Anything new after 10 years?

Youbike’s relatively new - and its range is certainly new - but I’m not sure how much that’s worth checking out for the OP. Are there any good YouBike routes through across the city? I can see potential for routes across town, but that potential would rely on avoiding Taipei traffic, and I’m not sure that’s an option.

The riverside cycling paths have expanded somewhat since ten years ago, although even ten years ago I think most of them were in place. Those are definitely nice for a few hours, weather permitting. Riding YouBikes one-way between Guandu and Danshui may be the best short trip on that; from Danshui around to Bali is a nice slightly longer route. YouBike has a fairly good iOS app for finding stations and bike availability.

There’s the new light rails in Taipei and Kaohsiung. The Danhai light rail is brand spanking new. It can’t reach the fisherman’s wharf yet, but the view is still pretty nice. Kaohsiung’s light rail is pretty great as well.

If we are talking sports, Taoyuan’s Lamigo Monkeys has transformed baseball watching experience in Taiwan. Every weekend games is like a mini festival now. The stadium is clean and organized. The quality of food vendors is also great at the Taoyuan stadium.

Maybe 5 places to eat including Alleycats pizza. Only about 5-10 shops. A few more stalls selling trinkets on some weekends. Also, small exhibitions continually changing but not always happening. And a SPOT theater that shows international art films. Not a lot there really, but worth a visit and a stroll.

Songshan Creative Park has opened which is similar to Huashan. Has larger exhibitions and next to Eslite shopping mall and hotel. Small lake to stroll.
Songshan Cultural and Creative Park No 1. Warehouse
No. 133號, Guangfu South Road, Xinyi District, Taipei City
https://goo.gl/maps/G6bgHHWeAMz

Treasure Hill is not really happening but worth a visit if bored. A couple coffee shops only. But walk near the river at night for BBQ.

Yeah overall it’s a bit dull but looks nice.

Wanhua, diua jie , Riverside area and also Ximen Ding and Beimen have all been spruced up.

Nope. Nor Songshan Culture Park. Nor the new Children´s Amusement Park in Shilin. Nor the huge play area at Jiantan, what was the Taipei Flora Expo grounds.

Taipei is much more traveller friendly, especialy for families.

Oh we got a double decker tour bus now.

For kids and adults, there is the Maritime Science Museum in Keelung. You can take the train to Badouzi, and enjoy the bike/rail combo going along the coast, which means you drive a pedalled car through the rails parallel to the beach. You can visit the museum and the fish town nearby.

ATT4FUN was just getting started 10 years ago. Now it’s happening with different bars and clubs and food.

As is it’s ok but the phase 2 that would have actually made it usable is now in limbo/dead thanks to Korea-Yu :angry:

Is that worth checking out? I’m seeing mixed reviews.

If you do hit Kavalan in Yilan, be sure to hit Jim & Dads too. Jim is an abt. He brews great beer.
In tpe, there are many great taprooms (f redpoint. Worst tw microbrew)
碧耳貓
啤啤精釀啤酒屋
掌門
家途中啤酒屋
米凱樂啤酒吧
Oh, and Taihu too

Kids like it. It is OKish. Mostly it is worthy for the trip, the setting, the architecture and some fish knowledge, of course.

Take the branch train line from Ruifang to get there is half the fun.

There’s also Syntrend across the street. It wasn’t there 10 years ago. Good juxtaposition of the old and the new if you stop by both Huashan and Syntrend in one visit.

Bopiliao. It’s not “new”; it’s over a century old, but they’ve done a great job restoring it and it’s worth a stroll through and a photo session.

take the general “northern taiwan” area, and go south from that. That would likely be considered south of the northern region of taiwan…:wink: Though for pollution sake lets call it Taijong south. South and middle taiwan. aka south of norhtern taiwan. Though admittedly im not so familiar with Miaoli and that area so not sure how its changed.

there is also the flora expo near Taijong. you and your family might like it. Its not really that good, but if agriculture isnt the main idea and just looking for something to do, it is happening now. Same in Pingtung with the tropical agriculture expo. its gone down hill as well, but still a fun day out. Not sure if this year will have the orchid show in Tainan, it stopped for a few years, but could check the dates on that if its happening this year.

The olf flora expo grounds in Taipei, which was a truly good expo is now a park. i was there last month and much was closed off for construction, but its a nice place to walk around if you are in Taipei and trying to stay close while getting out of the city. Air traffic and highway is noisy though.

OP will be in a shock when he visits your friends and finds out how much they’ve changed since the last time he met your friends.

Then that’s called CENTRAL Taiwan and it is simply UNTRUE that the air quality is worse now in Taichung than 10 years ago. It used to be so much worse and 2018 in particular was pretty ok.

its called central and southern taiwan. everything south of northern taiwan. damn man, stressed out much?

10 years ago i would regularly see bluish skies in Taichung. Southern taiwan was WAY better than now without question. now i can rarely see the mountains and the pollution has gone from white to a grey color. in taichung you may be right technically, but it sure doesnt look better. ive been taking pictures all around taiwan as im traveling for work and amazed at the differences. Though that is no official reading, granted. im also getting serious eye and breathing problems after about a day going back west to work. my skin used to only burn during acid rain, now it happens when its dry out. sun burns are also less severe than before ive noticed. probably not due to the sun dimming.

And great weather! Air conditioned!

He’s always like this. He’d find a way to argue with you if you said grass is green. Pay him no mind.