Apple MP3 players - the iPods

reuters.com/article/technolo … HF20090312

New iPod shuffle - instead of a LED/LCD display to tell you what song is playing, they have a voice to tell you!

smaller size, bigger capacity. Too bad you can’t attach a AAA. I remember it used to be an accessory on the original stick-of-gum model.

I wouldn’t buy it.
Can’t use your own headphones with it - have to buy an adapter.
For the money of the adapter and Shuffle, you might as well just get the Nano so you can watch video.
What I want, is a new iPhone.

I want it. Nano is no good to me since they discontinued the lanyard headphons - I need an iPid I can wear. Anyone seen this new one at a store in Taipei yet? If so where?

The new iPåd Sh(it)uffle is a pile of utter shite…
No controls on the unit itself, there are no replacement headphones from Apple, you can’t use your own headphones, as the controls are built into the Apple headphones, you can’t use 3rd party remotes, as they don’t work, but you can spend $79 (the same price as the player) for Apple’s in-ear headphones that’ll work with it…
I mean seriously? :noway:
And on top of that, unless you got a new Mac with the latest operating system, you’ll get a really crappy computerized voice for the VoiceOver feature, it only sounds good on the new Mac’s…
Apple can stick the Sh(it)uffle as far as as they can ram it imho…

I just can’t see how anyone thought that that would be a positive addition. It would be a really annoying feature that you’d turn off.

You can’t even get that many songs on a Shuffle anyway, so what difference does it make whether you know what song it is, unless you are listening to someone else’s?

Buttercup, the new Shuffle is 4GB…

Exactly. Miniscule. I had 60Gbs of music, last look.

It only holds 4GB??? That’s crap.

[quote=“Indiana”][quote=“TheLostSwede”]
Buttercup, the new Shuffle is 4GB…
[/quote]

It only holds 4GB??? That’s crap.[/quote]

That’s the point of them: they are teeny. The nanos are bigger and the Classics, bigger.

4GB is plenty of space for me, and it is enough songs that the playlist [speaking] feature is very valuable. I hate having an iPod in my pocket, because the headphone cable is always getting in the way of something. I’ve always wanted an iPod I can wear (used to have one nana + lanyard headphones but they discontinued that combo) so it’s really my only option.

The voice things does make sense to me because it is a way to have a few playlists.

Let me know if you see one around town anywhere, everywhere still seems to have the old nano.

[quote=“TheLostSwede”]The new iPåd Sh(it)uffle is a pile of utter shite…
No controls on the unit itself, there are no replacement headphones from Apple, you can’t use your own headphones, as the controls are built into the Apple headphones, you can’t use 3rd party remotes, as they don’t work, but you can spend $79 (the same price as the player) for Apple’s in-ear headphones that’ll work with it…
I mean seriously? :noway:
And on top of that, unless you got a new Mac with the latest operating system, you’ll get a really crappy computerized voice for the VoiceOver feature, it only sounds good on the new Mac’s…
Apple can stick the Sh(it)uffle as far as as they can ram it imho…[/quote]
I have it and I love it.
[ul]Smallest ipod in the world, has a coolness factor
4GB more than enough for me
Computer voice is great, means I can put playlists on there like for my Chinese lessons. I really don’t care what it sounds like, it’s not reading me bedtime stories, it’s an audio menu
You are incorrect about the headphones, Apple (and stores that sell Apple in Taipei) sell replacement headphones for 1000NT ($30 USD)[/ul]
Having said all that Sony has new wearable headphones (in the Sony Store in the Sogo store @ Fuxing) which also look really nice, no dangling cables at all, just a wire back around the back of your head to keep them on. I have no use for the Sony ones because I just got the nano, but I want them nevertheless. :wink:

You might want to check when this thread was started and yes, you’re stuck with shitty Apple headphones that I’d never ever under any circumstances consider using so…