APRC Application Procedures (Official Checklist)

Haven’t received an email, so planning to call them tonight. I tried to search all of the links on their website. Found two potential hits http://www.boca.gov.tw/ct.asp?xItem=5753&ctNode=790&mp=2 and http://www.boca.gov.tw/ct.asp?xItem=5755&ctNode=790&mp=2 If you click them you will see they are both “updating” from 6/6. My Chinese ability isn’t good enough to browse the Chinese version of the website. Perhaps they have some hidden treasure trove of information. Regardless, I’ll try to call them if I haven’t received an email from them by tonight.

Okay, just got off the phone with TECRO.

Here are the specifics:

When sending in the documents for authentications you need

Completed and signed Application form
The original FBI check
1 Copy of Picture page of passport
Cashier’s Check for $53USD

The cost of the express shipping has gone up from 29.95 to 38USD, so you need to send $53USD in the form of a cashiers check.

I asked several times about the need for duplicates and she said it wasn’t necessary. She said she could copy the FBI check for me. The only copy you need is a copy of the passport, since you don’t want to send the original through the mail.

It seems like this way is more streamlined than it used to be.

She said once they are done authenticating it, they will send it to Taiwan, and from there I will need to authenticate the Chinese translation. I’ve been told the place to do this is at a Court Office. I’m not quite to that step but I will post my experience if no one else has by that time.

@Jason242, Thanks for documenting the process and providing updated info. I’ll be applying for my APRC next year, so I appreciate everyone’s input.

No problem Steve. I think we are all in the same boat here, just trying to stay ahead enough in the know that we don’t get thrown to the fishes.

Ok, no flaming me :slight_smile: I have searched and read a jillion things plus talked to others on the phone and I still have a question or two. I have been eligible for ages but I’m finally getting my APRC. I’m Canadian, and most of the info I’m finding is for Americans or it’s out dated.

Is there anyway to speed up my Canadian criminal record check and has anyone done it (by mail from Taiwan recently?). And you think this would be obvious, but how much is it and where do I pay? I want to pay with visa but can’t find any information about and how much. And belive it or not, I actually already called the Canadian Trade office (they told me to talk to the RCMP) and the RCMP and… there was serious lack of anyone knowing anything… :noway: sigh.

So I’m hoping to get the Criminal record check submitted this week… (I wanted to finish it today and ran into a wee road block) I don’t want to send a money order because I’ve heard complaints that slows the process down, I’ve heard you can pay with a credit card but now I can’t find out how to do that. ARG.

Any help or information would be greatly appreciated! Thanks (I may try to do the documenting of the whole process like that other fellow did for the states) just so there is an updated step by step for Canadians too :slight_smile:.

I just spent a few seconds doing a search “Canadian APRC”. I got quite a few hits. I would highly recommend confirming all of this information by calling your Canadian Taiwanese De Facto consulate. But perhaps you can check out this Topic and see if there is any more info. [url]120 days for a criminal background check from Canada?

One example is —

[quote=“jjdeboer”]I have just gone through the process myself. The time frame was much less than 180 days, ~75 days.

Here is how I did it:

1. Fingerprints taken at NIA in Pingdong - didn’t use the special form mentioned, just the one at the NIA.

2. Sent the fingerprints and other documentation to the rcmp in Ottawa (Feb 2). I sent a money order obtained from First Commercial Bank in Taiwan. I had the results sent to my mom in Vancouver.

3. When the paperwork arrived April 15 (it took far less than 180 days, to my dismay at the time since I couldn’t apply for an APRC until June 1), I had her scan it in so that I could get it translated by a friend here.

4. Once I had the translation, I sent my mom the forms to get the criminal records check AND the translation authenticated. Then my mom got a money order to pay for the authentication AND the fedexing of it to Taiwan. Note that it costs $20 for the authentication PLUS $40 for the translation. I misunderstood and didn’t send in enough money, so only my wife’s translation was notorized. But both oirignals WERE authenticated. Note also that I didn’t need an agent since I sent my mom the forms with my wife’s and my signatures and she just mailed them in to the TECO in Ottawa.

5. That last step took a while since we were unprepared for the Criminal Record Check to come so quickly, however, we received the documents on May 31 so it was okay - it was still valid for another month which was plenty of time to apply for the APRC.

6. Since I had miscalculated the costs and hadn’t had my translation notorized, I still needed to do that here. I went to the district court in Pingdong and it took maybe 15 minutes to get it notorized. It only cost $750, which is cheaper than the $40 TECO wanted, so I was happy.

