Apocalypto

Not sure what that was all about. I generally like films about South Americans chopping eachother up (Cannibal Holocaust, anyone?), so I thought I’d give this one a whirl. Although Mell Gibson is usually a complete tool, I thought this was pretty smashing.

Handsome young man (that piercing and tatoos look is usually pretty tacky, but he managed to carry it off) running through forests hunting and gathering and doing manly things. Learned that you make poison darts out of the YELLOW frogs.

Why did the Mayans paint people blue before sacrificing them? Would like to know if this film is historically accurate, at all, if any of you guys know.

Wouldn’t you be blue if you were about to be sacrificed?

No, they painted them smurf blue before they ripped out their hearts, and chopped off their heads. Head to toe. No idea why.

They only sacrificed the young men.

Cool movie. Inaccurate but cool none the less.

Really? How so?

Really? How so?[/quote]

Go read the reviews and watch a bit more discovery. Mayans and Aztecs were confused with eachother during that film. The little girl with the ‘desease’ was suppose to be inflicted with small pox which came with the arrival or the porkers and spaniards. Blah blah.

There’s a ton of shit wrong with the movie but it made my spine tingle to see some of the shit live on screen. I love the history of the Southern Americas. Those people were blood thirsty fuckers with no regard for human life. Living back then must have been a trip. Of course I’m speakin merely from my own perspective in 2007.

Overall I liked the film. It illustrated the feeling to go along with the history of some of it.

I enjoyed the fact that the entire movie script was in Yucatec Maya. And the English subtitles were left intact for a change!

It’s a great visual trip, but amazingly violent. Of course the entire theme of the movie is given in the opening quotation.

Lot’s of killing, running through the jungle, more killing, some dialogue, more killing, great visuals, did I mention there was killing?

If anyone can figure out what this movie is actually about, let me know.

Chopping people up and bare arses running through the forest. Sweet.

isn’t that a regular Friday afternoon for you anyway though love?

isn’t that a regular Friday afternoon for you anyway though love?[/quote]

If only. One so rarely has the opportunity.

<3 Buttercup!

I got dragged to this. I liked it. Glad I had a handsome hand to hold.

Bonus: Me looking like an apocalypto extra

http://flickr.com/photos/aep/369059107

Eek. You look like a pissed off smurf.

No handholding for me, although the boy I was with was totally hand-hold-worthy. The best ones are always taken.

And he didn’t even laugh when I jumped 10 feet in the air and watched half of it through my fingers. I managed not to squeel like a girly, though.

[quote=“Buttercup”]Eek. You look like a pissed off smurf.

No handholding for me, although the boy I was with was totally hand-hold-worthy. The best ones are always taken.

And he didn’t even laugh when I jumped 10 feet in the air and watched half of it through my fingers. I managed not to squeel like a girly, though.[/quote]

I may have squealed. My trick ? Bringing in beer. Totally took the edge off that hairy movie.

I enjoyed Cannibal Holocaust. Would I enjoy this one, then? I liked how CH questioned people’s perception of what civilized or uncivilized behaviour is. It had a bit of mind to it, even though the points were rather obviously made.

Nothing like that, really.

Reminded me of being on the 40 yard line with The Raider Nation Black Hole fans.

“Whooo! Go Raiders!! Half-time human sacrafices of Bronco fans! Whhooo!”

“Hulks smash tiny Chargers fans! Whoo! More overpriced watered down beer-drink fast third quarter appraoches!”

Two teeth and a combined IQ of 50. Willy Nelson fans look like Harvard Phd.s in comparison.

“Chaka take Holly and Will to hide in cave!”

“Do you ever get allergic reactions from your black and silver face paint?”
“Oh, I so hate that, these spiky shoulder pads are starting to chafe my skin”
“Let’s start a wave and see how many of us are wearing loinclothes.”
“Oh–that would be-like-so FUN.”

I had the same feeling at the end. What was THAT all about? Though the plot became clear in the first 30 minutes, it resulted in boredom only awakened by another head falling of, another corps being pierced, blood spitting out of a skull…
I was even not aware what the movie was about as my GF booked some “tickets for a movie” , so we took in my GF 15 YO daughter. She liked it. Should she start visiting a shrink now? :astonished:

Though Gibson might not be a super-class actor, he is performing much worse than Clint Eastwood being a director.

Shame not to use the correct history behind.
Example:
Assuming the 3 boats were suggesting Columbus discovery of America, they first made contacts with the Aztecs. If the butchers in the movie are Mayans, than it is inaccurate already.

da

It would have been fun entertainment if it had been placed in a fictional context instead of a so-called Mayan setting. Regarding the sacrifice, as gruesome as it sounds, the warriors themselves were believed to have a different concept of it. One of the most famous warriors (though I may be thinking Aztec by now) was said to have voluntarily and forcibly made his way to be sacrificed.

From Wiki:

[quote]Claimed through many paintings, sculptures, and through their writing, it has been learned that a woman in the Mayan culture would have to cut a hole in her own tongue after her first was born and take a barbed rope and pull it through it. The blood would collect in a bowl under her and then it would be burnt along with spices to the gods. Men would also have to do this through the penis and similarly drag the barbed rope through it. The Maya also had human death sacrifices, though not as many as the Aztecs did, but there was still proof of some sacrificing of captured prisoners. The Mayans Also sacrificed children, orphans, and animals.

In Classical Mayan culture, “chakba” was self-decapitation.[/quote]

Ouch!!