astra Theme https://wpastra.com/ and using Stripe and PayPal is a good mix for a cost effective online shop.

Elementor makes customising and editing wordpress much quicker and easier with drag and drop and built in plugins.

I use elementor but it’s still not as easy as how Shopify is.

Yeah it is a good platform. It works for a lot of people and seems worth it. Its the plugin costs that can bite into budgets compared to wordpress.

Just need some hosting for email accounts or another email provider to use for domain related email accounts.