Apartment Cost

Hi,

I will be in Taipei in two weeks. I like to get an idea on how much a nice one bedroom apartment (800 Sq FT) cost in the central business district in Taipei.

Also, what should I be looking for when dealing with a rental agent?

Thanks

A nice apartment in that size within the central business district will IMHO cost you around USD1500 and up (per month).

However you can have an apartment in that size for less but it may not be “nice” - at least I couldn’t find something suitable but perhaps my expectations / requirements were too high.
Expect old, sometimes dirty places and few or no facilities if you are on a budget as most buildings here are about 10-20 years old.

I choose a rather small but fairly new place “Japanese style” and it still costs me (well, my company actually) a bomb.

Also, what should I be looking for when dealing with a rental agent?

It’s probably good to have someone with you who can speak Chinese (if you don’t) when it comes to signing the contract. Most rental prices are negotiable (even when dealing through an agent), as well it may make a difference if you pay for it yourself or via a company (due to some tax issue, 10% on a company contract if I remember correctly).
2 month deposit and 1 month rental usually needs to be paid upfront and of course the agent fee (50% of monthly rental fee?).

Thanks to the reply.

I saw some ads from Master Realty. Is this a reputable firm to deal with?

Thanks

Actually that’s the same company I dealt with, mainly targeted at Japanese but also other foreigners.
It’s a big(ger) company and they do have a sheet with detailed information of the apartments including pictures, so you can already make some pre-selection at their office.
They also do have English speaking staff but as mentioned before the contracts will usually be in Chinese (and require a Chinese stamp).

On the web: mtr.com.tw/ You can find some links to apartments there, too!

I’m coming in December and wondering what I can get in downtown Taipei for NT$7,000-12,000 per month. Size/space is much less important than convenience and cleanliness. Ideally I’d like to be in a busy neighborhood close to public transportation.

Is my price range appropriate for these requirements?

:?:

In the NT$7000 range, you’d be sharing an apartment – that is, you’d have a room out of usually 3 but perhaps 4 bedrooms, and probably a shared bathroom (in Taipei, that is; outside Taipei you can get a whole apartment for that in some places!) If you ease up toward the NT$12,000 range, you can get a “taofang” – that means your own room with your own attached bathroom.

FYI I’m paying like $13,000 a month for a taofang that’s just about on top of the Kuting MRT station (well, not quite, but it’s really close, and lots of busses too). I’m a couple of minutes from the Shida area by bike, and that’s important to me because I like to eat over there. However, my building is quite new, has an elevator, and offers 24 hour “management” (that is, the guy at the desk “manages” to go to sleep) and garbage service just a few steps from my door (no need to chase the singing trucks). Expect to POSSIBLY (depending on situation) pay extra for amenities like cable TV, Internet access, garbage collection, or the dreaded “guanli fei” (the management fee that pays the salary of the old guy or guys who sit at a desk at the door and greet thieves who come in :laughing: ).

In short, you should do just fine in that price range you mentioned. You can certainly find a clean and convenient place, although it won’t be huge and you will probably have to share. Heck, if you’ve got a cat, I’ll rent you a nice room myself. :laughing:

Usually (AFAIK) the evolution of housing for foreigners here goes something like this:

hostel > “yafang” (rented room, no bathroom) > “taofang” (rented room in apartment with own bathroom) > own apartment (perhaps renting rooms and/or taofangs to others).

Expect to pay a premium to be near the MRT; I think prices are slowly going that way. Much cheaper apartments are available but consider proximity to buslines (and WHAT busses they are – some come only a few times per day!) and the MRT. Personally, although I was here so many years without the MRT, now I can’t imagine how we ever managed without it, and I wouldn’t consider a place that wasn’t close to it (and on a line that benefits me in terms of where I go frequently; i.e., Brown Line has too many darned transfers!! :shock: )

Just my NT$0.66, your mileage may vary.

If you can read Chinese or get somebody who does, check out this site:

erent.com.tw

Very comprehensive rental site, it’s FREE, and I found my current place using this service. But you do need somebody who can read Chinese to use it…
HTH

Just remember that you shouldn’t have to settle for less than what you want. All you need is persistance. Something better will always come along eventually, and if you have patience, you can get a very nice place for a reasonable amount. Don’t be tempted to take a place you’re not entirely happy with because you’re afraid of losing out. You won’t. In this market, new and better places are always coming along.

Hey,

My name is Regan. I’m a young filmmaker living here in New York City. I just returned from a two week trip to Taipei. My plan is to go back around February or so to work on a screenplay. I hope to live there a full 6 months or longer.

I plan to teach English part time to earn money.

The most important thing aside from lining up some sort of job, is finding a place to stay. Ideally a small centrally located Taipei studio with internet access would be awesome. But cost is a factor too, so I’m open. Basically I’m just looking for a place to hang my hat. I’m open to shares. Renting out a room in a locals house in exchange for free English lessons…whatever.

I really love Taipei, the screenplay I’m writing takes place there and after 9/11 i really want to leave nyc for awhile.

Anyway, I’m an easy going young american guy with a sense of humor. My chinese is improving thanks to classes at the china institute here in ny.

Please, if you have any info, advice, or would just like to say hi, my email address is regandarcy@mac.com

Can’t wait to return to Taipei!

Shei shei!
-Regan

If you are real picky and you want real swank in a nice building in a nice area, here is an idea of what you can expect in New Taiwan dollar pricing. Be prepared to add money for parking and a little for condo fees. Also below pricing can include furniture.

Here is some rough pricing ideas.

One bedroom or Suite: $25K to $35K
Two Bedroom: $45K - $55K
Three Bedroom: $70K to $90K
Four Bedroom: $70K to $100K

Of course there is cheaper, but you might need to make some tradeoffs. I mean really you can find places for more than half the price above, but well, it won’t make your socks go up and down, nor anyone you bring home. :slight_smile: Unless you work hard on the place.

This place is expensive kind of like Tokyo and Hong Kong. My favorite place for cheap expat housing is Bangkok. Really swanky places for reasonable prices, although expensive relative to local pricing in Thailand.

OK, I just put on my fire retarding suit, flame away.

Thanks for the advice everybody, it helped in my considerations.

Our 22-ping Chingmei apartment overlooks a park. It has 2 bedrooms, a living room, a dining room, and a kitchen. we pay 17,000 a month. Building is no more than 5 years old. Secure and parking at NT$3000 a month.