AP: 7/10 Americans see Taiwan as most favorable nation

newsvine.com/_news/2006/02/2 … enemy-no-1

[quote]Almost nine in 10 viewed Canada as “very favorable” or “mostly favorable,” with Great Britain getting about the same rating.

Almost eight in 10 felt that way about Japan and Germany, almost seven in 10 felt that way about Israel, Taiwan, the Philippines, India and Mexico[/quote]

Sweet. Taiwan’s on par with India, Mexico, and the Philippines.

I sure hope Chen Shui-bian and Annette Lu celebrate their success.

I don’t know how accurate the results are knowing that 8/10 Americans can’t even find Taiwan on the map.

Geography has nothing to do with the percieved notions about foreign nations of Americans.

Besides, wasn’t there a great video on YouTube last month where Americans couldn’t even tell that Iran was not an island? (they swapped Australia with Iran).

What next AC_Dropout? You’re going to bring out mathematical ability? Factor in running speed? Physical weight? Average IQ?

[quote=“cctang”]Sweet. Taiwan’s on par with India, Mexico, and the Philippines.

I sure hope Chen Shui-bian and Annette Lu celebrate their success.[/quote]

I’ve been to all of these places and they are great nations.

Was that meant to be sarcastic?

[quote=“Lo Bo To”]
I’ve been to all of these places and they are great nations.

Was that meant to be sarcastic?[/quote]
I’ve been to two of’em as well. They are great nations. And heck, if we were talking about either cricket or soccer, Taiwan would be honored to be ranked along side them.

But you’ll notice no one in Taiwan is interested in migrating to any of’em. Feel free to criticize my shallow mindset, but I for one believe most Taiwanese will not be impressed by being ranked in this group, in this context.

So this is about a popularity contest and not based on any realistic benchmarks.

So this is about a popularity contest and not based on any realistic benchmarks.[/quote]
YES IT IS A POPULARITY CONTEST! READ: OPINION POLLS!

THANKS FOR READING THE ARTICLE, FINALLY! It was about time anyway…

As for being based on any realistic benchmarks, I’m sure you know that there’s a whole science about estimation and polls. So it is based on realistic benchmarks. Even popular opinion is something to be heeded. So yeah, TI, Unification, and reverting back to one party KMT rule isn’t really popular AC.

[quote=“ShrimpCrackers”]http://www.newsvine.com/_news/2006/02/24/108637-poll-Americans-see-Iran-as-enemy-no-1

[quote]Almost nine in 10 viewed Canada as “very favorable” or “mostly favorable,” with Great Britain getting about the same rating.

Almost eight in 10 felt that way about Japan and Germany, almost seven in 10 felt that way about Israel, Taiwan, the Philippines, India and Mexico[/quote][/quote]

But isn’t this thread merely about “popularity”? Or I guess “favorability”?

It sems like a silly statistic and meaningless.

[quote=“Lo Bo To”][quote=“ShrimpCrackers”]http://www.newsvine.com/_news/2006/02/24/108637-poll-Americans-see-Iran-as-enemy-no-1

Almost eight in 10 felt that way about Japan and Germany, almost seven in 10 felt that way about Israel, Taiwan, the Philippines, India and Mexico[/quote][/quote]

But isn’t this thread merely about “popularity”? Or I guess “favorability”?

It sems like a silly statistic and meaningless.[/quote]

Wait till you see Americans vote…

As opposed to Taiwanese voters?

I think I’ll just mash the keyboard

dd, .d, xo23io&5rt8gdr8hyguw9478 gfrnhnjhixcvo8y3qwr$$TE

It’s like a cliche teen flick. The popular individuals are the ones with “ugly souls,” it is the less appreciated individuals that have “noble souls.”

[quote=“cctang”]Sweet. Taiwan’s on par with India, Mexico, and the Philippines.

I sure hope Chen Shui-bian and Annette Lu celebrate their success.[/quote]

I know you are being sarcastic, but thats a good place to be.

Chou

Taiwan is ranked with India, Mexico, and the Philippines. I remember a time when Taiwan was associated as a Tiger nation with the likes of ROC, Singapore, and even Hong Kong. How did Taiwan slip in her perception among Americans?

[quote=“ShrimpCrackers”]http://www.newsvine.com/_news/2006/02/24/108637-poll-Americans-see-Iran-as-enemy-no-1

I wonder how many of these people were thinking of a palm-lined Thai beach when asked this question…