Appropriate content for children?

Again, kids with those issues have shitty parents. I already said that. Kids have good rule models, they can successfully moderate themselves.

Again, I disagree. Massively.

2 Likes

@DonR , @superking , @Brianjones , So, are guys saying that kids can sit through a 3 hour podcast in which they may be influenced by topics discussed therein and that makes the podcast bad?

Me, no. I’m saying there is a reason why entertainment content carries age restrictions, because young minds aren’t developed enough to understand what they are being exposed to.

3 Likes

I’ve spawned a no context thread. That’s how I roll, baby.

2 Likes

I don’t know nothing, but I would not let my child watch anything that could traumatize him for the rest of his life, in real life or in film. Like, for instance, wouldn’t you all put your hand in front of your child’s eyes when someone dies on the street after an accident, someone tries to escape from a fire and jumps to his death from the 10th floor, horror movies, rape scenes, brutal murder, torture, sadism… you really want those images overload the brain of a child? There are lot of adults running around who will never recover from horrible memories.

The other day someone gave us a bag of cheap toys, like warships, soldiers, tanks, crappy plastic shit made in China. I tried to play with our 2.5 year old for ten minutes, then put it away for some other day (or never). Why should he know about war when he does not even know how to use his chopsticks?

3 Likes

How would they correlate war toys with actual wars when they are 2?

Even older kids don’t really know what war actually is…

Are you scared it will desensitize them?

Also, why was this threaded originally started? >.>

This reminded me of my wife’s best mate. She didn’t let her kids play with toy guns, soldiers etc. loved giving everyone advice and showing what a great mom she is. When my daughter was a month odd old we had a meal with her. Her four year old decided to pick up a fork, walk around the table and try to stab my newborn in the head. Luckily my spider senses could see he was gonna do something fucked up.

1 Like

War? He try to eat them if he’s a human kid.

I will let our boy play with toy guns when I he wants to and I think he’s able to comprehend what fighting and killing means. Till then, there are other ways to teach him about social behavior, how to deal with feelings like disliking other children, the urge to hit, bite, scratch, pull, etc. I just feel very uneasy with the glorification of violence, settling conflicts with force, etc. We watch shows with animals like lions, and I will let him see not-to graphic images of predators catching prey, and he knows how to use a flip-flop to kill a cockroach. I think, children should be gradually introduced to the real world, with parent guidance and supervision.

1 Like

When he can do it barefoot, give us a shout. :wink:

I agree. My kids naturally turn away from violence/ scary stuff on tv. They always ask me to turn off shows that seem quite tame to me.

1 Like

Huh weird I would think the opposite
soliders = “responsible adults” legally shooting weapons.
Toy weapons = letting children think they are not serious.

If you think the opposite is better that’s okay too! Too bad weapons and war are even things we have to tell them about in general. :frowning:

To the horror movie thing. Am I the only who would watch them growing up even at an age I probably shouldn’t have been allowed to watch them. They never scared me till I became an adult and realized “oh hey people actually do fucked up things like this”. Now I can’t watch them because they’re too much like reality.

It depends on how old you are. I taught kindergarten last year. They were talking about watching IT ffs. In Taiwan years ago, I saw Saving Private Ryan in a theater. There was a 4-5 year old kid running around. That’s a bit early I think to watch guys getting their arms blown off on the beach and then walking away with it tucked under the good arm.

1 Like

And you definition of children is how old?

Who are you asking?

2 Likes

@superking

1 Like

I think I watched IT at a similar age (4-5) and killer klownz lol not war movies. I still need to watch PVT Ryan.

It never gave me issuses or anything and I was never scared. No nightmares etc. I truly wasn’t scared till around 20 lol.

What you’re saying is it took you 15 years to adequately process it, and then it scared you, is that right?

Up to 20. It fluctuates but 20 is widely considered the start of adulthood. Your body starts performing differently around that age.

And I don’t think 18-20 year olds need stuff censored for them, just to be more informative.

Edit: My niece is 17. She still needs scaffolding. First boyfriend, going to work, friends who have committed suicide (two sadly) etc. She still needs some level of being seen as a child.

1 Like