7. Then I went to the NIA to apply for the APRC. Due to a misunderstanding on my part, only my wife was eligible (but not because of a problem with the Criminal Record Check), so I applied for her and she was notified that she was accepted on Monday (June 21). Yeah!

Here is the translation we used, if it helps. Just replace the english fields as appropriate.

Royal Canadian Mounted Police 檔案續號
1200 Vanier Parkway 1100710000XXXXXXXX
Ottawa, Ontario
K1A 0R2

2010-03-30

XXXX de Boer
Address
City, Prov
Postal Code

親愛的先生/女士:
由加拿大皇家警方提供的國際犯罪紀錄資料庫所顯示的指紋、姓名及出生年月日,證明其相關人士在聯邦法律所屬的犯罪證明中並無相關犯罪紀錄。

申請類別: 簽證 / 過境 /國外旅遊 / 工作
特殊申請:
指紋壓印日期: 2010-02-02

申請人全名: Last Name, First 出生日期: Birthdate 性別: 女性 (female in this case)

地址: Residential Address
Pingdong County
Taiwan ROC

犯罪記錄資料確認完成日期: 2010-03-29

Guylaine A. Dansereau
主管機關
加拿大即時犯罪資料認証服務

附註: 原始指紋樣本已銷毀 本文件內容依加拿大個人隱私法律規範處理[/quote]

I was going to post something not useful about how I’d looked in there (and actually I did but was disheartened by the post dates, hoping to get more recent information. That said, I definitely (from reading more closely) got more information that I had and led me down a trail to get further information. Thanks!

Good luck on your APRC. I’m currently just waiting for TECRO to send me the authentication for the FBI check and I’ll be drawing close to a close of this APRC application theme park ride. I feel like I should get an award for just completing the process XD

lol… well you do get a prize kinda… the APRC… LOL

Ok for any Canadians out there… check out this… I just found it. I’m going to call them tonight and see if this is as AMAZING as it sounds canadianlegal.org/fingerprintin/ … ing-times/
For those too lazy to click on the link, it’s a legal service that might help you turn print fingerprints into digital and turn the process into a few days instead of months.

ATTENTION CANADIANS

I found a magic way to get your criminal record check within 1-3 weeks FROM Taiwan. As in a way to do the digital prints from here, with out flying home or chopping off your fingers and mailing them to the police (they prolly take that the wrong way anyway).

I documented this in a different thread (and plan to write it all out start to finish like the American guy did (sticky at the beginning of the thread) but here is what I have so far.

There are now services in Canada (very new like a month or two old) that can transfer your paper prints into digital and submit them for you. canadianlegal.org/fingerprintin/ … ng-4/#Fees
plus 50 bucks and change for them and taxes

You can use skype to call them for free, using their 1-800 number (it in a big blue box on their site).

And this is the deal, first way easier to pay… you can pay them by credit card. The cost is the 25 dollar rcmp fee and you pay an extra 50 bucks and change (fucking Canada and the plus tax :fume: … really on a fucking service… whatever).

You get the fingerprinting document from The Canadian Trade office… (grab a bunch bc they don’t care and the NIA will take the left overs) I got three just in case.

Print some release form from the law office (call them and they will email you) , and photo copy two forms of Canadian ID I used my Drivers licence and my passport.

Go to the NIA, and go downstairs (in taipei) counter 58, the super nice agent will help you fingerprint yourself. I did two forms because I changed my name once in the past. but it was a really long time ago… so sometimes there are issues and sometimes there aren’t. That cost 100nt per set…

The I walked the 5 steps to the post office, the one on the same floor of the NIA, and couriered it to their office. Cost 300nt will take 3-5 days. (… and the length of that depends entirely on Canada post. It was on a plane to Canada by 930 pm that evening.) I sent it to the woman in the office that I had spoken with that day before. Also to make sure I hadn’t made any mistakes, I took photos of every document and of my ID as well and emailed that all to their office. While I was sleeping they confirmed that the photos looked good and that I had included everything needed. (I did this because I’d rather pay to courier something the next day, than wait till at arrives to find out something is missing)

Now I wait. She told me depending on when my documents arrive at their office, I (my friend I’m having it sent to in Canada) may have my criminal record check as early as (I sent it july 13th) july 24rd or 25th. As long as I dont have a record (I don’t) the latest July August 3rd. :discodance:

So how this is being fast tracked is, they have(or at least access to) a special (accepted by the RCMP) Machine that can scan your paper prints into the correct digital format so you can do the digital fasty fasty criminal record check WITHOUT being in Canada.

WIN

I just spent I-hate-to-think-how-much time reading every page of this topic. Whew!

I want to make sure I understand one point, though. The step-by-step guide on page 1 by rk1951 is the correct, up-to-date procedure for Americans, except for the Chinese translation of the FBI Background Check, correct?

As I understand, previously you could use the translation template that Northcoast Surfer or rk1951 provided, plug in your own information, include this translation with the English version, send them to TECRO, and for an additional fee the TECRO office would authenticate both the English and Chinese versions.

Now, according to http://www.forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=80053&start=800#p1437153, once the English FBI Background Check has been authenticated by TECRO, it must be translated into Chinese and notarized/authenticated in Taiwan instead. Correct?

(I think it would be quite helpful to have this new information on the first page; perhaps Northcoast Surfer is working on that)

Other than the above, I’d like to ask a couple more questions:

[ul]1. My five-year ARC date will be May 30, 2013. However, the official application procedure on page 1 states that the applicant must reside in Taiwan 183 days for each year. So, does that mean I can’t really apply until 183 days have passed in 2013 (July 2nd)?

1. For the health check, this thread’s link of valid hospitals doesn’t work for me (http://www.forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=80053&start=480#p1282650). Can I just go to the same hospital that does my ARC health check every year?[/ul]

Mostly right, but much simpler now. As in my post, you only need to send 4 things to TECRO: original copy of FBI Background check, completed application form, copy of passport picture page, and a cashier’s check for $53 USD.

I haven’t received the authentication from TECRO yet, but yes it needs to be done in Taiwan. Unless you are in the D.C. area and then they will authenticate it. I should receive my authentication of the FBI check by Aug 1st. I will then see if Northcoast Surfer’s Chinese translation will work here in Taiwan. I have been told that you need to go to a District Court to complete the procedure.

[quote=“Steve4nLanguage”]
[ul]1. My five-year ARC date will be May 30, 2013. However, the official application procedure on page 1 states that the applicant must reside in Taiwan 183 days for each year. So, does that mean I can’t really apply until 183 days have passed in 2013 (July 2nd)?

1. For the health check, this thread’s link of valid hospitals doesn’t work for me (http://www.forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=80053&start=480#p1282650). Can I just go to the same hospital that does my ARC health check every year?[/ul][/quote]

2. Don’t know for sure. Would assume once 5 years had passed you could apply, but of course I’d suggest calling NIA.

3. I just went to the hospital I do my ARC health check. It cost 1,800 NTD for the health check. They will know if they can do it, but be prepared to poop in a cup.

Steve, the very first step is to GO to NIA, DO NOT CALL, GO, and have them check your records to see if you are eligible. Do not move a finger until you have their green light.

There could be a gap somewhere in your stay, they are the only ones who know if you have to wait more time and how long, they will give you a list of requisites and send you on your merry way. You will become acquainted with the officials in charge and get a number to call when you hit a bump.

[quote=“Icon”]Steve, the very first step is to GO to NIA, DO NOT CALL, GO, and have them check your records to see if you are eligible. Do not move a finger until you have their green light.

There could be a gap somewhere in your stay, they are the only ones who know if you have to wait more time and how long, they will give you a list of requisites and send you on your merry way. You will become acquainted with the officials in charge and get a number to call when you hit a bump.[/quote]

Icon IS right. If you haven’t already sat down with them to check your eligibility, you definitely need to do that. I had already assumed you had.
I never had to worry about my dates of stay, because since I got here I’ve never left Taiwan.

Thanks all. It’s still a year away, and I’ll definitely check with the NIA before starting to gather all of the paperwork.

I was just curious if anyone knew about the 5th year. For example, if someone arrived on Jan 2, 2008, then their 5 years would be up on Jan 2, 2013, but they wouldn’t have been in Taiwan for 183 days yet in the 2013 calendar year.

[quote=“Steve4nLanguage”]Thanks all. It’s still a year away, and I’ll definitely check with the NIA before starting to gather all of the paperwork.

I was just curious if anyone knew about the 5th year. For example, if someone arrived on Jan 2, 2008, then their 5 years would be up on Jan 2, 2013, but they wouldn’t have been in Taiwan for 183 days yet in the 2013 calendar year.[/quote]

I think you can just look at 2008-2013

In 2008 stayed in Taiwan for 183 days? yes (good)/ no (game over)
In 2009 stayed in Taiwan for 183 days? yes (good)/ no (game over)
In 2010 stayed in Taiwan for 183 days? yes (good)/ no (game over)
In 2011 stayed in Taiwan for 183 days? yes (good)/ no (game over)
In 2012 stayed in Taiwan for 183 days? yes (good)/ no (game over)

If you can answer yes to all those, then as far as that requirement you should have no problem.

