Apple iPhone 3G and 3Gs

So if I managed to bring a 3g iPhone from HK or the US, could I use it here?

I was in a phone shop on Bade the other day after calling in to see what their iphone banner advert was about outside. It was perfect timing as there was a guy inside quite upset after having had his friend in the states send him the latest and greatest only to find out that the store cannot unlock it for him. The store are expecting to receive a shipment in a few weeks time, but as yet do not know how to unlock them if they are from the states. They tell me that iphones from Japan or HK may be easier to unlock, but they aren’t sure.
So there you go. Absolute proof of nothing!

Nam of nationwide computers is selling them here for considerably less. I’m going to be picking one up quite soon, I think. :sunglasses:

What’s the ballpark for “considerably less”?

just at Dream Mall in Kaohsiung today, they had the 3g 8gb version for NT$33,000. Quite ridiculous, better just wait till they officially come out in Sept (at least that’s what I’ve been hearing). I’ve seen them on Ruten for 18~27k for 8g version and 32k for the 16gb.

I love my iphone! Its a fantastic gadget, specially seeing how I have never had an mp3 player before…

Just wondering if an Aussie iPhone will work in Taiwan? I need to try and find out before I head back. I have a plan with vodafone here so will ask if they can transfer it to Taiwan when I go back…

The lonely planet Mandarin Chinese phrasebook (free download) is an excellent little application too.

Any news yet regarding the iPhone release here in September?

In NZ, off the shelf 3G iphones with no contract are around 25,000nt. Not sure if they are simlocked to a network.

Those 14,000nt 2G no contract, unlocked iPhones are starting to look quite attractive now eh?

Thanks, might check it out next time I am in town.

You can buy an unlocked 3G iPhone from Telstra in Australia for $725 which is starting to sound like a good deal compared to paying $309 up front and then $60 a month for two years…!

Well yes and no.

You still need a 3G plan if you want to use 3G and some of the iPhone packages are not too bad if you consider using it via the 3G network a lot.

Personally I feel that in Taipei, you’d be better off using the WiFly network which is faster and cheaper. I use Wifi whenever I can, and if I am out of range then I use the usual GPRS which is pretty good. No streaming video on GPRS, but I can live without that.

The 2 year commitment is a bit long. I generally don’t know what I am doing or where I will be, more than a year in advance.

According to winpwn.com the unlock is still unstable. So consider waiting a bit longer before buying an unlocked 3G.[/url]

Just heard from a friend at Chung-Hwa Telecom that they’ll be offering the phone w/plan in September.

No word yet on pricing.

I’ll post as soon as I hear anything and I’ll definitely be carrying them along with the Chung-Hwa plans.

Good time to buy stock in Chung-hwa?

Na, I wouldn’t say so just yet…

I don’t think that much of a fuss will be made by the locals. Or at least not as much as has been made around he world.

Although, I must say that I am pretty happy with my HTC TyTN II.

It’s been pretty solid as a PDA and the WiFi/ 3G capabilities have really saved me on more than a few occasions when the only way for me to access info was over the web.

It works great with BT headsets both mono and stereo and has pretty well all of the same functionality that the iPhone 3G does.
Best of all, there are no worries about unlocking and it’s got a qwerty keyboard just in case I don’t feel like using the touch-screen.

It’s even priced better, and I back-up my phone contacts to Outlook 2K7 and export them at will.
I have to say that I’m not really as impressed with Apple as I’d hoped to be after picking up a new MacBook Pro.
And having sold a few dozen Minis, MacBooks and MacBook Pros.

All kinds of VPN issues (not that Mac hasn’t always been a networking nightmare) that take more than day to day knowledge of computing/ /networking/ scripting to get around. That and a persistent issue with BootCamp concerning the system clock that just won’t go away(save having a constant internet connection running each time you log in to either OS).

That being said, Apple makes some REALLY sexy tech gear .

I got my wife a MacBook(Both hers and mine are also running 64bit Vista/XP on BootCamp just for internet banking purposes) and an iPod as well, but her reviews for the MacBook are far more positive than mine.

P.S.

