Apple or PC?

[quote=“fredericka bimmel”]One more question:
If I get the 15" powerbook with superdrive for 109k in Taiwan (about $300 USD MORE here after conversion than the online prices of $2799 or so),

I am getting a much more powerful and hardy notebook than if I get the 14" ibook for around 60k?

It’s two months extra rent, the way I see it, if I spend 40k more, to get the primo one. But I do like the aluminum case much more than the prissy plastic white one!!! [/quote]
Supposedly HK has the Macs for cheaper. But SARS isn’t going anywhere anytime soon, otherwise you could have asked a friend to pick one up on his way back from HK.

The part about the “2-month-rent”, yeah, man… I hear you. It broke my heart (and bank) having to part with so much money all on one computer. But to be completely honest, the only regret I have was not going the extra mile and get the superdrive… :wink:

On the other hand, unless you are a power user or is on your way to be one, you aren’t going to notice too much difference with a G4 chip. Then again, do plan your purchase on what you will be using the machine for. If 98% of the time it’s just for web/email and occassional MS Word, I think iBook should serve you well. But if you are like me, who almost always regrets when I do get to push the machine for that 2% of the time, you might want to reconsider the PowerBook.

For myself, I use my PB to administrate my remote Linux server, occassional graphic editing, word, some home movie editing, music, but mostly web-based activities. I’d be the first to admit an iBook would have been sufficient, but like you, I bought into the Ti casing while easily convicing myself G4 and extended video-out were exactly what I needed… :blush:

Some people complain about paint being chipped/fallen off from the Ti casing/rim. But 6+ months into using it with great care, I haven’t experienced anything of that sort. I have read articles about PowerBooks being run over by cars, baked in ovens (no joke) and fallen from desks and still operate fine (but you’d need to spend a bundle replacing the LCD screen). As for the iBook, its white plastic casing was made to endure 7th graders.

I don’t think I have answered your question per se. But maybe by offering my mental state at the time of purchase can help guide your conciousness towards buying the “right” machine for you. And by all means, do consider the Wintel machines too. With the attractive pricing available on the “Dark side”, it’s crazy not to take a look what’s available there. When I planned my purchase, I actually ruled Macs out due to pricing. But $3K+ later, I haven’t looked back since! :smiley:

I have vmware on my win2k, do you think I can play with OSX and install it in there? please advise scchu…

ax

You might want to check what kind of harddrive is in your Powerbook.

osnews.com/story.php?news_id=2954

Thanks muchly, Blueface. That’s something to consider.
Fujitsu drive bad, Toshiba good.
But I want the 15" anyway, and there doesn’t seem to be a problem with that one, he says.

Unfortunately, you can’t do OSX on vmware/virtual PC either. Not licensed by Apple. You can, however, install Darwin I believe. There are probably some Mac OS emulators out there, but mostly running OS 8/9, probably not X though.

“Apple System Profiler” is your friend.

The 15" PB’s LCD is one of the best ones. One of the reasons they can keep the cost down (or profit margin high) on the 12" PB is to save on its LCD screen as the article implied. The same thing goes to the 15" iMac.

My partner is considering making the Apple “switch” and is interested in the iBook. We just took a stroll along Ba De Rd. and were told that the Taiwan models weren’t available with the combo drive. Anyone know if this is true?

Just took a quick look at the Apple Taiwan site as well as distributor sites; I can’t seem to find anyone of them that carry the superdrive in the iBook. Perhaps they determined the “market” here wasn’t ready for one? Or maybe they intentionally did that to drive superdrive-hungry techies towards the TiBook?

The Apple dealer on Ba De is to be avoided. Try Mac Care 8931-2013.

Taiwan’s Apple dealers were notoriously famous for their lack of care and service in the 90s (yet another reason nobody cared for getting an Apple computer)… is it still the case these days? Since Jobs’ return to Apple, there’s been some restructuring. I hope that took care of some things.

