Applying for NWOHR, parent pinyin name does not match their USA english name

Hello I am a USA citizen (29M) currently in Taiwan on a work visa. I plan on going back to the USA soon and then returning to get my TARC. My parents are dual citizens of the USA and Taiwan.

I am currently preparing and reading the paperwork/documents needed for this process. I read on the TECO website that if the parents pinyin name on their passport do not match their english name I will have to submit a name change form (or something of that nature). My parent (mom) name on my birth certificate does not match her Taiwanese Passport pinyin name. Does anyone have any experience with this issue?

I am sure many people can relate that the process is very frustrating and challenging. I do plan on contacting my home TECO (Houston) and getting more clarification. Thank you

1 Like

Best to contact TECO directly. If there is a slight mistake in your application, my experience is that authorities aren’t so willing to bend over, even if they want to help, even if it is Robert vs Rob. They (government authorities) don’t want to take the responsibility if something goes wrong.

Are you sure the stuff is in pinyin? Taiwan uses the bopomofo system.

If it’s anything like my experience where my mom adapted an English name as a US citizen AND changed her name in Taiwan but not the US, they will want a notarized statement from her explaining the difference, even if it’s kinda obvious.

Bopomofo is more of a pronunciation guide for learning Mandarin or informally for certain expressions (e.g. ㄍㄧㄥ,kinda means stubborn)… However, romanization still depends on Latin characters, which Taiwan seemed to use Wade-Giles or 通用拼音 in the early days (e.g. where 學 might be “hsueh”), but later switched to Hanyu Pinyin (“xúe”)…

EDIT: Didn’t know how old this thread was when I saw it in related topics, but if it’s useful to somebody then glad to be of assistance.

Yes, same happened with me. I had to submit a copy of my mother’s US Certificate of Naturalization which contained a note of her legal name change on the back.