Applied for Visitor Visa and received Resident Visa

I will be studying Chinese for a year at a language school starting this September and applied for a multiple entry Visitor’s Visa with the intention of later applying for a Resident Visa while in Taiwan. However, I received my passport and visa back from the cultural office the other day and they gave me the exact opposite of what I asked for: a single entry Resident Visa. The duration of stay is listed as *** and it just states I have to apply for an ARC within 15 days of my arrival. I have no problem with the fact that I was given a Resident Visa, as I had planned to apply for one eventually. I am, however, confused. The office obviously made a mistake but will it be alright for me to use this visa without going through the extra documentation and health check? It just seems too good to be true and I’m a bit weary. Has this happened to anyone else? As for the duration of stay being ***, what does that mean? :ponder:

Interesting. I wonder if this is going to be the new process for incoming students.

The *** duration of stay means that there’s no limit to how long you can stay, whereas the Visitor Visa will say something like 60 DAYS. Anyway, the real value is in the ARC, and you’ll have to get your health check to apply for your ARC. Once you get your ARC you’ll be able to leave and enter Taiwan freely.

[quote=“Steve4nLanguage”]Interesting. I wonder if this is going to be the new process for incoming students.

The *** duration of stay means that there’s no limit to how long you can stay, whereas the Visitor Visa will say something like 60 DAYS. Anyway, the real value is in the ARC, and you’ll have to get your health check to apply for your ARC. Once you get your ARC you’ll be able to leave and enter Taiwan freely.[/quote]

I didn’t know I had to get a health check for the ARC… the immigration site just said I needed to fill out the application form, bring my passport, a 2x2 photo, an enrollment certificate to a school, and the fee:
immigration.gov.tw/ct.asp?xI … 30085&mp=2

This might be out of topic, but I have been struggling to get my JFRV because of the Police Records (I haven’t been on my home country for 11 years). And I saw somewhere that if you have an ARC (student or work) you are no longer required to show the police records, nevertheless last time I went to HK for a visa run the told me in the TECO office that I cannot get a resident visa based on marriage (it was a NIA suggestion) because my marriage is not registered in my home country (and that’s another long annoyance) but NIA is willing to overlook the marriage thing if I get either my Police Records or a resident visa. I heard you where suppose to go school 90 days before been able to apply for a ARC.

So the thing is, could I apply for a student visa and after getting my ARC apply for a JFRV and drop from school (or don’t drop, whatever)?

I need to go HK the first week of September so I was just wondering. Or what are my options to apply for a Resident Visa if I can’t do it right now based on marriage?

[quote]I didn’t know I had to get a health check for the ARC… the immigration site just said I needed to fill out the application form, bring my passport, a 2x2 photo, an enrollment certificate to see school, and the fee:
immigration.gov.tw/ct.asp?xI … 30085&mp=2[/quote]
After reading the list of required documents, found on the back of the ARC form, I’m surprised to see that the health check isn’t listed. Every year that I renewed my ARC I had to submit a health check.

Now I’m wondering if the requirement is for obtaining a work permit rather than the ARC.

Anyone know?

I used to stay right on top of these requirements and I think I still have a somewhat firm grasp.
If you have been here more than 5 continuous years (no exit for more than 183 days in one calendar year) you are eligible for an APRC. For those who are opting for a JFRV, think again. Death and divorce, heaven forbid, bring new problems to the surface, even if you have kids. Bye the way, you are still eligible for a JFRV and split the sheets, with kids, start jumping through hoops.
After you have been here the required time, you WILL need a new health check, even if you had one yesterday. It’s a bit different but . . . same old crap. Just do it and pay the 1,600 NT.
On top of that, you will need a local criminal records check. Easily done at Fuzhong MRT exit 1, at the police station right behind the MRT station. Where is that one may ask! Well look for all the police motorcycles. This is about the easiest part. Just go straight in, follow your nose and look for the sign. “Hey! Gringo” No problem. The abroad records check use to be the real problem. No longer required. This happened about one week before I got my FBI check sent to me. Count your newbie blessings.
Take your passport(s), your local criminal records check and your current APRC health check to immigration and apply for your APRC, which should arrive in a couple days.
Did I forget anything? See a detailed list under the sticky afore detailed.

Not to worry: pretty well everything related to that issue is in the thread starting at
forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi … 67&t=80053
If you think that thread has no bearing on your situation, then it could be that you have overlooked something, that someone in a T office made a mistake, or that your situation is, indeed, different. Based on what you have not yet told us we can’t guess any better than you… :wink:

Thank you all guys for all the answers, sorry I hacked the tread, I didn’t specified that I have been in Taiwan only 13 months, I spent the prior 10 years on a country other than my own. I didn’t even made a pit stop before coming to Taiwan. So I’m on visa runs that’s all.

[quote=“Steve4nLanguage”][quote]I didn’t know I had to get a health check for the ARC… the immigration site just said I needed to fill out the application form, bring my passport, a 2x2 photo, an enrollment certificate to see school, and the fee:
immigration.gov.tw/ct.asp?xI … 30085&mp=2[/quote]
After reading the list of required documents, found on the back of the ARC form, I’m surprised to see that the health check isn’t listed. Every year that I renewed my ARC I had to submit a health check.

Now I’m wondering if the requirement is for obtaining a work permit rather than the ARC.

Anyone know?

.[/quote]

The order for teachers is:
health check
signed contract and work statement (just a document from the buxiban)
work permit
resident visa
ARC

For students it is different but I don’t exactly know the steps since I haven’t gone that route. I think students typically come on extendable visitor visas (or perhaps visa exempt) and for whatever reason they have to do a visa run after they have attended classes for 4 months at which time they apply for resident visa (and then ARC). The health check was due before the resident visa. This at least seemed true of students 3 years ago when an ex-gf went through the process. A student with more student friends would know more and things could have changed.

It seems that the OP was allowed to skip steps in the process but it shouldn’t cause problems in the future. maybe some confusion when your school wants to start processing the resident visa paperwork (which is done). the other benefit is that the OP should qualify for NHI right away.

For students:

Get Visitor VISA - Go to TW
Do all admin required to convert to residency VISA.
Apply for residency VISA WITHIN Taiwan. No Visa runs required.
Get ARC.

Done.

[quote=“Drexel”]For students:

Get Visitor VISA - Go to TW
Do all admin required to convert to residency VISA.
Apply for residency VISA WITHIN Taiwan. No Visa runs required.
Get ARC.

Done.[/quote]

That sounds great, but what I was talking was about:

Enroll while in Taiwan (no more extensions, all cashed).
Go Hong Kong, ask for a resident visa.
Come back to TW get an ARC.
Apply for a JFRV (Police records are waived if you have a ARC)
Drop from school.
Try to don’t divorce.

Can?

Edit: I’ve heard that I need to attend for at least 90 days on a visitor visa before I can get a ARC (no idea for the resident visa) so getting a resident visa out of TW would allow me to drop school right away if needed (after getting JFRV 1st), not that I’m gonna do it, but I want the option.