ANZAC Day

Today would be a day off in New Zealand and Australia (?) due to remembrance of the troops that fought in the world wars. Personally I usually just take it as a day off rather than an important event. Although I would like to go to a dawn parade but I’m just too lazy to get up that early.

Any aussie or kiwi here been to a dawn parade? What does ANZAC day mean to you?

NZ ANZAC DAY Memorial page

Aussie ANZAC DAY Memorial page

May they not be forgotten.

No - but I do try and spare a thought for the servicemen on ANZAC day. We always did the ceremony at school with the wreath laying, Last Post, minute’s silence, Reveille etc. which made it somehow just a little more real to me, although I don’t do much to commemorate the day besides buying a Legacy badge (not this year, obviously!).

“At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them.”

Daasgirl, Matchstick Man, either of you attend the ANZAC service this morning here in Taipei, they hold one every year.

[quote=“Matchstick_man”]Today would be a day off in New Zealand and Australia (?) due to remembrance of the troops that fought in the world wars. Personally I usually just take it as a day off rather than an important event. Although I would like to go to a dawn parade but I’m just too lazy to get up that early.

Any Aussie or kiwi here been to a dawn parade? What does ANZAC day mean to you?[/quote]

ah! digger day = cheaper petrol!

I went to each of the services for the 3 years i was in taiwan. they are (were) well organised. a nice service followed by breakfast.

As for dawn services in Aust… and acompanying marces - this year saw record attendances across the entire of Aust.

God bless em all.

I marched at a dawn service in Christchurch. My winter uniform was darn itchy.

Today was the first dawn service I’ve missed since 1999. I even went to the one here last year. I went to my first dawn service in 1997, originally just to get some photos for when I was doing my exchange in HK, but the experience was amazing. Before then, ANZAC Day meant bugger all to me aside from reruns of Gallipoli and an assembly at school with that long-ass list of names read out. But to actually go and see and hear these old guys, guys who had lost friends and brothers, and hear them pay tribute to their lost loved ones even though it was freezing bloody cold and/or raining most of the time was… well, utterly mindblowing. Even more so when I went to the one hear last year, met a couple of guys who had been WW2 POWs in Taiwan, and had it really hit home that during WW2, this place we’re living in so comfortably now was enemy territory…

[quote=“Traveller”]Daasgirl, Matchstick Man, either of you attend the ANZAC service this morning here in Taipei, they hold one every year.[/quote] No, I didn’t realise there was one in Taipei. Where in Taipei is it? Not that helps someone like me who doesn’t know Taipei very well despite living in Taiwan for well over four years.

It was at the Taipei American School up on Zhongshan N Rd, Section 6 (I think), at 6am.

Contact the ACIO or ANZBA - they will have full details and put you onthe mailing list for next year.

No (but then I didn’t go to them in Oz either), but it’s nice to learn they have them, even here. Now, how about that Legacy badge? :slight_smile:

Or the NZCIO.

An ANZAC Day dawn service will be held this year at the Yangmingshan Residence of the ACIO Representative at 6.30am Tuesday 25th April 2006.

陽明山仰德大道一段91巷27號
No 27, Lane 91, Sec 1, Yangde Blvd, Yangmingshan Taipei

Tuesday, 25 April - ANZAC Day

Remember the fallen.

anzac.govt.nz/

[quote=“Bassman”]Tuesday, 25 April - ANZAC Day

Remember the fallen.

anzac.govt.nz/
[/quote]

Agree with the sentiment but I prefer my commemorations minus the associated .gov.XX hyperbole.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ANZAC_Day

Any services in Taiwan? Does anybody know?

See this thread if you are in Taipei and like an early start…

forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.ph … highlight=

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ANZAC_Day

LEST WE FORGET

Happy ANZAC Day to all those I know who hail from down under. :smiley: