Anything worth watching on TV?

The answer is most likely a resounding Nothing if you don’t have cable. But even with some 90 channels to surf, I seldom find a show that attracts my rewatching these days. I’m not talking about the sporadic good films on HBO or Star Movies, but shows that are on regularly. I remember last year, “Survivor” was on Much TV, and that kept me riveted. But that’s gone now. (I’m sorry, but “The Amazing Race” just doesn’t measure up.) A month ago, “Six Feet Under” was on HBO, but alas, that’s over too. What’s a good show(s) that keeps you tuned in week/day after week/day in Taiwan?

Try Discovery, National Geographic, and the Knowledge Channel.

Any programs in particular on those channels? Much of Discovery is now dubbed in Chinese. :frowning:

You want watchable things in your box? Mei You Wenti!. Get a DVD player, and venture down to your local night market, Carrefour etc and get some cheap VCD’s - that should help. I don’t have cable, as I moved recently. After 2 cable-free months, I discovered that I don’t miss it. A good DVD or 2 is enough to keep me happy.

How about Star!?! I must have my daily dose of the Simpsons!!!

And there’s that new show starting tonight. Dunno how new, but grounded for life. Star is definately the go.

Oops, when do they show simpsons?

I really miss that.

Never home that early, but they’re on Starworld at 6:00pm weeknight, and the new ones are on Sunday night.

I love the Japanese travel/eating progs. The presenter travels around Japan stops in food joints, samples their wares, pulls a funny face, makes an extremely Japanese show of appreciation then moves onto a hot spring hotel for the night. Riveting stuff!! I have yet to find a local show that i like as much; there’s a few local copies of this style of show but they just don’t do it for me. It’s a real pity because it would really help my Chinese; i watch the Japanese version with Chinese subtitles and give myself a pat on the back if i recognise that Mandarin ‘fish’ character then get back to enjoyng the show. I also find myself transfixed by the Japanese fishing progs.

All can be found on channels 50 & 51 (on my TV anyway)

And, as if you hadn’t guessed, a huge smoke first works wonders.

Our Star has some CCTV shite on until 8pm every night. The Simpsons shows at 6 %^^&& 30.

Mark, i am aslo transfixed by those Japanese food and travel shows. Did you see the one recently where contestants are sent on a Hot Spring quest? Bizarro!

I, unfortunately, don’t have any smokes.

To tell you the truth Alley, it’s been so long since I’ve knocked off before 6, that I can’t be sure. I didn’t even buy todays paper, so I even can’t cross reference there. I’d open up the china post tc guide link, but am knackered yet still need to go to work soon, so I’ve forgotten. But I did watch them a few sunday nights ago.

Sunday night. Hope I can find star down in Yangmei, then.

[quote=“Mark0938”]I love the Japanese travel/eating progs. The presenter travels around Japan stops in food joints, samples their wares, pulls a funny face, makes an extremely Japanese show of appreciation then moves onto a hot spring hotel for the night. Riveting stuff!![/quote]Come to think of it, the new and improved Knowledge channel has several such shows. “Travelers” is one; “Globe Trekker” is another. I especially like the host Ian Wright, who’s very personable and funny.

Much TV also used to have some episodes of Dilbert in English, but lately I have only seen the ones in Chinese, and to me it kind of takes away the humor… They also show South Park, but they are all in Chinese… I hate when they translate them all… but hey this is Taiwan right? :wink:

[quote=“JeffG”]They also show South Park, but they are all in Chinese… I hate when they translate them all… [/quote] South Park is practically a different show in Chinese, with characters like James Soong and Vice President Annette Lu. :unamused:

Travellers is such a bunch of bull. When they visited Cape Town, I had to hear that Black people were denied access to education.

Although, spending on education was in favor of whites, 7:1, in fact, black people were never “denied” an education.

Typically American I’d say i.e downright uninformed and emotionally exploitative.

AGREE!

Tripe, tripe, and more tripe in general.

Some of the lonely planet travel shows are amusing, although they are years out of date.

My favourite channel is Knowledge Channel. Not to be missed is Keith Floyd, itinerant inebriant chef, cooking ootdoors often in the remotest places.

Sure, the guy can cook, but the attraction is watching this most obnoxious and often sozzled man hurl slurred insults at his tortured cameraman while dancing between the cooking pan and his trademark glass of red.

Yes, yes. Before meeting Sandamn, I always suspected that he was really Floyd.

Say what you will, but Floyd can cook up a storm. If you like barbies and are without a copy of Floyd on Fire, you’re missing out.