APRC Application Procedures (Official Checklist)

Hey Guys,

So I got my APRC and OWP, thanks to the great info in this forum. I work for GVO and they still want me to sign a contract that says I can’t take long vacations and if I want to quit I have to give them two months notice or they’ll fine me $20,000. I don’t need to sign that, right? I thought with OWP, we don’t have to sign any contracts. Sorry if someone already mentioned about this, the thread is really long.

~Taiwerica

A work (labor) contract is between you and your employer, has nothing to do with a work permit.

Okay thanks. By the way, is that legal for a company to fine someone that much for not giving 2 months notice for leaving?

Probably. I was working as a full-time lecturer at a national university where my contract stated “If you are required to work extra hours, you are entitled to extra pay.” I couldn’t get them to put on the contract how much the extra pay was. Then later on after working there for two years I was told that my extra pay was too much and they were taking money back that they had given me the last year. I was not the only teacher that was told that the money needed to be returned. I had the labor bureau come in and have a look at the situation but of course they could only reinforce my contract. When they saw my contract they said it was a terribly written in both Chinese and English. Then they said to me, "They could pay you $1NT and that would be considered extra pay. So even with them asking you to give money back there is nothing we can do about it unless the contract listed a certain amount. "

You would think that a company where you worked at for 2 years couldn’t suddenly say “Oh we paid you too much for your overtime, so you need to return the money.” But it happened to me. I think they can do almost anything they want as long as it’s in a contract.

I kinda majorly screwed up the amount of time it takes to get the Criminal Background Check from the FBI. I have until July 14th to finish my application for the APRC due to my former employer cancelling my ARC almost two years ago and not having the money to get it until recently. I have been freaking out, but in the process discovered something that would be of much use to anyone in a similar situation, even if it might be too late for me…

The FBI has channelers that can expedite your CBC much faster than going directly through the FBI (which does not do rush orders). The one I am going through is the NBCI or National Background Check, Inc. which is based in Ohio. The cost is $45, which includes the $18 fee the FBI requires for processing. I can update with how much faster it will be when I get my results.

Finally got it. For the Canadians: I got my fingerprints taken at the Banciao immigration office on Oct.15th and had my official card in hand yesterday (April 30th). So, count on 6 and a half months. Anyway, 6.5 months is relatively short compared to the 7 years I’ve been anticipating this day.

Bobby,

Congratulations! You finally won. :bravo:

Don’t forget your Open-Work Permit.

Today I finally got all my papers in and applied for APRC, got a bit held up with work and other issues but other than that it was rather smooth.

I will try to write the whole bit down a bit later with all the tweaks and tricks and costs but just some short updates:

• Police background check from home country:

I got that one done from my representative office (Austria) here in Taiwan, they gave me a tri-lingual document which i took to the BOCA.
Now they made a bit trouble with that one, argued about it and it took a bit to sort it out. First they said I need to get the document translated and then notarized. When I stated that it is already in three languages and the BOCA stated it’s authentic they said they can’t use it because they need a Chinese only document and I need to get it translated.
I pointed out that everything on there is already in Chinese too, so nobody needs to translate it as it is already there and it’s not translating if you write down something in Chinese from Chinese. They kind of got that point but said I still need to notarize it (they tried to be clever here), so if I find someone who notarizes me the document like that then they will accept it.

So I asked if they have a list of Notars and they gave me that list and pointed out two closer by in Banqiao. I headed off to Hansheng East Rd. No. 13 1F, right next to the big parking lot at Banqiao station. I walked in, told my story and they asked me to wait, took about 15 min or so.
The secretary typed down the Chinese on the document, they put on the stamp, gave me 3 copies and asked 750 NTD. Done…

Got straight back to Immigration and gave in document. They had done the check with the days I stayed in country the last 5 years (all well about 300 days) and said all is good and I will get a letter in about a month to pick up the APRC, just give them a call the day before so they can prepare.

Oh, I had prepared all the copies of my passports pages and with all my travel that was a lot but then I had to sign every single page, same with the bank book pages. That was a bit time consuming which I could have done back home.

Well that’s it for now… back to waiting…

:slight_smile:

[quote=“dicernthetruth”]Hi Guys,

I have recently approved “APRC- Plum blossom card” (iff.immigration.gov.tw/ct.asp?xI … 32316&mp=2) under the section of senior professional. This card needs neither 5 years stay in Taiwan nor 183 days in a year to keep the APRC status.

My question is;

Can my spouse get OWP as like me since she is my dependent?

Thank you.[/quote]

No.

[quote=“Northcoast Surfer”][quote=“dicernthetruth”]Hi Guys,

I am recently approved “APRC- Plum blossom card” (iff.immigration.gov.tw/ct.asp?xI … 32316&mp=2) under the section of senior professional. This card needs neither 5 years stay in Taiwan nor 183 days in a year to keep the APRC status.

My question is;

Thank you.[/quote]

No.[/quote]

Thank you for your prompt reply. You said NO, however, she can work through legal work permit, right?

[url=http://tw.forumosa.com/t/aprc-application-procedures-official-checklist/52164/771 APRC Application Procedures (Official Checklist)[/url]

[quote=“dicernthetruth”][quote=“Northcoast Surfer”][quote=“dicernthetruth”]Hi Guys,

I am recently approved “APRC- Plum blossom card” (iff.immigration.gov.tw/ct.asp?xI … 32316&mp=2) under the section of senior professional. This card needs neither 5 years stay in Taiwan nor 183 days in a year to keep the APRC status.

My question is;

Thank you.[/quote]
No.[/quote]
Thank you for your prompt reply. You said NO, however, she can work through legal work permit, right?[/quote]

Yep. She can have you sponsor her for a dependent ARC. This gives her the right to live in Taiwan with you as long as your APRC remains valid. However, it doesn’t give her any work rights. If she wishes to work, she will need to find a job that she’s qualified for, a company that can legally hire a foreigner, and then they will sponsor her for a work-permit. Then, she resides in Taiwan based on your status, but she is able to work based on her work-permit from whatever company sponsors her work-permit. She will only be allowed to work for the company that sponsors the work-permit AND only at the specific location for which the work-permit is issued. Example. She gets a bushiban chain to sponsor her for a work-permit as an English teacher. She can only work for that particular bushiban and only at the branch specified on the work-permit. If she’s been sponsored to work at school #2 for example, she can’t legally substitute or lend a hand for schools #3, #5, #7 without having a separate work-permit for each. No kindergartens, no private lessons, no cooking classes, no roller-blading lessons, nothing that isn’t specified on the work-permit. Ok?

[quote=“Northcoast Surfer”][url=http://tw.forumosa.com/t/aprc-application-procedures-official-checklist/52164/771 APRC Application Procedures (Official Checklist)[/url]

[quote=“dicernthetruth”][quote=“Northcoast Surfer”][quote=“dicernthetruth”]Hi Guys,

My question is;

Thank you.[/quote]
No.[/quote]

Thank you for your prompt reply. You said NO, however, she can work through legal work permit, right?[/quote]

Yep. She can have you sponsor her for a dependent ARC. This gives her the right to live in Taiwan with you as long as your APRC remains valid. However, it doesn’t give her any work rights. If she wishes to work, she will need to find a job that she’s qualified for, a company that can legally hire a foreigner, and then they will sponsor her for a work-permit. Then, she resides in Taiwan based on your status, but she is able to work based on her work-permit from whatever company sponsors her work-permit. She will only be allowed to work for the company that sponsors the work-permit AND only at the specific location for which the work-permit is issued. Example. She gets a buxiban chain to sponsor her for a work-permit as an English teacher. She can only work for that particular buxiban and only at the branch specified on the work-permit. If she’s been sponsored to work at school #2 for example, she can’t legally substitute or lend a hand for schools #3, #5, #7 without having a separate work-permit for each. No kindergartens, no private lessons, no cooking classes, no roller-blading lessons, nothing that isn’t specified on the work-permit. Ok?[/quote]

Thank you very much. I am pretty clear now.
Is there any special benefits that APRC can get apart from OWP? I was tried to buy a house when I hold ARC and banks did not want to give me a loan more than 60%, hence, I dropped my plan. Now I am an APRC holder, does this status change their mind to give me 85% loan as they give for local? I understand that loan depends on my income and my income level is fair enough ( more than 1Million NT$, Stable job) but in the past they refused to give me 85% loan just because I was here under ARC (technically foreigner). I believe APRC never let them think that we are local but I expect somewhat positive feeling toward our APRC. Is it possible?

It would be great if you could share any other benefits that APRC can get.

[quote=“dicernthetruth”]Thank you very much. I am pretty clear now.
Is there any special benefits that APRC can get apart from OWP? I was tried to buy a house when I hold ARC and banks did not want to give me a loan more than 60%, hence, I dropped my plan. Now I am an APRC holder, does this status change their mind to give me 85% loan as they give for local? I understand that loan depends on my income and my income level is fair enough ( more than 1Million NT$, Stable job) but in the past they refused to give me 85% loan just because I was here under ARC (technically foreigner). I believe APRC never let them think that we are local but I expect somewhat positive feeling toward our APRC. Is it possible?[/quote]
My opinion and personal experience:

You will always be considered a worthless foreigner whether you have an employment based ARC, JFRV ARC, or even an APRC. The only way you can be considered local and be treated with equal rights is if you attain citizenship. Then again, the Taiwanese will call you “a foreigner with citizenship”!

Not a problem. Glad to help. Click on the link below and read every single page of the thread and all your questions will be answered. I promise! :bow:

[quote=“Northcoast Surfer”][quote=“dicernthetruth”]Thank you very much. I am pretty clear now.
Is there any special benefits that APRC can get apart from OWP? I was tried to buy a house when I hold ARC and banks did not want to give me a loan more than 60%, hence, I dropped my plan. Now I am an APRC holder, does this status change their mind to give me 85% loan as they give for local? I understand that loan depends on my income and my income level is fair enough ( more than 1Million NT$, Stable job) but in the past they refused to give me 85% loan just because I was here under ARC (technically foreigner). I believe APRC never let them think that we are local but I expect somewhat positive feeling toward our APRC. Is it possible?[/quote]
My opinion and personal experience:

Not a problem. Glad to help. Click on the link below and read every single page of the thread and all your questions will be answered. I promise! :bow:

[/quote]

haha. You may be right. Let’ s see. Anyhow, thanks buddy. Does anyone have an “APRC Plum Blossom Card (not regular APRC)” ?please share your experiences that you encountered in Taiwan.

There is no difference between what you call a regular APRC and the fancy “Plum Blossom” except in the requirements to apply for it and be approved. Other than that, you’re no different than any other run of the mill APRC holder. Your experience with the APRC will be no different than any other person with an APRC, like me.

Also, you’re the first person I’ve ever heard of that actually got the APRC through the Plum Blossom program. I can promise you that there will be many many people who will PM you and ask you how you qualified and what you needed to do in order to be approved for the APRC through the Plum Blossom Program. Standby to answer a lot of questions as you are now considered the duty expert in the procedures for applying for and obtaining the APRC in this manner. Congratulations! :bravo:

There is no difference between what you call a regular APRC and the fancy “Plum Blossom” except in the requirements to apply for it and be approved. Other than that, you’re no different than any other run of the mill APRC holder. Your experience with the APRC will be no different than any other person with an APRC, like me.

Also, you’re the first person I’ve ever heard of that actually got the APRC through the Plum Blossom program. I can promise you that there will be many many people who will PM you and ask you how you qualified and what you needed to do in order to be approved for the APRC through the Plum Blossom Program. Standby to answer a lot of questions as you are now considered the duty expert in the procedures for applying for and obtaining the APRC in this manner. Congratulations! :bravo:[/quote]

Thanks buddy. The procedure to apply APRC Plum blossom card is very simple.

First thing you need to know is, application procedure and documents needed to apply APRC PLUM BLOSSOM CARD IS different from APRC. Technically speaking, you need nothing but application form, educational documents and work experience certificates. I consumed 10 minutes to apply APRC PBC.

Step 1:

Just fill out the application form (same as APRC) and hand over to local immigration office with your documents (Academic, work experience certificates). Your field of study should be in designated areas as mentioned in APRC plum blossom card section, for instance, ICT ( Information and Communication Technologies) field with proven academic excellence ( International award, book, etc.,)

Step 2:

Your case officer will contact you to introduce himself.

Step 3:

Wait for a call from your case officer. Mine took 6 months.

To apply this APRC you do not need job offer in Taiwan.

[quote=“dicernthetruth”]The procedure to apply APRC Plum blossom card is very simple.

First thing you need to know is, application procedure and documents needed to apply APRC PLUM BLOSSOM CARD IS different from APRC. Technically speaking, you need nothing but application form, educational documents and work experience certificates. I consumed 10 minutes to apply APRC PBC.

Step 1:

Just fill out the application form (same as APRC) and hand over to local immigration office with your documents (Academic, work experience certificates). Your field of study should be in designated areas as mentioned in APRC plum blossom card section, for instance, ICT ( Information and Communication Technologies) field with proven academic excellence ( International award, book, etc.,)

Step 2: Your case officer will contact you to introduce himself.

