APRC Application Procedures (Official Checklist)

There’s nothing to worry about. Either you are qualified or you are not.

There is no general about it. Five years of continued residency without a break in status is 100% required to qualify for an APRC.

Were you on a student visa based ARC while you were studying? How long have you been working for a Taiwanese company? You now have an employment based ARC based on a work-permit which your company sponsored you for, right?

You are only qualified if the 5 years you have resided in Taiwan was based on an employment ARC or a JFRV ARC. [color=#FF0000] Student ARC time doesn’t count toward the APRC.[/color]

[quote=“vanhoivanbinh”]Hi Folks
I am worry about my situation since I have read the qualification for applying to APRC
They generally need a 5 year ARC without interruption.
The problem is, I have studied here for 4 years and currently I am working for Taiwanese company
So that means, did I qualify for next year application (since my staying time here has passed 5 years)
Thanks for your reply!!![/quote]

So many people ask, “am I qualified to apply for an APRC?” I hear this all the time. The easiest and most efficient way to answer this question is to walk into your nearest NIA and ask. You usually don’t even have to wait in a line. Every NIA will have an APRC agent, usually in the back and all you do is ask. They will look up your information on the computer and you will have your answer in minutes.

I am now in the process of applying for my Permanent Residence, also called APRC (Alien Permanent Resident Certificate). I just got my Clean Criminal Record document from the FBI. (I am an American citizen.) And I will soon translate the FBI document to Chinese and send it to the Taiwanese de-facto embassy in Washington, DC.

The next step is to get a medical checkup. I live in a small town in rural Miaoli County, so I’m afraid that if I just walk into a hospital near here and say “I need to get a medical checkup to apply for an APRC,” they won’t know what I’m talking about. But if I know in advance what diseases I need to be tested for, I can make sure that I get an appropriate checkup.

So my question is: To apply for an APRC, what diseases do I need to be tested for?

Yeah…don’t do this. The TECRO in DC will no longer authenticate Chinese translations of the FBI background check unless you appear in person. Therefore, only send the original FBI background check to the TECRO in order to be authenticated. Then, you need to have the background check translated and authenticated here in Taiwan at the district court. Just read [color=#FF0000]this entire APRC thread from page 1 all the way to the end [/color]and you’ll find all the information you need. :bow:

[quote=“Mark Nagel”]The next step is to get a medical checkup. I live in a small town in rural Miaoli County, so I’m afraid that if I just walk into a hospital near here and say “I need to get a medical checkup to apply for an APRC,” they won’t know what I’m talking about. But if I know in advance what diseases I need to be tested for, I can make sure that I get an appropriate checkup.[/quote]The medical check for the APRC and all the necessary information can be found [color=#FF0000]within this entire thread. Read it all! Every page![/color]. There are examples of the exact medical check paperwork, too. :bow:

[color=#FF0000]Read this entire APRC thread. Every page.[/color]

Yeah…don’t do this. The TECRO in DC will no longer authenticate Chinese translations of the FBI background check unless you appear in person. Therefore, only send the original FBI background check to the TECRO in order to be authenticated. Then, you need to have the background check translated and authenticated here in Taiwan at the district court. Just read the [color=#FF0000]beginning of this topic[/color] and you’ll find all the information you need. :bow:[/quote]

I think I should point out that the new procedures for translating and authenticating the FBI background check in Taiwan are not included in the most recent step-by-step guide (rk1951’s dated June 9, 2011). That first-page guide states that the applicant translated the FBI background check and then sent it and a $30 fee to the TECRO in Washington DC for the Chinese document to be authenticated there.

Since folks with questions are being directed back to the beginning of this thread, I think it would be a good idea to include this updated information on the first page to complement rk1951’s great step-by-step guide.

Just a thought. If I’m missing something or don’t have my facts straight, please excuse this post.

About the Medical Checkup: I read the beginning of this thread, but all it says is that I need to get a chest X-ray and a blood test. It doesn’t say which diseases I needed to get tested for. I still need to know what diseases I need to get tested for because I don’t want to waste money getting tested for the wrong diseases. I have already asked the people at a hospital here in Miaoli, but they don’t know the answer.

About the Chinese translation of the FBI Criminal Record Clearance: Thanks for telling me that the TECO office in Washington, DC no longer accepts non-official translations. This is what it says at the beginning of this thread:

[quote=“Northcoast Surfer”]Please include all these documents listed below into a mailing envelope to TECRO.

1. Signed cover letter to TECRO DC requesting authentication plus one copy.
  2. TECRO’S application form for authentication plus one copy.
  3. The original FBI background check plus one copy.
  4. The Chinese translation of my FBI background check plus one copy [/b]
  5. Two copies of my US passport information page.
  6. Two copies of my ARC.
  7. A postal money order made out to TECRO (Taipei Economic and Cultural Representative Office) for the amount of $75.00 US. This also includes the express shipping back to me in Taiwan.
  8. An Express letter envelope mailed out to my residence in Taiwan. Please use UPS, FED-EX or DHL so I can track it.
  9. You will have a total of 14 documents with the copies included, plus a postal money order for $75, and a self addressed express envelope to my address back in Taiwan all included in the package to TECRO Washington DC.[/quote]
    Is everything else still accurate?

