Anything worth watching on TV?

OK, so you guys are into culture, travel and eating shows, and that has it’s place, but what had me transfixed for a while was the UFC (Ultimate Fighting Championship). That shit’s impressive. Sure, when the sport first started it was just a bunch of fat guys punching each other, but now they are elite athletes, olympic gold medal wrestlers, golden gloves boxers and brazilian jiu-jitsu champions. One can finally learn the answer to that age-old question, “which fighting art is the greatest?” and of course it’s wrestling.

I’ve got cable, but can’t get Starworld for some reason.
I only watch Monday night animation on AXN as I’m not home between 7 and 9 on other days.
What can I do to get The Simpsons?

Kazaa

Though I can’t understand a word they say, there’s one Japanese show that always makes me pause to watch it whenever I come across it. Various teams go on stage to mimic different things with creative ways of portraying them. This morning I saw a guy playing a tank wading across a river. His head was the turret, and the shots fired from the gun was created with cigarette smoke. All the action speaks for itself. There’s no need to know any Japanese. :slight_smile:

meteor garden! hahha

Anybody see the new season of The Amazing Race? I gotta admit, when I first saw the show a year ago, I thought it was the silliest show, seeing bunch of people with their backpacks running around airports and cursing at each other. But it grew on me after several episodes as you get to know the teams, their alliances, and the intricacies of the relationships.

The new season has its share of odd couples. In addition to the token gay couple, there’s the NFL wives, air traffic controller buddies, and dating-for-12-years virgins :unamused: The first leg was LA to Milan. A fat, fortysomething couple was the first to go. Eleven teams remaining. The show’s on at 11:30 Monday night on AXN.

Michael Palin was travelling round China and going to Vietnam (in English) on Knowledge last night.

Six Feet Under is back on HBO…I am completely addicted

StarWorld also has Law and Order SVU on Tuesday night…I miss this show alot and cannot download it from Kazaa…any other L&O fans out there with advice?

AXN on Sunday nights has a great show called CSI and the spinoff series CSI Miami is dowloadable from Kazaa…I have the entire 1st season on my HD as well as the entire WestWing series…anyone wanting to borrow them can PM me.

[quote=“Toe Save”]AXN on Sunday nights has a great show called CSI [/quote]And it’s two episodes back to back. I just love CSI. Great special effects, lighting, and camera work on top of the whodunit plot.

AXN is one of my favorite channels. If you’re into reality shows, that’s the channel to tune in, e.g., Fear Factor, Eco-Challenge, the Amazing Race, and a new one called Worst Case Scenario.

I like the Knowledge Channel. Saturdays seem to be their cooking and traveling show day.

I have enjoyed watching the series “A Cook’s Tour.” The star is a famous New York chef and author named Anthony Bourdain (sp. ?). He wrote the best-seller Kitchen Confidential and, I believe, a few novels as well as the book (A Cook’s Tour) that the TV series is based upon.

He does have a bit of an attitude, but I find the show very watchable.

I always catch it on Saturdays at 13:00. Two half-hour episodes (related) air at that time and then again at 19:00. Last week was Japan. Previous episodes have included San Francisco, Morocco, Russia, and New York City.

I am not as big a fan of “The Thirsy Traveller” but the other travel/food shows are good–I think some are done by the same production company that did Lonely Planet episodes in the past.

Other than that, “Six Feet Under” and “CSI” are the only shows I tune in for. Oh, and Fei Ge and Kang Kang and that whole weird variety show on Saturday nights. For some reason, Fei Ge makes me laugh.

Glad to know “The Amazing Race” is back. I’ve watched the first 3 seasons and hope the 4th will be as good. The first season is always the best, especially the team of the two guys who won the one million prize at last. Wasn’t it pleasant to watch two handsome guys (polite, charming, with good sportsmanship too) throughout the whole season? Well, a Japanese girl who happened to visit me from abroad when the first season was on commented:" hm, this is good for our eyes!!" :laughing:

Well, of course this is not the main reason why I like this program. :blush: In addition to scenery of various countries, I like to watch how two team members interact and work together (or how they break down or can’t cooperate) under harsh pressure and totally uncontrollable environments, and what wit/creative thinking or problem-shooting ability (or lack of which)they come up with to finish a leg. Some are really lucky, but there ARE reasons for those teams who can be left till the last few legs of the race. This is not at all a serious program though, I think it’s much more entertaining and fun than “Survivors”!!

11:30pm is too late for me though. I hope there are replays on Sunday morning/evenings as there were for the first three seasons.

[quote]Wasn’t it pleasant to watch two handsome guys (polite, charming, with good sportsmanship too) throughout the whole season? . . . hm, this is good for our eyes!!" :laughing: [/quote]To be fair to the male eyes, one of the teams in the new season is made up of two beautiful models who intend to rely on their beauty to beat others (hitching rides, asking for directions and other favors), but it’s already backfired. A competing team intentionally helped the NFL wives instead of the babes, saying how much he disliked “the chicks with the fake tits.”

[quote]This is not at all a serious program though, I think it’s much more entertaining and fun than “Survivors”!![/quote]I beg to differ. “Survivor” is still the best reality show in my book. You get to see more of the human side of the contestants, as well as more alliances, back stabbing, hidden agendas, and the dilemma of who to vote off the show. Hope they’ll bring it back to Taiwan.

[quote]11:30pm is too late for me though. I hope there are replays on Sunday morning/evenings as there were for the first three seasons[/quote] It’s also on at 5:00 on Sunday afternoon.

I saw the replay at 5pm on Sunday. The first episode is in kind of chaos and I still can’t remember all the faces yet. But I did notice the two models. Well, I guess personality is much more important than appearance. But when one of the models was complaining that smoking makes herself hard to breathe in the snowy mountains and then swearing she would never smoke again, she was cute at that time.

I don’t know if any of you watch cable in Taiwan, but I turned on the Hollywood channel a couple of times this week, and was pleasantly surprised to see The Opposite of Sex and then today…Waiting for Guffman. Now if only they would show some Hal Hartley films.

Wimbledon on Star Sports this weekend. First the women’s final. It’s the Williams sisters once again (surprise, surprise). I’d say Serena will win it this year. Then the men’s on Sunday. My money’s on Andy Roddick.

Friends

Fei Ge makes me laugh too.

Qing Long Hao Han - Can’t spell the name in Taiwanese

Jia You Riben qi

WWF

WTF are those Chinese shows?
I DONT WANT TO HEAR ABOUT CHINESE SHOWS
…oh…this could be another joke I dont get!

TV is an instrument of the Devil :slight_smile:

dammit why can’t i get starworld??? Can anyone help, cuz my cable company is useless. I live in downtown taipei near Zhong Xiao E. Rd.

In the last year we’ve lost StarWorld at 2 seperate appartments! How crazy is that? VANISHED. DISSAPEARED. OUTTASITE. Girlfriend is having a fit!!!