Anything I Should Worry About While Living in the Taipei Hostel?

I’ve been going to Taipei Hostel for 23 years. So they must be doing something right.

gotta kind of love the OP’s attitude - not really in search of objective advice or alternatives - just things to worry about!
:2cents: :whistle: :popcorn:

When I originally posted this I wasn’t aware of how many alternative options there were out there. Thanks for the help, guys.

Scabies dude! Watch out for Scabies!

yeah guys. thanks for the advice. im going in exactly 33 days. this thread is exactly what i need. please keep the recommendations coming.

edited post

I stayed at the Cat’s Pajamas Hostel last weekend and it was the best hostel that I’ve stayed at anywhere. tcphostel.com/

450/night (long term cheaper I think) and they really put a little extra into setting up. And clean, clean, clean.

Is the Paradise Hotel still open near by Taipei Main station. That’s where many a newbie at Shane were holed up back in the days … Grotty as hell, but at least they provided the Rainbow channel!

Hey guys, it’s the OP here. Well my semi-vacation in the States is over and I’m back in Taiwan, now staying at Cat’s Pajamas. With the exception of being a little bit cramped as far as space to store stuff, and a bit stuffy since it’s on the basement level and they don’t keep the AC on all the time (would be worse in summer), the place is not bad.

Once again, thanks to everyone for the suggestions, especially since they helped me avoid staying at the Taipei Hostel, (which I did check out today, and it looked old and run-down, and the care-taker didn’t have a very good attitude, and he said the kitchen could only be used to make instant noodles, etc.)

(I did check out the Meeting Place, which looks not bad either, but Cat’s Pajamas is closer to the Taida area and I may be going to class around here soon.)

I tried to stay at The Meeting Place a month ago and they’ve now changed their policy to ‘two-day or longer stays only’. Was very disappointed.

I’m glad to find out about TCP though :smiley: And love the name!

Well, I’m happy to report that a week into my stay here at the Cat’s Pajamas hostel, the first incident has occurred.

Last night, the bunk below me was occupied by a new person. I got back a little late and didn’t see the person’s face, she was already in bed. I had to make a bit of noise to get my clothes and stuff out to take a shower (unavoidable, as the room houses 8 people), and this elicited angry coughs from the new tenant. Later, there was more angry coughing and such from her as other people came and went from the room (unlike me, they even turned the lights the on and stuff). Then in the the night, I rolled over, not loudly or anything, and our friendly tenant kicked my bunk from below.

The next morning, I left early, and when I returned in the afternoon, I was happy to hear from the other residents, as well as the staff, that the woman was a psycho who had arisen in a foul mood, sworn at several people, calling them “bitches” and “fags,” and then left. Hooray!

I want clarify that this experience doesn’t seem to be the norm here. Thus far, the other people and staff I’ve met here at Cat’s PJs have been friendly and pleasant.

[quote=“John Yu”]Well, I’m happy to report that a week into my stay here at the Cat’s Pajamas hostel, the first incident has occurred.

Last night, the bunk below me was occupied by a new person. I got back a little late and didn’t see the person’s face, she was already in bed. I had to make a bit of noise to get my clothes and stuff out to take a shower (unavoidable, as the room houses 8 people), and this elicited angry coughs from the new tenant. Later, there was more angry coughing and such from her as other people came and went from the room (unlike me, they even turned the lights the on and stuff). Then in the the night, I rolled over, not loudly or anything, and our friendly tenant kicked my bunk from below.

The next morning, I left early, and when I returned in the afternoon, I was happy to hear from the other residents, as well as the staff, that the woman was a psycho who had arisen in a foul mood, sworn at several people, calling them “bitches” and “fags,” and then left. Hooray![/quote]
Did she call them fags because she didn’t get laid? Of just general abuse?

People like that shouldn’t be staying in dorm rooms in social hostels. Ear plugs are essential when staying in a dorm room.

[quote=“fenlander”][quote=“John Yu”]Well, I’m happy to report that a week into my stay here at the Cat’s Pajamas hostel, the first incident has occurred.

The next morning, I left early, and when I returned in the afternoon, I was happy to hear from the other residents, as well as the staff, that the woman was a psycho who had arisen in a foul mood, sworn at several people, calling them “bitches” and “fags,” and then left. Hooray![/quote]
Did she call them fags because she didn’t get laid? Of just general abuse?[/quote]

I think she’s just got a few wires loose up there.

However, I will kill someone who turns on the light when someone’s sleeping. Be polite and use your bloody phone.

Sounds to me like she hadn’t ever stayed in a hostel before. Getting woken up is par for the course. If you don’t have ear plugs the only other solution is to get sufficiently drunk so that you won’t get woken up.

Amateur.

So I take it you recommend Cat Pajamas? How much does it cost? Have you checked other Hostels in the city to see how they compare in price and quality?

But it’s a little different here, cuz there’s 8 people in 1 room, some people nap in the afternoons as well as early evenings, and there isn’t much space to store your stuff outside the room, so you gotta go back in to get stuff.

I do recommend it if you’re willing to pay $450/night and share space with other people. It’s not very big and I wouldn’t recommend coming here in the summer because they’ll only turn on the AC at night and the sleeping area is in the basement level, so a little bit stuff. But they keep the place clean and with the exception of the kicking lady the people seem pretty nice.

As far as other places, I checked out Taipei Hostel and Meeting Place. Definitely wouldn’t recommend the former; like I mentioned earlier it seemed old and run-down, the caretaker didn’t have a very good attitude, and the he even said the kitchen could only be used to make instant noodles. The Meeting Place, on the other hand, looks decent. It’s bigger and cheaper (as low as 300/night) than Cat’s PJs; the reason I’m not staying here is because the location is a bit out of the way for me (Meeting Place - Songshan, Cat’s PJs - close to Taipower Bldg Station)