Applying for Taiwan Passport, Father deceased

I’ve been combing the archives and have collected a bunch of information together about how to get my application together. I’ve read that I need notarized copies of my mother and father’s Taiwan passport as well as a copy of their marriage license. My father passed away a few years ago. Does anybody know if I still need to notarize his passport and still need the marriage license? Or can I just apply under my mother?

1 Like

Yes, you still need their marriage certificate if they were married, and your father’s death certificate, iiuc.

You could confirm with TECO in your area or the headquarter of NIA at Taipei. You could send an email though it may take about a month or more to get a reply. Or you could just prepare those documents in case you need them.

I just did this… though my situation isn’t exactly the same, I am applying for a passport as well. I needed to have my father’s death certificate authenticated (not notarized) by the TECO jurisdiction where he died

I would call TECO and ask. I’ve had no problems getting email replies from TECO and TECRO DC. Sometimes they prefer to talk on the phone to avoid having to write emails.

Thanks! Did you still have to provide your parent’s marriage certificate and a notarized copy of your deceased parent?

Sorry I’m not that far along yet, still getting other documents authenticated before I can submit my actual passport application. I would say probably yes, you need the marriage certificate and yes you will need the passports.

I’m not sure if notarization is needed. For my passport they said no notarization and not to send the original, I just needed to write on the copy that it’s legit.

I believe different TECOs will have different ways of doing things, so it’s best to ask the TECO who will be doing your application. When I spoke to TECRO DC for example, they were probably tired of back and forth emails with me, so they were like just send what you got and we’ll let you know if we need anything else lol

Just wanted to comment on my original post for posterity in case anybody finds this thread and faced the same situation.

My mother was able to get a Household Registration declaring that she was married to my dad, and that my dad was deceased. Because the Household Registration was proof of all of this I did NOT have to provide my parent’s marriage certificate or my dad’s original passport. I did include an original copy of his death certificate just in case though.

Hope that helps!

1 Like