APRC Application Procedures (Official Checklist)

[quote=“jason242”]Not understanding the mention about Chinese translation of the FBI check.[/quote]You didn’t read this entire thread, did you?

[quote=“jason242”]You need to translate it before you send it to TECO DC? Can’t they do that there?[/quote]No.

[quote=“jason242”]I mean they all speak Chinese and English there.[/quote]Authentication is their job, not translation.

[quote=“jason242”]Seems quite silly for a foreigner to translate English to Chinese when the person they are sending the document to has a much better grasp of Chinese.[/quote]They don’t require a foreigner to translate documents into Chinese themselves. You can pay a qualified translator to do it for you.[quote=“jason242”]I haven’t sent the FBI file yet. Do I need to do this as well?[/quote]You haven’t read this whole thread yet, have you?

1. Just because one can speak both English and Chinese does not mean one is able to translate.
  2. Translation isn’t TECO’s job, and if it were you would expect to pay a handsome sum for the service.
  3. The translation isn’t for the benefit of TECO, it’s for the benefit of Taiwan’s NIA.
  4. Check p. 12 of this thread for a translation template. Please note that it’s only a template. You must verify the content.

Let me thank you first for answering my question. You did answer my question and to be honest I didn’t read all 39 pages of this thread. I know that is potentially irritating to people that follow this forum/thread. I do apologize for this. I was in a bit of a hurry earlier. From what you said sounds like I have to have my parents copy the document and email it to me so I can translate and mail back the application and the translation to them.

Thanks Chris, I’ll check p. 12.

I’m a little worried about the procedure because I have all the requirements but not sure the salary will meet the requirement set by the NIA XD I’m going to try anyways and hope for the best.

Question: how many of you guys have “official translators” in your countries, people who take a government test and receive a license as translators? For instance, in my case, I just couldn’t copy/paste the translation, I had to have one of these fellows do it, they have an official seal and their signatures are registered with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. It does makes the process faster, and safer.

And yet, many people from back home complain when the Taiwanese embassy does not do it for them… sigh

1. Just because one can speak both English and Chinese does not mean one is able to translate.
  2. Translation isn’t TECO’s job, and if it were you would expect to pay a handsome sum for the service.
  3. The translation isn’t for the benefit of TECO, it’s for the benefit of Taiwan’s NIA.
  4. Check p. 12 of this thread for a translation template. Please note that it’s only a template. You must verify the content.[/quote]
    Tried doing a little translation work today. It’s not as easy as it looks no matter how well you speak both languages.

[quote=“Fortigurn”]…took my payment of NT$10,000, and informed me cheerfully that I could pick up my APRC on [color=#FF0000]February 17[/color].[/quote]Well? Any good news? (fingers crossed)

I’ll find out tomorrow. Wasn’t able to get there today due to work commitments. :neutral:

I’ll find out tomorrow. Wasn’t able to get there today due to work commitments. :neutral:[/quote]
I would have FOUND a way. To heck with work when it comes to these matters :snooty: .

Just wasn’t possible that day (had to get friends to the airport, and had an English club thing to do at work), but I managed to squeeze it in the very next day. I was there at 8:05. It was the best experience I’ve ever had with the immigration department; in and out in two minutes flat with my shiny new APRC in my hot little hand. I love the fact that it has a date of issue and no expiry date. I was actually looking forward to having a card with a new photo, since the photo on my old card was not very clear, having been made dark and fuzzy by whatever process they used to scan and print it. Unfortunately they managed to reproduce the effect with my new photo, so there’s no improvement in that department. Next week, my OPW.

:bravo:

Congratulations to the latest member of our elite little (and growing) club!

[quote=“Fortigurn”]Just wasn’t possible that day (had to get friends to the airport, and had an English club thing to do at work), but I managed to squeeze it in the very next day. I was there at 8:05. It was the best experience I’ve ever had with the immigration department; in and out in two minutes flat with my shiny new APRC in my hot little hand. I love the fact that it has a date of issue and no expiry date.[/quote]Congratulations! :discodance: :bravo:

Tell me, tell all of us. What was your immediate feeling right after you walked out of the NIA with regards to finally obtaining your APRC?

Congrats, Fortigurn! Smeagol is freeeeeeeeeee!

[quote=“Tiare”]Well, I sent through Taiwan EMS Post, but on the USPS site it is labeling it as a Global Express Mail envelope. So, I’ll cross my fingers and hope it’s the same problem. I plan to call tonight to check. Thanks, I feel a bit more optimistic.

[color=#FF0000]EDIT: Update - I called the office, and my letter did arrive. This morning the USPS website updated to “Delivered”, so I think it is some weird thing that they do with the Express Mail Envelope reporting at the Post Office. Thanks NorthCoast Surfer! (One month to go!!!)[/color][/quote]Good! Feeling of relief, isn’t it. Well, just a couple more months and the FBI background shuffle dance will be over and the hardest part about applying for the APRC will be completed! :bravo:

I’m a bit worried. When I went to start my paperwork, there was a statement:
“- Application must be made within 2 years of fulfilling the listed prerequisites.”

Now I’m scared shitless; I’ve just hit the seven-year mark on my current ARC. Does this mean it’s pointless to apply? Will I ever be eligible again without starting from square one?

[quote=“Northcoast Surfer”]Congratulations! :discodance: :bravo:

Tell me, tell all of us. What was your immediate feeling right after you walked out of the NIA with regards to finally obtaining your APRC?[/quote]

Immense relief. Thanks Chris. :slight_smile:

[quote=“nemesis”]I’m a bit worried. When I went to start my paperwork, there was a statement:
“- Application must be made within 2 years of fulfilling the listed prerequisites.”

Now I’m scared shitless; I’ve just hit the seven-year mark on my current ARC. Does this mean it’s pointless to apply? Will I ever be eligible again without starting from square one?[/quote]

All together now, all together now: NOOO :doh:

No worries on that regard. That two year clause is there to benefit you, not harm you. It is stated that, two years after you lose your 5 year residency for whatever cause, you can still apply. They are not so nasty here as to tell you to do it within the two years after you qualify. That is a misunderstanding.

Though most people I know do it as soon as they can. Doesn;t matter, as Nike says: Just do it! Join the club! Freedom!

[quote=“Icon”][quote=“nemesis”]I’m a bit worried. When I went to start my paperwork, there was a statement:

Now I’m scared shitless; I’ve just hit the seven-year mark on my current ARC. Does this mean it’s pointless to apply? Will I ever be eligible again without starting from square one?[/quote]

All together now, all together now: NOOO :doh:

No worries on that regard. That two year clause is there to benefit you, not harm you. It is stated that, two years after you lose your 5 year residency for whatever cause, you can still apply. They are not so nasty here as to tell you to do it within the two years after you qualify. That is a misunderstanding.

Though most people I know do it as soon as they can. Doesn;t matter, as Nike says: Just do it! Join the club! Freedom![/quote]

Thank you. I think my blood pressure is almost back to normal.

[quote=“nemesis”][quote=“Icon”][quote=“nemesis”]I’m a bit worried. When I went to start my paperwork, there was a statement:

Now I’m scared shitless; I’ve just hit the seven-year mark on my current ARC. Does this mean it’s pointless to apply? Will I ever be eligible again without starting from square one?[/quote]All together now, all together now: NOOO :doh:

Though most people I know do it as soon as they can. Doesn;t matter, as Nike says: Just do it! Join the club! Freedom![/quote]Thank you. I think my blood pressure is almost back to normal.[/quote]
Yes, Icon is correct, as usual. Just take a chill pill and get started on your APRC application. In fact, when I say get started, I actually mean that you MUST start here first.

1. Ensure that you are absolutely, positively, without a doubt qualified to apply for the APRC at this time. If you are not sure, just go to the NIA and have them run your resident record and they will let you know if you are in fact qualified at this point. It would be a complete waste of your time, money and effort going through the process only to have your application rejected simply because you weren’t eligible for some reason. Also, I’m not sure that you realize that 7 years doesn’t mean anything anymore as it pertains to applying for the APRC. Remember, the law was changed back in 2008 and it’s no longer 7 years in order to apply, it’s 5 years. So, you could have applied two years ago if you were eligible based on other requirements such as continuous residency and income, etc.

