APRC Application Procedures (Official Checklist)

For the FBI background check, do I have to go to the US and do it, or could I get it done while I am in Taiwan? What kind of time scales are we talking about here? (How long does it take between submitting the forms to the FBI and getting the documents from them?)

Also, for the five-year residency requirement: is that five calendar years? Or five years from my first time of entry (provided no absences of over 6 months blah blah blah)? I came in September 2004.

[quote=“Chris”]For the FBI background check, do I have to go to the US and do it, or could I get it done while I am in Taiwan? What kind of time scales are we talking about here? (How long does it take between submitting the forms to the FBI and getting the documents from them?)[/quote]You don’t need to go to the US and do it. You can get it done while you’re here in Taiwan. I just finished mine and it was easy easy easy.

1. Go to the FBI website which has all the information you need to know about applying for your background check. FBI RECORD IDENTIFICATON REQUEST

2. Download the FBI’s standard fingerprint form (FD-258) from their website. It’s in PDF format and not protected so you can easily use the computer to type in your information. Then, print it out onto to a standard A4 card stock. Don’t use regular paper. Card stock, card stock, card stock. Make three copies in case the fingerprinting technician screws up.

3. Take the fingerprint cards you made to the National Immigration Agency. You need to pay $100NTD first, then take the receipt and the fingerprint cards to the technician for fingerprinting. Relax, let them roll your fingers just like the time you were arrested and the police…etc…

4. Go back to the FBI’s web page and download their easy peasy credit card payment form. It’s also in PDF format. Fill it out. Print it out.

5. Go back to the FBI’s web page and downoad their easy peasy coverletter for requesting your background check. It’s not protected so you can type your information on it, too. Print it out.

6. Get a nice mailing envelope and put all three standard fingerprint forms (FD-258), your credit card payment form, your coverletter requesting a background check into it.

7. Go to the post office and send that bad boy off to the FBI’s processing center.

FBI CJIS Division – Record Request
1000 Custer Hollow Road
Clarksburg, West Virginia 26306

The FBI’s website says that the processing time is 8-10 weeks upon receiving your package. I just sent mine off, so I don’t have any more I can tell you about “time frame”. However, one tip you should remember. Have the FBI send the completed background check to your address in the US, not Taiwan. Why? Because you need to get it translated into Chinese, then send the original FBI background with the Chinese translation off to the DC TECO to be certified, and then have the DC TECO send it to you in Taiwan where you can use it. So, here’s what I’m going to do.

1. Request has been sent off to the FBI.
  2. They will send it to me at my residence in America. Remember, the FBI will not and can’t send your background check to anyone else but you! Dont’ ask, they won’t do it.
  3. I will tell “myself” to open the background check when it arrives at my address in America, scan it and email me the scan so I can have it translated into Chinese. Afterward, I will email the Chinese translation back to America where it will be printed out by “myself”. I will have “myself” put the Chinese Translation with the original FBI background check into an envelope and send it off to the DC TECO to be certified. I will also pay the highest cost for express certification and mail service so it will get to Taiwan as fast as possible.
  4. Then I will submit my completed, certified by the DC TECO, FBI background check and Chinese translation to the Ministry of the Interior for final processing.

[quote=“Chris”]Also, for the five-year residency requirement: is that five calendar years? Or five years from my first time of entry (provided no absences of over 6 months blah blah blah)? I came in September 2004.[/quote]I don’t get it. What’s the difference? :blush:

In order to apply for the APRC you need to be a continuous resident (ARC holder) in Taiwan for the past 5 years. During this time you can’t have any breaks in resident visa status. For example. You can’t have a working ARC for two years, then it expires, you leave Taiwan for 2 months, you come back on a 2 month visitor visa, then process a working ARC again, etc.

You must maintain a resident ARC, either an employment based ARC or a JFRV ARC (marriage based), for 5 continuous years and reside in Taiwan for at least a minimum of 183 days per year for each of those 5 years that you maintain ARC residency status.