Step 3: Wait for a call from your case officer. Mine took 6 months.

To apply this APRC you do not need job offer in Taiwan.[/quote]

1. Are there any residency requirements to apply for the APRC through the Plum Blossom program? Were you previously living and working in Taiwan before you applied? If you had been living and working in Taiwan before you applied, how long had that been?

2. Were there any financial requirements or was it only just educational and work experience?

[quote=“Northcoast Surfer”][quote=“dicernthetruth”]The procedure to apply APRC Plum blossom card is very simple.

Step 1:

1. Are there any residency requirements to apply for the APRC through the Plum Blossom program? Were you previously living and working in Taiwan before you applied? If you had been living and working in Taiwan before you applied, how long had that been?

[color=#4000FF]I have studied in Taiwan (2004-2009) and no previous work experience in Taiwan but currently I am working(since 2011 Oct) in Taiwan. Technically speaking, no need to have any residence permit but preferable. Plz see here immigration.gov.tw/ct.asp?xI … 32316&mp=2[/color]

1. Were there any financial requirements or was it only just educational and work experience?

[color=#4000FF]No need to show your money( if you apply through investment immigrant plan then you may need) but your brain. You have to show your achievements in the field as mentioned in APRC PBC section. Educational and work experience documents are basic requirements. I forgot to tell you that you need Health certificate too[/color]
[/quote]

It might be helpful for you;

2.Prospective applicants:
b Senior professionals needed in Taiwan with one of the following qualifications:

[u]a.	Having professional skills in emerging industries, key technologies, key components or products.[/u]

[u]b.	Having special and rare talents for the technical research and development of a technical institution, with remarkable achievement in nano and micro electro-mechanical systems, optoelectronics, information and communications technology, automation system integration, applied materials technology, high precision sensing technology, biotechnology, resource development or energy conservation technology and advance fundamental research that are badly needed in Taiwan and cannot be easily developed in a short time.[/u]

[u]c.	Having exclusive and rare talents for management or remarkable achievement in highway, high-speed rail, subway system,telecommunications, aviation, shipping, deep-water construction,meteorology, seismology, etc, that are badly needed in Taiwan and cannot be easily developed in a short time.[/u]

[u]d.	Having special capability in science, research, industry and commerce that offer effective and substantial benefits to Taiwan’s economy, industry and education or welfare and are needed by employers in Taiwan.[/u]

[u]e.	Being the current or former adjunct professor, professor, associate professor, assistant professor of domestic or foreign universities, or the researcher, associate researcher or assistant researcher of a research institution, or having a doctoral degree or having received an international academic award, or having written a specialized book or having engaged in research at a research institution or having conducted technical research and development at a technical institution or having been involved in management for over four years.[/u]

f.	Having achieved exceptional accomplishments and won international recognition for research and development that can upgrade Taiwan’s industry.

g.	[color=#FF0000]Having won a place among the top three in an event of the Olympic Game or having won the first place in the Asian Game, or having ever coached a national sports team whose members have ever won a place among the top five in an event of the Olympic Game or among the top 3 in the Asian Game, boosting the capability of Taiwan’s athletes.[/color]

h.	Having won the[u][color=#FF0080] first place of an internationally recognized contest, or appraisal, in specialized area such as cultural art, technology, sport, or industry.[/b]
[/color][/u]
  1. Required documents:
    (3) Senior professionals and investment immigrants applying for an Alien Permanent Resident Card (Plum Blossom Card) shall furnish the following documents:
    a. An application form:
    (a) Please obtain the application form from the local municipal, county (city) NIA service center, or by downloading the form from the NIA website (immigration.gov.tw) and printing it in A4 size.
    (b) Please attach a color photo to the application form. (Same format as used on the ID Card)
    b. The original and photocopy of the passport. (The original will be returned after verification.)
    c. The Health Examination Certificate issued within the past three months by a hospital in Taiwan: the health examination form used by major hospitals shall be the Mandatory Examination Items for Health Examination Certificate (Form B) promulgated by the National Health Agency of the Executive Yuan.
    d. Fee: NT$10,000.00, shall be paid upon notification of approval.