2. Federal Criminal Background Check. If it turns out that you are eligible to apply for the APRC at this time, then the next thing you need to work on is your federal criminal background check from your home country. This is the most difficult, time consuming, pain in the ass document that you will have to produce for your application. It can take months getting it completed by your federal police agency and that doesn’t count getting it authenticated at the TECRO office in your home country afterward. If you get all your other paperwork together first, the odds are that they will expire before you get your federal criminal background back and authenticated which would necessitate going to get the same documents….AGAIN! I’m talking about health check, Taiwan criminal background check, official tax statements, land/property appraisals, etc.

So, that was a bit long winded. If you like it short & sweet and to the point……

1. Go to the NIA and ensure you are qualified to apply for the APRC at this time.
  2. Apply for your federal criminal background check from your home country before you do anything else. What country are you from?

Good luck and make sure you read through this whole thread and then ask any questions you might have. Icon, Chris, A-ha, spaint, springonion, hipster dufus, ludahai, legant, rice_t, Rotalsnart, Paddy Joe, tairus, real_jedi2000, citizenK, GRC22, JohnS, Naughtius, Yingko, Jimipresley, and our newest member Fortigurn are here to assist you in successfully obtaining your APRC and joining the club. It’s important to note that Fortigurn is well known for having good documents. See him for any specifics as to what qualifies a document to be “good”!

No offense intended to other APRC club members if I failed to list your name. :blush:

I have come across something which may cause a snag in my grand plan to get an APRC. I went to the tax office and asked for my blue tax paper from 2009 because that is the last year that I filed taxes and because 2010 wasn’t all that great a year for me for reasons I won’t go into.
It turns out that my tax statement is from Nov 30th 2008 to Dec 1st 2009. I took it to the immigration offices and Mr. Juan, the man who handles APRCs, said that it was strange and that there was a small chance that I could be rejected because the final month of 2009 is not fully included. He said he was 90% certain that it would not be a problem, but I want to be 100% certain.
I am concerned and have two questions.

1. Would it be helpful to procure the paper that has the final month of 2009 on it and show it to immigration?
  2. Because I am filing using 2009 tax statements and am missing the final month of 2009 does speed up the process by which I must get everything done by one month?
    Any information you could give me would be helpful. :aiyo:

[quote=“Whole Lotta Lotta”]I have come across something which may cause a snag in my grand plan to get an APRC. I went to the tax office and asked for my blue tax paper from 2009 because that is the last year that I filed taxes and because 2010 wasn’t all that great a year for me for reasons I won’t go into.
It turns out that my tax statement is from Nov 30th 2008 to Dec 1st 2009. I took it to the immigration offices and Mr. Juan, the man who handles APRCs, said that it was strange and that there was a small chance that I could be rejected because the final month of 2009 is not fully included. He said he was 90% certain that it would not be a problem, but I want to be 100% certain.
I am concerned and have two questions.

1. Would it be helpful to procure the paper that has the final month of 2009 on it and show it to immigration?
  2. Because I am filing using 2009 tax statements and am missing the final month of 2009 does speed up the process by which I must get everything done by one month?
    Any information you could give me would be helpful. :aiyo:[/quote]The NIA rules state that you must have made at least $420,000 ntd for the tax year immediately preceeding the year you are applying for the APRC. Hmmmm…this is now 2011. Based on their rules and regulations, you are required to use your income from the 2010 tax year, and only the 2010 tax year. I’d be very surprised if this is going to fly. :no-no:

But, then again, “Here is Taiwan!” and anything can happen!

I would also like to add that I have personally successfully processed six APRC applications, not including my own. For each package, I have always submitted the past 5 years of tax statements just in case they wanted them at the last minute. They have only ever taken the past three years preceeding the application for the APRC. Since the NIA only started requiring the last one year preceeding the application, they have only taken the last year and left all the others in the application booklet I have made for my applicants to submit. They have shown no interest in taking the other tax year copies.