Apply for residency after some delay

Hi all,
I lived and worked in Taiwan from 2008 to 2013. During this time I received 5 ARCs. However I left a few months short of the full year in the last year I was here - I could have stayed if I had wanted to as my visa was for the whole year. Could I apply for permanent residence on the basis those 5 continuous ARCs now in 2020? I have been back in Taiwan a few times on a tourist visa since then including right now.

Hi @ryanx,

The relevant legislation for acquiring permanent residence in Taiwan is Article 25 of the Immigration Act.

This article contains a line:

An application for permanent residence pursuant to Paragraph 1 or Paragraph 2 shall be made within two (2) years after the period of stay and residence expires.

so, unfortunately, based on my quick reading you are no longer eligible to apply for permanent residence based on your stay from 2008-2013. The only exceptions to this are:

1. Having made exceptional contributions to the State.
  2. Are senior professional personnel as needed by the State.
  3. Have participated in races, contests and assessments in the fields of culture, art, technology, sports and industry, which are acknowledged internationally and have won the first prizes.
3 Likes

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. I will check out the regulation you have mentioned but I am certain you are correct. It was always a long shot.

1 Like