Applying for US passport renewal at AIT

Has anyone had recent experience with this process? I understand I can go in person to AIT, hand in the form, keep my current US passport while the new application is in process, and go back there to pick it up 2-3 weeks later. I assume this means I can still use my current passport with the new one is in process, in case of quick notice trips to leave taiwan?

Also, does anyone know if I can apply for a replacement passport even if i have a few years left on the current one? Lets say i just want the enhanced security features of the new one.

Thanks in advance for any experience/advice.

I just had to do this. What you do is go in and fill out an application for a new passport. It’s $67 dollars. YOu can pay NT or by charge card. Then you have to give them 2 passport sized photos. I got mine taken around the corner at the Kodak store which took 10 mins. Then go back give them your photos. They make sure all paper work is correct and then you’re out.

You can pick it up or they can send it to you. I think it will take roughly 3 weeks.

Easy as apple pie. Go early so you don’t have to wait. They are closed from 12 to 1:30. And you do keep your old passport. If you want to keep your old passport after they give you a new one, they will put holes in your old one.

I have on occasion successfully used the cancelled one as a deposit while travelling, e.g., when renting a bicycle or something. (They asked for my passport, but I didn’t want to give up control of my active one.)

The photographs have to be a specific size, and that size is not extremely common in Taiwan. Also, there are specifications about the “background,” etc.

So you are best to check out those details first.

P.S. I found most photography shops referring to these as “Mei(3) Qian(1) photos” … which would be “American visa photos.” So, that nomenclature may be of some help.

[quote=“Hartzell”]The photographs have to be a specific size, and that size is not extremely common in Taiwan. Also, there are specifications about the “background,” etc.

So you are best to check out those details first.

P.S. I found most photography shops referring to these as “Mei(3) Qian(1) photos” … which would be “American visa photos.” So, that nomenclature may be of some help.[/quote]

There’s a photo store right in the alley next door to AIT–you can’t miss it–that does U.S. passport/visa-sized photos.