2013 would constitute your sixth year in Taiwan that is if the date you gave is your own.

[quote=“Steve4nLanguage”]Thanks all. It’s still a year away, and I’ll definitely check with the NIA before starting to gather all of the paperwork.

I was just curious if anyone knew about the 5th year. For example, if someone arrived on Jan 2, 2008, then their 5 years would be up on Jan 2, 2013, but they wouldn’t have been in Taiwan for 183 days yet in the 2013 calendar year.[/quote]

It’s based on years here, not calendar year. I reached my five year mark on March 28th last year. I went in that same day with my docs and got my APRC about a week later, definitely less than 183 days in the calendar year. The one thing to keep in mind with this is that if your five year day comes after the new year, but prior to the tax deadline, you may still need to show the tax forms that are due in that year.

[quote=“Tiare”][quote=“Steve4nLanguage”]Thanks all. It’s still a year away, and I’ll definitely check with the NIA before starting to gather all of the paperwork.

It’s based on years here, not calendar year. I reached my five year mark on March 28th last year. I went in that same day with my docs and got my APRC about a week later, definitely less than 183 days in the calendar year. The one thing to keep in mind with this is that if your five year day comes after the new year, but prior to the tax deadline, you may still need to show the tax forms that are due in that year.[/quote]

Thanks; that’s the information I was looking for.

My five years will be up on May 30, 2013, and I want to take care of this as soon as possible. I’ll have the 2012 tax form by that time. Of course, I’ll still check with the NIA before I gather all of the documents to get the official eligibility date for my situation.

Just got my FBI check back today. I was comparing the FBI Chinese Translation that Northeast Surfer had done before. It appears that the version is slightly different from then. Not a lot just a little bit. His version was 01-20-2010. Currently they use 01-20-2011.

Only slight changes over the previous version of Northeast Surfer’s.

1-787 (Rev. 01-12-2011)

美國聯邦調查局
                                              犯罪調查資訊部門
					  克拉克斯堡,[color=#FFBF00]西維琴尼亞州[/color]26306
					  日期6/29/2012  5636

NAME
C/O: NAME
US ADDRESS IN CHINESE

刑事司法信息服務部(CJIS)的聯邦調查局已完成下列指紋提交:

指紋提交人姓名 回覆日期 結果
NAME DATE 截至回覆日期沒有被捕記錄-

社會安全號碼: XXX-XX-0000

上述有效結果只回應至回覆日期為止所產生之結果。欲了解更多更新的信息,請提交新的指紋圖譜。

為了保護個人身份信息,從民國98年8月17日起,美國聯邦調查局的政策有變,不再退回指紋卡。此表格將作為聯邦調查局的正式回應。

任何疑問,可聯絡客戶服務組(304)625-5590。[color=#FFFF00]欲取得更多相關訊息,您也可以至網站www.fbi.gov 查詢[/color]。

Kimberley J. Del Greco
[color=#FFFF00]部門組長[/color]
生物識別技術服務組
刑事司法信息服務部

Today, I took my translation of the FBI check along with the original FBI check to the notary clerk’s office at the district court. It was relatively easy, but perhaps due to the notary clerk being lenient. I had a friend change some of Northeast Surfer’s original translation to fit the new version of the FBI check as I mentioned in my last post. In my experience:

I bought A3 Premium Color paper and cut it in the store to letter size. I’m not sure this is necessary, but it was mentioned in the original post. I asked the notary clerk and she said they prefer A4, but I think it comes down to what the NIA prefers. That is a question that may not be the same every time you ask so I personally think spending an additional 75nt on a ream of paper for just one piece fits into the equation quite adequately. We spend about 20k NTD on the whole process, so what’s 75NT?

When I arrived at the notary clerk’s office I handed the documents to the front office. They asked me who translated the document. At first I mentioned my friend, but then they told me that if my friend translated it then their signature is required. I then proceeded to say that my friend translated sections that were too difficult, but that it was after I was doing the original. I asked then if I could sign as the translator. They asked me to read sections from the translation to check my fluency. If you are going, be prepared to prove that you can read the document to prove you are the translator or it might be necessary to bring a Taiwanese friend to vouch for you. This means they may need to go to the notary clerk’s office with you. If it’s going to be hard to get a friend to go with you, you might try calling their office beforehand. The process is 750 NT, and other than proving Chinese fluency it is one of the more painless parts of the APRC procedure.

I turned in all my documents today. Just need to go to sign documents and pay the 10K next week and I’ll be waiting for yes or no.