Apartment "decorations"

Hello everyone!

We are in the process of moving to Taipei and are searching for an apartment. We have an agent provided by the company, but I want to ask other expats about your experience with this topic.

One place is new and the landlord has to finish the AC and “decorations.”

What is usually meant by this?


This is my first post here and I can’t believe this username was still available.

That’s sometimes Chinglish for general renovation and painting the walls.

Do they ever consider the built-in closets that some units have also as “decorations”?

I suppose they might. :idunno:

Is the description in Chinese “裝飾” (Zhuāngshì) and it’s translating it into decorations?

It likely means covering up all the duct work…it usually takes a couple of days.

When it’s a newly built apartment chances are that they are doing the whole installation of closets, lighting, fake ceiling, flooring etc. incl. air con, fridge, TV sometimes. Probably that’s what they call ‘decoration’ in this case.

Hi everyone and thank you for the helpful replies.

Ranlee, the word “decorations” is how the agent described it in English, and I do not have a reference to the Chinese word/characters.

I assumed it was as you, yyy, and squall1 described. The agent explained, but it is always helpful to hear from others and learn what is standard for rental properties in Taiwan. In the country we are being transferred from the tenant is responsible for every last detail including light bulbs, so I am glad to hear that some of the fixtures are provided here!

Is there just by chance, a way to retrain the Chinese and take back the true meaning of the word Decorations.

For me, language is tied to feelings or connotations. It’s just something I have a problem with: Sorry, to me decorations mean something special for a party or a major move in furniture. The other stuff comes under the word Renovation.

I’m decorating my house tonight (for a party or special event).
I"m redecorating my house… OK, some big changes but nothing earth shattering.
I’m renovating my first floor. Don’t think on coming over for a couple days. OK.
But my friends and acquaintances use “decorating” spoken in a light airy manner for all these events. I usually fill in the clues by the choice of word and tone. I’ve tried to teach the difference. They score high but in practical use, it’s back to decorate. If it comes to a difference between Chinese and English meaning, I’ll give in and use the Chinese word instead of English.

Has anyone taught a lesson on this subject? I need a piece of Toast. Last time the cafe lady just gave me bread! Man…

Interesting observation, thank you for sharing.
Funny how words take on different meanings in different cultures.

Please countershare? What words have you noticed as we well? Wait that’s another topic.

To keep it relevant, an “unfurnished” apartment in the US still comes with light fixtures and a kitchen complete with appliances, while in Germany unfurnished usually means there is not even a light bulb hanging from the ceiling, and the tenant has to supply the kitchen: counters, cabinets, sink, and appliances. You have to take it with you when you leave, too.

There are more, but as you said it is another topic, which maybe I will get back to after I get settled here.

1 Like