Apple tyranny - Why do I have to use iTunes!?

My iPod, was one of the first that actually supported M$ Windows. It came with a special version of Musicmatch Jukebox or so, supplied by Apple. At that time, there was no iTunes for Windows. Anyhow, I bet you can download this plugin somewhere online as well.

But I do agree, I find it annoying, that you cannot upload (and download for that matter) songs just via USB to an iPod. You always have to have some sort of a managing software. This was chosen to put the customer on a leash. They just don’t want you to walk around with your iPod, and give your music to anyone that you might meet on the street. This “feature” is pretty much known since the first iPod was released.

I think what Apple did, is hide all your songs in a hidden folder, that is not easily accessable via the USB file transfer protocol. But there is software out there, that allows you to get your music on and off the iPod. And you are able to play it. But, you will again need another piece of software. One solution would be to have this software on the part of your iPod that allows file transfer via regular USB. Then you could start this from there to upload/download mp3 files, that you want to listen to. Try to find a software that does not require installation. This should be relatively easy. I have not tried this before, but I can imagine that it would work.

Oh, to find software, google for things like “iPod software music copy/transfer”.

Good luck

Thanks for the advice, ratlung.

But, I don’t know… I’m so pissed off (mostly at myself for not finding all this out before I bought it) that I might still get rid of it.

Jaboney, about that offer of yours… throw in a dissertation on Chaucer and you’ve got yourself a deal :wink:

Sounds familiar… :unamused:

I apologise for calling you sexy tash…

Sounds familiar… :unamused: [/quote]

Actually, it’s a little more concrete than that.
There’s no way on God’s green earth that the RIAA and the record companies would ever have played ball with the development and subsequent market domination of the iPod (and its eventual competitors) unless Apple had provided some sort of measure to ensure that Pod users weren’t running around, willy nilly, sharing free music files.
While I’m sure that Jobbo the Hutt couldn’t personally give a monkey’s about the recording industry, the non-uploadability aspect was a necessary concession for market freedom.

chief

i was alluding to the microshit way of business. but its a good point. without apple leading the way who else would have done it? sony? hahaha. anyway…

tash

as for your issue with the ipod. i will buy it from you and you can go back to the safe world of usb mp3 players. i could help you with your problem… i have a dissertation you could read.

Being born and raised by communists has it’s advantages. My dogma-radar is beeping :wink:

No idea what the fascination is with the Ipod thing. My little MP3 player and radio cost about NT1250 in Australia and is pretty much disposable at that price. I can record songs direct off the FM radio and it is simple to download off my computer with the USB with no software required.

But…both my children have Ipods. Both have broken and been repaired as well.

have had numerous apple desktops and lappies and 1 ipod (3 years use)

none have ever had issues.

its how you treat them. love them and they love you back.

:smiley:

All this iPod talk makes me so happy to have my no-name Taiwanese “U-Best Digital” MP3 player. Just plug in, load up and listen; no hoops to jump through or software to install.

i wouldnt agree more. i gave my ipod away a long time ago and now use a tiny creative muvo. it’s way better than ipod by the way… batteries not only last longer but can be replaced (ipod batteries suck). it works under windows and linux without any driver. it has recording functions (both voice and radio) and a fm tuner. it cost less than half the price of an ipod nanono :wink: ok, it doesnt have that big bright screen with flashy colors so i can spend more time listening to music :laughing:

Having to use iTunes has never bothered me. I prefer it way more than my last “system,” which was to use Winamp to play MP3s haphazardly sorted into random directories. I’ve never had to upload songs from a computer that was absolutely impossible to install iTunes on. And I’ve copied music from plenty of friend’s computers who also have iTunes.

On the other hand, I really dig the ratings and the smart lists in iTunes. I’ve got all sorts of playlists that go something like, “Play only songs that are rated 4 or more in the electronica genre that were last played more than a month ago.”

Yeah, my 3G iPod which is nearly 3 years old only has a battery life of about 3 hours now, which is way better than you could say about my last laptop.

i’m gonna get flamed for asking what must have already been answered,but the search function just isn’t working.

okay,i’ve never been keen on Ipod for several reasons but my GF got a 4GB nano as a present and i will help her have her favourite music on there.

1. what type of files extensions must i put in the nano for it to playback?
    (when connected to my laptop it appeared as mass storage,so i put a whole bunch of MP3’s in there but they don’t appear on the nano…

2. is Itune the only way to shove music/videos in there?

3. how comes files specific for Ipods aren’t shared more widely on things like limewire??

sorry for the n00b questions,i just hate anything that’s to do with ipod…except the GF!

Mp3s work fine, even though it’s not the default iTunes extension. You must use iTunes or an iTunes replacement to get the files on there. This is because there is a database on there that must be updated each time new music is added (pain in the arse if you ask me).

P.S. I’ve merged this with an older thread.
P.P.S. Some of the iTunes alternatives info in this thread is out of date now.
P.P.P.S. I use Amarok (I have also happily used “Banshee” in the past), not iTunes (but I’ve got Linux). Works fine with my iPod.

thanks Stu,

i went thru those 4 pages and i’m glad most peoples are peed-off with this mularkey,
for myself i’ll be sure to buy a regular MP3 jobbie

true. iTunes is the software for an iPod. if you don’t like it, get another machine. simple.

i still run iTunes 6, though, and i have never bought any music from the online store. I mean, why would you? modern music is crap. and Apple’s DRM shits me nearly as much as RealSystems.

I had an older version itunes for my ipod.

i could use the ipod as a hd, and manually load my music on.

now i’ve installed a newer version to add stuff for my mom’s ipod…

BAM, all my old ipod powers are gone. Can’t see it as a HD, can’t manually add.

APPLE, though I can appreciate your innovation, I still hate you.

Nobody shoot me, please, but every time I look at the thread title I read it, “Apple Tranny.” I’m not sure what a tranny is. I don’t have an iPod.

a tranny is either a transistor radio (unlikely from Apple) or a transvestite (very likely from the Big Apple).

which reminds me:

why do trannies order the largest beer possible?

because it makes their hands look smaller.

I liked that joke equally on the second read.

I had my iPod tuned to a PC desktop that up and died a week or two back. Fortunately I have a Macbook laptop which has as much, if not more, grunt than that dead piece of shit. It’s now become brother number one, and fortunately I found this software that allowed me to copy over all my music on my iPod to the Mac before resynching it. Saved me a shitload of lost songs.

[quote]Publisher’s description of iPodCopy (Mac)
iPodCopy for Mac lets you copy your music collection from your iPod or iPhone to your Mac or directly into iTunes. It also saves all your music meta data, play counts, ratings and Album artwork. Search your iPod directly for specific tracks. You can also play music through your Mac directly from your iPod. iPodCopy lets you copy photos back into iPhoto from your iPod and games from your iPod to your Mac. It includes a comprehensive help system and friendly e-mail support.

Version 5 adds support for iPhone and iPod Touch devices.[/quote]

There’s also iPod copy expert for Windows.

HG

Here’s another great source for refining your (Mac) iTunes: Doug’s Apple Scripts.

With this one “Import Audio Files” you can download tracks off of your iPod (just in case iPodCopy craps out on you). I used to have a number of iPodCopy-like apps, but ended up trashing them after I found that script… just found it easier to use.