Apple censors iPad engravings in Taiwan

Apple is limiting what sayings or numbers that can be engraved on their ipads and other Apple junk at China, Hong Kong, Macau and Taiwan. Taiwan? Yes, Taiwan.

“In Taiwan, Apple customers are not allowed to reference high-ranking members of the Chinese Communist Party like 孫春蘭 (Sun Chunlan) or the banned religious movement 法輪功 (Falun Gong).”

This is probably illegal. I think you Apple fans should unite, insist on having one of those “bad words” and if denied wouldn’t it be worth a group lawsuit or some demonstrations with drum beating outside of Apple offices.*
I am against obscene words or messages that promote hurtful things but there’s nothing hurtful about this stuff in a free country.

You can count me out because I really cannot figure out what’s so great about the iOS or Apple. It’s not letting me do what I want to do.
*Respecting local laws regarding demonstrations and having the proper permits of course.

https://www-theverge-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.theverge.com/platform/amp/2021/8/19/22632029/apple-engraving-filter-censorship-keyword-china-hong-kong-taiwan?amp_js_v=a6&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQKKAFQArABIIACAw%3D%3D#aoh=16294569241639&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From%20%1%24s&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.theverge.com%2F2021%2F8%2F19%2F22632029%2Fapple-engraving-filter-censorship-keyword-china-hong-kong-taiwan

1 Like

I guess Apple electric car odometer shall skip the 8964 number to avoid trouble?

3 Likes

:rofl::laughing::sweat_smile::rofl:

Am I allowed to ask again why people still support this kind of bullshit?

@Incarcerated any thoughts?

1 Like

Taiwan should grow a pair and do what China do–ban companies which cuck out to China.

Stop Apple products from being sold here. Hit them where it hurts.

1 Like

In the 3C arena, sadly, even Taiwan branded products are made in China.
At least that my price point.

I’m happy that our major goods like our washing machine and refrigerator are made in Taiwan.

1 Like

This is a good point. Maybe China refuses to allow this kind of inscription or Apple proactively banned certain inscriptions to avoid trouble.

Is it? I’m not very familiar with Taiwan’s laws, but in other countries companies have some rights to do this sort of thing. Like idk if a bakery can refuse to write the number 69 on a cake because it offends them or if they can be sued for it.

Regardless of legality or if Apple did this themselves or if Chinese factories refuse, it still infringes on Taiwan’s free population’s rights which is really lame.

Oh well. I doubt enough people care. They’ll still buy their sexy cellular status symbols. And I doubt we’ll hear from Apple on this. They’re a bit tied up at the moment with other stuff that’s made more people angry.

Thats a misconception. I think people nust assume this now because they never spent time looking. Though if we keep selling out to companies that want a 2% better margin, that will be our end game. We have seen this progression of supporting horrendous human an environmental treatment for cheaper shit worldwide and in most countries and its disgracefully disheartening!!! Makes me wantto slap a ***** when they tout their moral high ground line and then talk abouttheir new whatever phobe beig so good and they gotbit because the ither one was slower, Smaller, not this or that. Fucking hell, those idiots should get a free phone but spend 1 year working in the factory and living in the towns so,polluted by these gadgets.

That said, my new laptop which is pretty fast, 17" and bought this year was 34000. Made in taiwan. It took me a while to contact all the different manufacturers and question them on their origins of manufacture. But once we got the brands and models that were better (surepy most lied a bit) we hit the 3c stores, they ordered it and it was here in 2 days. Of course you can buy a CCP laptop for 17,000 any day of the week with probably similar specs, and even more spying capacity. That said, i cannot justify that kind of selfishness and so i saved up for almost a year to pay the 34k for a laptop made here. although certainly some components must have touched a poor chinese slave as well as a corrupt immoral government oppression, it is far less so and we are supporting an idea: not made in china. When those ideas are supported and grow and make billions, they only get reinforced and the outcome means less and less touch the hands of the enemy (china). It seems the only way to go about things given todays world.

When i am truly stuck and NEED something now but cant find non chinese, or cant afford it, i buy second hand as to prevent my hard earned money going into the hands of a country that literally threatens to murder my family and everyone i know. I cant see how it could be any easier of a decision.

I feel, just for good measure, i must throw in a personal opinion. Phuck apple. The world is right now :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Uh oh. You know where this thread is heading now, right? Why choose the bakery example…? And to double team the example with a 69… ya know that tends to mean something slightly different to many taiwanese than those in the west right? it cant help the bakery example. It’s still so fresh.

Uhhhh. I must have missed something or be unaware of something. If my comment is bad somehow I can just edit it away. Is that necessary?

1 Like

There maybe an easier explanation, the last iMac i bought form the Taiwan apple website was shipped from Shanghai. I just thought it was because it was upgraded but maybe the engraved stuff is shipped from there also.

I got a laser engraver and I can engrave whatever you want onto your ipad.

3 Likes

For free like apple do?

No, not at all. Just messing around. some might get it, otherwise no worries buddy :slight_smile:

Just wanted to add to my above post replying to being able to afford stuff not made in china. It used to be that computers were $2000 to $3000 USD in the west and wages were far far lower than now. currently laptops are 500 plus and we have higher wages. i think its a bit disgusting to call that efficiency and innovation when its very clear that made in (enter non chinese country here) moved their production to china to take advantage of their governments will to treat their citizens like shit in order tol ower price. This is something the consuner is equally as guilty for as the massive corporations, we jsut tend to conveniently ignore that fact when it comes to phones, tvs and.computers. how more obvious can it possibly get?

I have little doubt that in a couple hundred years the history books (assuming china doesnt rule the world, in which case history will have been erased and banned) we will be looking back at what we are doigdoig today and comparing it, quite legitimately, to things like the slave trade from africa to the usa for manufacturing or the residential schools in.china etc. It worries me that while we are fighting against these 2 examokes today, we arent seeing the irony of our purchases. Seems we learned nothing.

1 Like

Because apples very expensive products are still made in china.

and India.

Normally each country holds it own stock, just think Taiwan may be covered by Shanghai and that’s where the problem is.

Yeah I think it’s ridiculous. I’ve voiced my concern about the lack of privacy, especially in certain countries, but I’m not exactly super high up so my feedback won’t be taken with too much interest.

The idea behind it is good, but the methods being used are far too invasive.

Apple engraves for free? Great I will ask them to engrave my Samsung.:wink:

2 Likes

You can always ask

1 Like

Not to be that guy but who the fuck would engrave their iPad with any of those?

Not really worth the outrage is it boys?

1 Like