Appalling (or not) Scenes in the Legislative Yuan

No one writes epic posts like that on their phones. This man obviously sits at a computer and composes (yes with some typos) things properly!

If there are errors however I have seen people pointing them out in the comments below, and Mr Garlic thanking them and amending the post.

Guy

1 Like

Appalling scenes, haha. It’s part of Taiwan history and ingrained in the culture. I know in other parts of the world, members break out into private after-meetings to have a b!tch fest about the actual meeting. These after-meetings are filled with profanities. That’s how they deal with frustration in lieu of throwing objects.

It would be interesting to predict when the culture will change, if ever.

Taiwanese parliamentary fights are legendary around the world.

When is CNN going to syndicate this?

I don’t think it’s appalling at all. Nobody cares. Donald Trump or Boris Johnson as President/PM is far more appalling.

I equivocated the title. Omni won’t mind. Plus he owes me five quid.

It seems that every other day now we are treated to fighting on the Legislative Yuan. Are all the participants elected politicians, or do they allow the public rent a demo mobs in there. That one yesterday with the dyed red hair was a disgrace.

It looks like the red-haired woman—does anyone know her?—is at a rock concert trying to reach Bono on stage at a Live Aid concert in Wembley Stadium. Or maybe not.

Source: Su policy address cut short by KMT legislators’ protest - Taipei Times

Guy

2 Likes

Yes that’s the one.

1 Like

This is how you do it properly:

Guy

Accidental Renaissance painting?

9 Likes

Not what I would call brawling or even fighting. Jostling would be more accurate.

Do they ever get in trouble for this sort of behavior? Maybe i should run for legislator as ground that I’ll knock motherfuckers out

As it seems that they are all elected representatives, you really wonder how they manage to run the country. From what I can see the latest shambles seems to be about the 3+11 Quarantine mess for Air Crews.

Maybe just call it supporting.evidence for the conpiracy theories that elected offiicals arent actually running hit haha.

At least a couple people got to grab quick chest, ass and deep inner feel out of the fiasco. All in all, a good day…no one tried to impail people with nails this time.

I think there was some discussion about that in one of the earlier threads. Too lazy to look for the details now, but here’s the main thread.

Taipei Times article:

KMT lawmakers yesterday morning occupied the tables reserved for members of the Executive Yuan, banged on tables and smashed the table on the speaker’s podium.

They shouted slogans and held up placards that read: “Democratic Progressive Party [DPP] is a dictatorial party” and “Democracy is dead,”

The irony of such a statement coming from the KMT of all people is too much to handle.

1 Like

Somehow the irony is always lost on these guys.

They emerged as a party-state, and somehow if they are not in charge of the state (i.e. if they lost an election), this result can—according to them—only be due to some injustice.

Guy

Oh, I can’t think of any other democracies that had a party struggle with that reality this year…

Some analysis from the always interesting Nathan Batto at Frozen Garlic. After wading through the muddled details about the recent brawls, he delivers his punchline:

The KMT’s behavior last week was self-indulgent, undisciplined, flailing, and self-defeating. A smart party carefully chooses its battles. This was a stupid choice, and they fought it badly.

Guy

On the lighter side of things…
hey, India… stop copying Taiwan’s democracy model: