Anyone using t-star 4g?

Specifically the “up to 300mbps” package.

I’m thinking of just getting a sim contract instead of bothering to install a home fixed line, the offer seems good, 499 for unlimited 4g.

But is it actually any good? I don’t need masses of speed, enough for hd streaming and a decent download speed for my music files (wav format)

When I was thinking of switching to Taiwan Mobile (大哥大), they gave me a SIM card that was activated for 7 days so I could test out the signal at my home, work, etc. Maybe ask them if you can test it out.

thks so much for the suggestion, tstar do indeed offer a one month trial :blush:

1 Like

I have it. The NT 388 unlimited 4G package. I’m doing what you want to do with it, not wanting to bother with a home line. It’s fine for me. The fastest speed test has been 22 mbps for me. That in reality is 2 mbps per second for downloads. Their packages are probably faster now, I got mine about 6 months ago.

I just switched to 大哥大 about a month ago for NT 599 unlimited 4G. Just tested with speedtest and got 78.24 Mbps.

@monokuro, if you are looking at NT 499 but can only expect 22 Mbps, might want to consider paying the extra NT 100. I’d definitely take them up on the free trial just to make sure. :2cents:

You get what you pay for. When I call t star users on things like line. They often drop.

My mistake, it’s 288 for the 20mbps and 399 for the 300mbps.

I’ll be sure to test it thoroughly these weeks!

@Yang_Gui_Zi Do you need to be a Taiwanese citizen for that 大哥大package? Cuz you need a local to sign up for you with the T-star deal.

I’m not a citizen, but do have an APRC. I also moved my number from Chungwa. I had been with them for 6 years.

You might need to put down a refundable deposit. Do you have an ARC?

Tstar won’t let foreigners sign up without a guarantor. I was just kicking the tires to see what plans they had but they immediately asked if I had a local friend who would cosign and when I said no (won’t do that out of principle) they said sorry and took the customer behind me. They will not accept deposits either.
I haven’t tried a complaint to the telecom commission but that might work however my contract with Taiwan mobile isnt up quite yet

6 years with 3 other carriers with perfect history and still get told I need a babysitter.

But now their plans aren’t really that special as the big 3 have come close with $599 unlimited 4g plans with a bigger network.

Oh yeah, the deposit. Forgot about that. I have an APRC. I had a local guarantor for my T-star contract.

I’m sure it’s one of those YMMV situations. I’d just go in and ask them. Smile, be polite, speak Chinese if you can, and you shouldn’t have a problem. Especially with an APRC.

OK, thanks. Will do that when the current T-star contract expires.

Ok, so it’s not very impressive.

Last night I was getting around 1.3mbps, although it got better in the early am to around 15mbps.

Today it’s hovering around 6mbps.

Interestingly though, my Taiwan mobile wasn’t faring too much better (hit 25mbps when tstar was doing its 15)

Will try a fareastone next, see if there’s any better.

If not, what would be the cheapest fixed line I could get? Cht were talking around 800 a month, but I heard a cable company can usually do a lot cheaper?

T-Star 4G does everything that I need to do. I don’t measure my speed but I use internet radio constantly in the background, use Facebook, and watch online videos. There seems to be no lag and signal strength , and reliability was actually better than my normal Chunghwa Telecom 4G.
I actually use T-Star inplace of my home wifi for internet radio when doing activities like house work that require me to be moving between wifi zones.

Are you having any issues when doing WhatsApp calls ? Since few months ago it fails to make calls and I have to try many times before it really rings and connects

T-Star Plans Are Special!!!
About once a year they roll out a really cheap deal. But there is a limited number of subscriptions available.
This year was $188 a month and $88 a month.
Last year I got the $129 a month plan. the year before my wife got a discount plan but it was around $200.
Because there is a big demand, it takes a lot of work to get through the sign up process. you will make it partially through and then you’ll be dumped out of the system and have to try again.
It took my wife several hours to get through the previous years.
This last membership promotion we were unlucky.

I presume the deal is designed that our ARC numbers wont work? I remember trying for this deal last year and it didnt like my card number.

Im with YaTai for $249 a month unlimited data but it also wouldnt take my id, had to be manually processed at a store.
I dont think these cheap deals will come again though

I think it’s WhatsApp in general. I only use it with a couple of my overseas customers, so it’s not very often. Recently had to talk to a couple of them and there was pretty bad lag and disconnect problems.

T-Star is great! Our family nabbed three subscriptions. We for two years we got the best price. But we failed this year and got the next best one. As far as reliability… All apps are great and in my area it even has a better signal in our concrete and steal home the the telephone company.
In our house I sometime use it in place of our home wifi.