Disclaimer - Unless the laws have been changed since July 3, 2009.

[quote=“Northcoast Surfer”]I just got off the phone with the immigration department in Banqiao and here’s the answer they gave on July 3, 2009 at 16:00. Here’s the phone number in case anyone else wants to call and ask. 8964-7960 ext. 202.

1. The basic time qualification for people who have a Taiwanese spouse to apply for the APRC is FIVE YEARS of marriage.

2. The basic time qualification for people who have an employment based ARC to apply for the APRC is FIVE YEARS. It used to be seven years, but the law was amended and the new five year requirement took effect August 1, 2008.[/quote]

[quote=“Chris”]
Also, for the five-year residency requirement: is that five calendar years? Or five years from my first time of entry (provided no absences of over 6 months blah blah blah)? I came in September 2004.[/quote]
No Chris, it is not a calendar year. It starts from when your 1st ARC/work permit was issued. If you go to your NIA office with your ARC, they will be able to tell you immediately on which date you will qualify. :slight_smile: Good luck, it is a lot easier than it seems. Just plan well.

[quote=“A-ha”][quote=“Chris”]
Also, for the five-year residency requirement: is that five calendar years? Or five years from my first time of entry (provided no absences of over 6 months blah blah blah)? I came in September 2004.[/quote]
No Chris, it is not a calendar year. It starts from when your 1st ARC/work permit was issued. If you go to your NIA office with your ARC, they will be able to tell you immediately on which date you will qualify. :slight_smile: Good luck, it is a lot easier than it seems. Just plan well.[/quote] :blush: Duh!!! I feel so stupid for my earlier response! A-ha, thanks for answering Chris’ question correctly! I must have been really tired last night when I made my postings.

[quote=“A-ha”][quote=“Chris”]
No Chris, it is not a calendar year. It starts from when your 1st ARC/work permit was issued. If you go to your NIA office with your ARC, they will be able to tell you immediately on which date you will qualify. :slight_smile: Good luck, it is a lot easier than it seems. Just plan well.[/quote]

If I want to ask questions do I just go to the NIA office and ask? Should I make an appointment?

The term “calendar year” refers to a full Jan 1 - Dec. 31 cycle, regardless of date of entry.

The difference is as follows (my date of entry being Sep. 15, 2004):

Years from date of entry:
My five years are completed Sep. 14, 2009.

Calendar years:
My five years are completed Dec. 31, 2009. (i.e. the five calendar years of 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008 and 2009).

Anyway, it looks like my question has been answered.

I’m going to be in the US this spring: I should time it so I can receive the FBI documents at my folks’ place, then translate it myself, and go in person to the San Francisco TECO and get it processed there. Give me an excuse to visit Chinatown!

[quote=“Mucha Man”]If I want to ask questions do I just go to the NIA office and ask? Should I make an appointment?[/quote]I always give them a call first. Saves a lot of hassle. The phone number and the extension 8964-7960 ext. 202 goes directly to the person who is in charge of processing APRCs in the Panchiao office. When someone answers, just tell them that you are interested in applying for the APRC, but you have a couple questions first. If you are polite, they are very polite and helpful. I call them often to find out about changes in laws and policies as it pertains to applying for the APRC and they’ve never been anything but helpful. :bow:

[quote=“Chris”]The term “calendar year” refers to a full Jan 1 - Dec. 31 cycle, regardless of date of entry.

Calendar years:
My five years are completed Dec. 31, 2009. (i.e. the five calendar years of 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008 and 2009).[/quote]Thanks. However, there is one thing to note. It’s 5 years of continuous residency from the date you acquired either an employment based ARC or the date you acquired a JFRV based ARC. Not date of entry into Taiwan. You know that right?

So, if your working ARC or JFRV ARC has the date September 15, 2004 stamped on it, then you are correct that your first eligibility would be five years later as long as you resided in Taiwan for at least 183 days for all of the five years in question, and that you can show enough annual income or overall assets, etc. (on or about September 15, 2009)

Here’s my story for example.