[b]Attention:

Any application for the Alien Permanent Resident Card (Plum Blossom Card) under the terms of being a senior professional needed in Taiwan is not subject to the requirement regarding the period of residency. Instead, prior to the meeting held by the Exit, Entry, and Immigration Case Evaluation Committee, the applicant shall request the competent authority in charge of related business to provide review comments that will be compiled and forwarded to the review committee. If the review finds that the applicant’s qualifications are satisfactory, the Alien Permanent Resident Card (Plum Blossom Card) may be granted.[/b]

[quote=“dicernthetruth”][quote=“Northcoast Surfer”][quote=“dicernthetruth”]The procedure to apply APRC Plum blossom card is very simple.

Step 1:

[color=#4000FF]I have studied in Taiwan (2004-2009) and no previous work experience in Taiwan but currently I am working(since 2011 Oct) in Taiwan. Technically speaking, no need to have any residence permit but preferable. Plz see here immigration.gov.tw/ct.asp?xI … 32316&mp=2[/color]

1. Were there any financial requirements or was it only just educational and work experience?

[color=#4000FF]No need to show your money( if you apply through investment immigrant plan then you may need) but your brain. You have to show your achievements in the field as mentioned in APRC PBC section. Educational and work experience documents are basic requirements. I forgot to tell you that you need Health certificate too[/color]
[/quote]

It might be helpful for you;

2.Prospective applicants:
b Senior professionals needed in Taiwan with one of the following qualifications:

[u]a.	Having professional skills in emerging industries, key technologies, key components or products.[/u]

[u]b.	Having special and rare talents for the technical research and development of a technical institution, with remarkable achievement in nano and micro electro-mechanical systems, optoelectronics, information and communications technology, automation system integration, applied materials technology, high precision sensing technology, biotechnology, resource development or energy conservation technology and advance fundamental research that are badly needed in Taiwan and cannot be easily developed in a short time.[/u]

[u]c.	Having exclusive and rare talents for management or remarkable achievement in highway, high-speed rail, subway system,telecommunications, aviation, shipping, deep-water construction,meteorology, seismology, etc, that are badly needed in Taiwan and cannot be easily developed in a short time.[/u]

[u]d.	Having special capability in science, research, industry and commerce that offer effective and substantial benefits to Taiwan’s economy, industry and education or welfare and are needed by employers in Taiwan.[/u]

[u]e.	Being the current or former adjunct professor, professor, associate professor, assistant professor of domestic or foreign universities, or the researcher, associate researcher or assistant researcher of a research institution, or having a doctoral degree or having received an international academic award, or having written a specialized book or having engaged in research at a research institution or having conducted technical research and development at a technical institution or having been involved in management for over four years.[/u]

f.	Having achieved exceptional accomplishments and won international recognition for research and development that can upgrade Taiwan’s industry.

g.	[color=#FF0000]Having won a place among the top three in an event of the Olympic Game or having won the first place in the Asian Game, or having ever coached a national sports team whose members have ever won a place among the top five in an event of the Olympic Game or among the top 3 in the Asian Game, boosting the capability of Taiwan’s athletes.[/color]

h.	Having won the[u][color=#FF0080] first place of an internationally recognized contest, or appraisal, in specialized area such as cultural art, technology, sport, or industry.[/b]
[/color][/u]
  1. Required documents:
    (3) Senior professionals and investment immigrants applying for an Alien Permanent Resident Card (Plum Blossom Card) shall furnish the following documents:
    a. An application form:
    (a) Please obtain the application form from the local municipal, county (city) NIA service center, or by downloading the form from the NIA website (immigration.gov.tw) and printing it in A4 size.
    (b) Please attach a color photo to the application form. (Same format as used on the ID Card)
    b. The original and photocopy of the passport. (The original will be returned after verification.)
    c. The Health Examination Certificate issued within the past three months by a hospital in Taiwan: the health examination form used by major hospitals shall be the Mandatory Examination Items for Health Examination Certificate (Form B) promulgated by the National Health Agency of the Executive Yuan.
    d. Fee: NT$10,000.00, shall be paid upon notification of approval.

[b]Attention:

Any application for the Alien Permanent Resident Card (Plum Blossom Card) under the terms of being a senior professional needed in Taiwan is not subject to the requirement regarding the period of residency. Instead, prior to the meeting held by the Exit, Entry, and Immigration Case Evaluation Committee, the applicant shall request the competent authority in charge of related business to provide review comments that will be compiled and forwarded to the review committee. If the review finds that the applicant’s qualifications are satisfactory, the Alien Permanent Resident Card (Plum Blossom Card) may be granted.[/b][/quote]

Thank you for the information. A very nice contribution to the forum. And once more, congratulations on your APRC. :bow:
Don’t forget to apply for your Open-Work Permit.