Appreciating the work of security guards

A thread on rude security guards inspired me to make this post.

For those of you who have good building guards, how do you show appreciation for their work? They always smile and say hello to all the people. They helped us with communication, when we couldn’t speak good Chinese with someone on phone.

Maybe my view is wrong, but I feel sad watching them essentially waste their time in this job - most of the times there is nothing to do. There never seem to read a book. Mostly they just browse their mobiles and chat.

Last new year we gave them a bunch of pen-stands (didn’t think of a better gift). Any other ideas? Especially if you could suggest a good Chinese short stories book, I will see if we could gift it. Other ideas are welcome.

1 Like

An offer of Gaoliang usually helps.

Fruit is always welcome in my experience.

I don’t know whether they drink wine, but thanks for the suggestion.

Nice idea!

They’ll drink it, but they’d prefer an expensive Scotch or cognac.

1 Like

Don’t see you offering to comp the guy some chocolate milk, you stingy bastard.

Our building doesn’t even have a guard. We have to sign for our own damn packages.

Always had good rapport with the ole’ boys in blue. Helps that my missus is a charmer and drops off green tea for 'em when she gets the chance.

Guys and gals at my building are pretty good. Always say good morning, goodbye, hello and thank you.
Ive been told by a few of my Taiwanese friends here that genuine politeness goes extremely far. Most people don’t give them the time of day or any gratefulness. Just gotta show you appreciate them and their work.

2 Likes

That’s almost certainly to make up for your behavior the night before.

As the one who started the negative thread, I want to contribute here too. I have two amazing guards who work for minimum wage and always have a smile and a greeting. We sometimes chat for ten or more minutes and they really are interested in knowing more about my life or about other topics of discussion. Every time I receive a gift of a box of cakes/cookies, or buy one bottle of tea and get one free, I will share with them. They’ve helped me in so many ways, and always with a smile. If I’m out of town and there are packages for me, they will store them and bring them out every day, even when they are very heavy (like 50 vinyl records). Same story in another apartment building I lived in for over five years.

Before, they had to stay up all night to guard 24-7, but thankfully they now work only from 5:30 am to 11:30 pm, with varied shifts. They also lost no pay. I’m glad for this, as it was sad to see them awake and bored to death as I went on a 3 am snack run. I totally understand that passing time sitting and having little to do seems to be a much longer time than when you have more interesting responsibilities. Nevertheless, they do a lot and their job is very important. Thanks to them!

I’m certainly appreciative of those minimum wage workers out there who just grin and bear it. I know deep down they’re thankful for their opportunities.

A lot of them are retired military, so it’s kind of pin money for them.

They put a spring-back mechanism in the boom gate after I moved in so, perhaps you are correct.

1 Like

True, but not the ones I know. One is physically deformed. The two are friendly and professional and have to live on 20ish K a month. Including their family, since they are at retirement age.

I’m sure many of them need the money. I wasn’t trying to suggest otherwise.

He’s not physically deformed nasally is he?

1 Like

No worries. Even most retirees don’t have a decent plan. In terms of one of my guards, he’s missing a few fingers. I’m the one who’s deformed nasally,哈哈哈!

1 Like