1. I arrived in Taiwan on August 5, 2000.

2. I applied for employment on August 30, 2000 and submitted my paperwork for an employment based ARC. I began working illegally on September 1, 2000 and continued to do so until my employment based ARC arrived.

3. Beginning October 10, 2000 (the date on my employment based ARC) I was working legally. My residency for APRC began on October 10, 2000 (the date of my ARC) and not on my date of entry of August 5, 2000.

4. In April 2001, I married a Taiwanese and changed my employment based ARC to a marriage ARC (JFRV) without a break in residency.

5. On about October 10, 2005, I applied for the APRC for the first time. That’s 5 years of total residency, and I met all other requirements and I should have been approved. It was denied. Reason given was that I had a change in status from employment based ARC for one year to marriage ARC (JFRV) for only 4 years. They refused to add the employment based ARC to the JFRV ARC to give me the total 5 years. I appealed as high as I could go and it was still denied. This was the era of the FAP and not the current National Immigration Agency, so perhaps you’ll be treated differently if your case is similar to mine. However, I’ve heard similar cases to mine being denied by them as well.

6. I couldn’t apply for the APRC in April 2006 although I finally had 5 years of continuos residency under the same visa status. Why? Because I had to wait for the official tax forms for 2005 and taxes hadn’t even been filed yet. So, I waited until summer 2006 to apply and this time it passed without a hitch. Of course I had to acquire all the necessary police background checks, translations, endorsements, etc, all over again…but I was quite good at it by this time.

So. It’s not date of entry into Taiwan, Republic of China that is important. It’s the date printed right on the front of your ARC and the only ARCs that count are JFRV marriage or employment. Student ARCs are not counted. Hope this helps.

Ah, yes: I got my JFRV very soon after arriving here. It was issued Oct. 26, 2004.

Ah, yes: I got my JFRV very soon after arriving here. It was issued Oct. 26, 2004.[/quote]So…you’re golden! Nice! :bravo:

[quote=“Northcoast Surfer”][quote=“A-ha”][quote=“Chris”]
No Chris, it is not a calendar year. It starts from when your 1st ARC/work permit was issued. If you go to your NIA office with your ARC, they will be able to tell you immediately on which date you will qualify. :slight_smile: Good luck, it is a lot easier than it seems. Just plan well.[/quote] :blush: Duh!!! I feel so stupid for my earlier response! A-ha, thanks for answering Chris’ question correctly! I must have been really tired last night when I made my postings.[/quote]
:slight_smile: No worries mate!

It would probably be best to phone them 1st if you are in the city. At the NIA in the Armpit (Taoyuan) you can just arrive and draw a number. Even better, if you have an APRC related question, they’ll wave you right through to the person dealing with APRC’s. Just one of the benefits of living in the Stix… :wink:

I apologize in advance if this has been answered, it just gets tiring searching through threads…I’ve had my arc almost 5 years continuous and for the same company staright through…however, there was one year that my school made some mistakes resulting in me overstaying 3-4 days…I had to fly to HK cause of this…will this cause problems for me or can i talk my way through it since everything else is rock solid?

Again, best thing is to take your ARC and passport down to the local NIA office and ask them to check. Reading what was said at today’s meeting in Taipei with the officials from the NIA, my guess would be, if there was a visa run you clock would’ve been reset to zero. But don’t take my word for it. Good luck!

Seems you are right…I called them this morning…even though 5 years at the same company, at the same residential address, i overtsayed 3 days one year and that reset my clock to zero…wow, i’ve found other things in taiwan more flexible but they seem quite strict on this…any ideas other than waiting it out?

No. This rule is strictly enforced. Why? Who knows…

[quote=“Northcoast Surfer”][quote=“Chris”]The term “calendar year” refers to a full Jan 1 - Dec. 31 cycle, regardless of date of entry.