I also find that iPods actually work properly with Macs… :bravo:

Edit:

The above commentary about being content with my HTC may admittedly be a subconscious need to affirm that I don’t shouldn’t spend another $20k+ on a super sexy toy I likely could live without anyway. :blush: :smiley:

Hmm, wonder if I would lose too much money selling my 32gb iPod Touch and 6gb HTC TyTN II to get a 16gb iPhone 3G to replace them both. Also, I’m on FarEasTone so I’d have to switch carriers; thankfully I hear you can keep your number these days.

Great if Chunghua has the iPhone. I am a Chunghwa customer now.

But it will still cost some sizeable money, or contract increase, even if already a Chunghua customer on contract. The question is how much and is it worth it.

I heard it might be priced around 7000 NT$ for the entry model.

$7000 is cheap for just a phone. They will have to find a way to tie into a new or existing contract to continue the revenue stream et al the way apple does their contract with everyone.

That must be 7000 plus a contract by which they continue to collect addtional .

Hey! Taiwan is NOT on the list for release this year, but nearly every other place is including Botswana, Liechtenstein…

QUOTE: “Mainland China and Russia are two big places missing from the list, along with Taiwan, Korea, mo"st of Southeast Asia…”

A world of iPhones

Posted by Kent German 13 commentsShare Email Print I have to admit that during the past year I’ve been gloating to my CNET Asia colleagues over the iPhone. I just had to savor the fact that at long last the United States got a hot tech gadget before they did. At least with high-end cell phones, that almost never happens.

But in just a few weeks my bragging days will be over. On July 11, the new iPhone 3G lands not only in the United States with AT&T, but also in 21 19 other countries. In his WWDC keynote address, Apple CEO Steve Jobs included France and Belgium in the initial release list, but Orange has confirmed that French customers will have to wait until July 17. And across the border, Belgium’s Mobistar has yet to set a date.

Then, later this year, Apple will ship to an additional 48 nations in every continent except Antarctica. That’s 70 countries, kids–a far cry from the six nations in which the current iPhone is available today.

Interestingly, countries such as Australia and Italy will have two supporting carriers. Mainland China and Russia are two big places missing from the list, along with Taiwan, Korea, most of Southeast Asia, and almost the entire Middle East. So for those who missed the rapid-fire map shown during the at the keynote, here’s a full list with supporting carriers.

July 11 releases

Australia - Optus and Vodafone
Austria - Orange and T-Mobile
Belgium - Mobistar
Canada - Rogers
Denmark - Telia
Finland - Sonera
Germany - T-Mobile
Hong Kong - Hutchinson Telecom
Ireland - O2
Italy - Telecom Italia and Vodafone
Japan - Softbank
Mexico - America Movil
Netherlands - T-Mobile
New Zealand - Vodafone
Norway - NetCom
Portugal - Orange and Vodafone
Spain - Telefonica
Sweden - Telia
United Kingdom - O2
Switzerland - Swisscom and Orange

Later releases

Argentina - America Movil
Botswana - Orange
Brazil - America Movil
Cameroon - Orange
Central African Republic - Orange
Chile - America Movil
Colombia - America Movil
Croatia - T-Mobile
Czech Republic - Vodafone and T-Mobile
Dominican Republic - Orange and America Movil
Ecuador - America Movil
Egypt - Orange and Vodafone
El Salvador - America Movil
Equatorial Guinea - Orange
Estonia - Eesti Mobii Telefon
France - Orange (July 17)
Guatemala - America Movil
Guinea - Orange
Guinea-Bissau - Orange
Greece - Vodafone
Honduras - America Movil
Hungary - T-Mobile
India - Bharti Airtel
Ivory Coast - Orange
Jamaica - America Movil
Jordan - Orange
Kenya - Orange
Latvia - LMT
Liechtenstein - Swisscom
Lithuania - OmniTel
Macau - Hutchinson Telecom
Madagascar - Orange
Mali - Orange
Malta - Vodafone
Mauritius - Orange
Nicaragua - America Movil
Niger - Orange
Paraguay - America Movil
Peru - America Movil
Philippines - GlobeTelecom
Poland - Orange and Era
Romania - Orange
Senegal - Orange
Singapore - SingTel
Qatar - Vodafone
Slovakia - Orange and T-Mobile
South Africa - Vodacom
Turkey - Vodafone
Uruguay - America Movil

Updated June 11, 1 p.m. PDT to reflect French and Belgian developments and additional carrier information.