Go to the Jinhua store. The ibook 900 mhz w/ combo drivearrives mid May.

Thanks for the replies. We’ll take another look today.

Am looking for a laptop. preferably an alternative platform to Winblowz. so im curious about the results of Soddom’s trip. How were the prices? which store? what config?

I went to the Eslite one. selling the PB15" special for 2229USD or roughly 83k NT. Comes with 256MB ram. Dunno if the MAC uses memory the same way, but is this enough for general, not-always graphics intensive operation. (the most graphic stuff is jpeg, digicam photos, photoshop, and maybe even some 3dmax studio)

been trying out Linux Suse. not ready/no time for the learning curve. although i been fiddling with it on my dual boot win2k/linux (except linux [kernel 2.4.19]has probs with USB HID keyboard)

We’re still debating, but for $44K, we could get the “promotion model” basic iBook (read old stock) including ComboDrive, Airport Card and a memory upgrade to 640Mb. Still, that’s shipping with a 600mhz processor, and Fredericka tells me the 900mhz will be in stock this Friday.

He (Randall) also quoted $55K for the same as above, but with the 14.1" screen, 800 mhz and 256MB.

He’ll also load it up with any software you care for. Ahem! :wink:

Go see Randall at the JinHua store. He gave us great service, plenty of time to play and no pressure. Not like those notebook selling drones on Ba De Rd who follow you round like a shadow but do nothing.

My home workstation is a dual P3 1Ghz system Gigabyte GA-6VTD motherboard, 1 Gb SDRAM, TNT2 video card, SBLive Value sound and Intel lan. I run XP Pro, QNX, Solaris 9, BeOS, Mandrake 9.1 and IBM WSEB. Last night I downloaded Opendarwin ( opendarwin.org/ ) and plan to start playing with it tonite.

Ooooh, big boy! The difference between men and boys …

If you can afford the new Apple PowerBook G4 17", then that is the way to go for many purposes. Not only it just sex to own with all the fat features, it does all the geek things that I’ve ever wanted (unitl next year when a new gadget comes out):

apple.com/powerbook/index17.html

• Mac OS X built on FreeBSD UNIX with shell access
  • Meaning that it runs stuff like MySQL, PHP, Apache, etc.
  • Huge screen great for coding long HTML/PHP/etc. strings
  • Built-in Wi-Fi 802.11b/g wireless LAN (I often surf at ABP/IS Coffee, etc.)
  • Built-in Bluetooth (I use my Ericsson T39mc to control iTunes, DVD player, PowerPoint presentations)
  • Fiber optic lighted keyboard with sensors that auto adjust screen luminance and keyboard luminance for the setting (great for dark places like planes)
  • Built-in CD-R, CD-RW and DVD-R, yes, you can record DVDs on the go.
  • Built-in S-Video TV out
  • Built-in second monitor or mirroring mode support
  • Supports DVI monitors with adaptor for standard monitors
  • I bought VirtualPC software which runs Windows XP in a separate window. I could also run other systems simultaneously and cut and paste between them (for example Red Hat Linux).
  • Gigabit Ethernet port … I guess I don’t need that.
  • 1394 FireWire 400 and 800 support.
  • 2 USB ports.
  • PCMCIA Type II

Ahhhhh…but it was CHEAP. :smiley:

If compatibility is an issue (that you care about), Mac OSX is probably one of the better alternatives you’d have. If you don’t care so much about working with Windows compatible files (Office, Photoshop, Illustrator, Flash… etc) and willing to try something relatively different, Linux is your best bet.

Casual/office user, I’d recommand OSX
Programmer/geek, I’d say Linux (almost any flavor, tho some prefer RedHat and Debian). And it runs on PC hardware… don’t have to be tied in to Apple’s rather expensive (but nicely made) laptops…

this one really caught my eyes for home use…
synnex.com.tw/action/ad-link_prod/imel.htm

jkpb.com.tw/ccc/image/new_page_4.htm

ax