Calendar years:
My five years are completed Dec. 31, 2009. (i.e. the five calendar years of 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008 and 2009).[/quote]Thanks. However, there is one thing to note. It’s 5 years of continuous residency from the date you acquired either an employment based ARC or the date you acquired a JFRV based ARC. Not date of entry into Taiwan. You know that right?

So, if your working ARC or JFRV ARC has the date September 15, 2004 stamped on it, then you are correct that your first eligibility would be five years later as long as you resided in Taiwan for at least 183 days for all of the five years in question, and that you can show enough annual income or overall assets, etc. (on or about September 15, 2009)

Here’s my story for example.

1. I arrived in Taiwan on August 5, 2000.

2. I applied for employment on August 30, 2000 and submitted my paperwork for an employment based ARC. I began working illegally on September 1, 2000 and continued to do so until my employment based ARC arrived.

3. Beginning October 10, 2000 (the date on my employment based ARC) I was working legally. My residency for APRC began on October 10, 2000 (the date of my ARC) and not on my date of entry of August 5, 2000.

4. In April 2001, I married a Taiwanese and changed my employment based ARC to a marriage ARC (JFRV) without a break in residency.

5. On about October 10, 2005, I applied for the APRC for the first time. That’s 5 years of total residency, and I met all other requirements and I should have been approved. It was denied. Reason given was that I had a change in status from employment based ARC for one year to marriage ARC (JFRV) for only 4 years. They refused to add the employment based ARC to the JFRV ARC to give me the total 5 years. I appealed as high as I could go and it was still denied. This was the era of the FAP and not the current National Immigration Agency, so perhaps you’ll be treated differently if your case is similar to mine. However, I’ve heard similar cases to mine being denied by them as well.

6. I couldn’t apply for the APRC in April 2006 although I finally had 5 years of continuos residency under the same visa status. Why? Because I had to wait for the official tax forms for 2005 and taxes hadn’t even been filed yet. So, I waited until summer 2006 to apply and this time it passed without a hitch. Of course I had to acquire all the necessary police background checks, translations, endorsements, etc, all over again…but I was quite good at it by this time.

So. It’s not date of entry into Taiwan, Republic of China that is important. It’s the date printed right on the front of your ARC and the only ARCs that count are JFRV marriage or employment. Student ARCs are not counted. Hope this helps.[/quote]

I got a new ARC and the issue date there is 2009 (even I got my first one 2005) does it mean that I need to wait another 5 years from now on?

Hopefully not, but they do have a hidden clause you are supposed to present all the old ARCs…

[quote=“roback33”]I got a new ARC and the issue date there is 2009 (even I got my first one 2005) does it mean that I need to wait another 5 years from now on?[/quote]No. Not unless your status had to be renewed in 2009. I haven’t seen any of the new ARCs. However, the new APRCs have two dates on them. One is the issue date for the card and the other is the approval date for the APRC status. So, on my new IC APRC card it says Date of approval 2006/07/20 (the day my APRC status was approved) and Date of issue 2009/06/19 (the date this new APRC card was given to me). Every time I have to get a new APRC card due to being lost, stolen, passport renewal, I will get a new Date of issue, but my Date of approval won’t change.

Check your ARC and see if there are two dates like my APRC. Otherwise, give a call to the National Immigration Agency and have them run your ID number and find out the exact date your current ARC status started.

My head hurts…can’t believe that 3 day overstay has made me uneligible for my aprc…i think i would have left a while ago had i known this…i spend about an hour a day trying to find solutions and so far these are my options…

1.wait it out 3 more years
2.go home

everything truly criminal can be handled with a red envelope but something as minor as this can screw you over for years…

anyone with any real knowledge know how far up one would have to go attempt a pardon on the overstay?..I think it’s actually out of the hands of the aprc issuer, from what I understand they physically cannot process the application on their computers since the overstay comes up as a red flag and cannot be bypassed…

???