To save money, I plan to tell the TECO office to send my authenticated FBI Criminal Clearance to my parents’ address in the States and then ask my parents to forward it to me in Taiwan. How much money do I need to send the TECO office to send the authentication to my parents by regular mail? (It doesn’t need to be sent by Express Mail, UPS, FedEx, or DHL.) Do they accept personal checks?

Mark

IIRC, you can’t go to just any hospital for the check-up. The government will accept results from only a few specific ones. (Sorry, I don’t know where the list is. But you should be able to find it somewhere on this site.) Since the people at the hospital in Miaoli aren’t familiar with the rules for this, chances are that place isn’t on the list.

The government publicatipn Taiwan Today reported that medical checks and criminal records are no longer necessary:

taiwantoday.tw/ct.asp?xItem=196805&ctNode=445

[quote]
[In the News
MOI eases curbs on foreigners, mainland Chinese

Mainland Chinese spouses of ROC citizens no longer have to be fingerprinted every time they re-enter the country. (CNA)
Publication Date:09/28/2012
Source: Taiwan Today
By Grace Kuo

The ROC Ministry of the Interior passed amendments to the Regulations Governing Visiting, Residency, and Permanent Residency of Aliens Sept. 27 in a move to enhance Taiwan’s competitiveness and attract more foreigners.

“The stipulation that white-collar workers in professional fields should leave within 15 days after their employment contract has ended has been relaxed to 90 days,” the MOI said in a news release.

“To increase incentives for foreigners to invest in Taiwan, aliens who have invested in government bonds worth NT$30 million (US$1 million) for three years will be granted permanent residency,” the ministry said.

Foreigners who have legally resided in Taiwan for five consecutive years, with each trip abroad under three months, will not have to submit health certificates or criminal records when applying for permanent residency, the MOI added.

Separately, to enhance private commercial exchanges between Taiwan and mainland China, the MOI loosened restrictions on the number of mainland Chinese businessmen that enterprises can invite to take part in local business activities.

According to the old regulation, firms established less than one year or with annual turnover under NT$10 million could invite no more than 50 mainland Chinese businessmen per year, the MOI said, noting that now these enterprises can invite up to 100 every year, while companies with annual turnover between NT$10 million and NT$50 million can invite 200.
“To make it more convenient for inbound mainland Chinese engaged in business negotiations, those who have come to Taiwan for such occasions three times or more within 12 months can apply for multiple entry and exit permits,” the ministry said.

In addition, mainland Chinese spouses of Taiwan nationals will not have to be fingerprinted to check their identities upon re-entering the nation, the MOI noted.

“Current regulations stipulate that mainland Chinese spouses applying to get together with their families in Taiwan must be fingerprinted every time they enter,” the MOI explained, noting that the amended law aims to bring more convenience. It will also apply to other mainland Chinese with special residence permits.

“But as plastic surgery has become more popular, fingerprinting will still be implemented when there is cause for doubt, as when a traveler’s appearance does not match document photos, or the visitor has a record of smuggling or identity fraud.” (THN)
Write to Grace Kuo at mlkuo@mofa.gov.tw
Top Back [/quote]

Ok…Mark…I give up…I’ll do the leg work for you…here you go… [color=#FF0000]From page 19 of this thread[/color], here is a copy of the medical check which is required for the APRC application. It is for reference only, you do not need to bring your own, the hospital will have one of these forms for you. The [color=#FF0000]Type B[/color] Health Certificate is what it’s called in English.

[color=#FF0000]
APRC Medical Check Form (specific information)
[/color]

[color=#FF0000]Page 1[/color]

[color=#FF0000]Page 2[/color]

Not everything on the first page is 100% up to date. That’s not possible to keep up with the constant changes. That’s why it’s [color=#FF0000]necessary[/color] to read the entire thread, all 85 pages because the information and procedures change all the time. Once you’ve read the entire thread, you’ll know everything. But, you apparently don’t want to do that.

Everything in the APRC thread is only as accurate as the most recent posts. You’ll find that things change every day. In fact, you might want to read the post by Mucha Man immediately before this one. See…things change…all the time. Impossible to keep up to date. Then again, you shouldn’t rely on a stupid press release as being gospel. Only the NIA Agent in charge of the APRC applications can give you the straight scoop. And then again…you’ll find that many NIA Agents don’t know their asses from a hole in the ground and that you end up knowing more about the APRC requirements and procedures than they do! :doh:

Yeah. You can do this, but I have no idea why you would want the [color=#FF0000]TECRO [/color]in Washington DC to send it to your parents and then have your parents send it to you here in Taiwan. After all, the [color=#FF0000]TECRO[/color] in DC can send it directly to you here in Taiwan. What’s the advantage to having it sent to your parents first?

This changes all the time. See the TECRO official website for their current instructions. However, their website has always been out of date, too. So, a phone call directly to them would be best.

Thanks Muzha Man! (Why does this forum automatically “correct” the spelling of M-u-c-h-a to Muzha?!)

:bravo:

:bravo: Wow

:blush:

:ohreally: Yeah, yeah, yeah. Whatever. Doesn’t impress me. Still many gray areas that haven’t been addressed clearly and most likely won’t be.

台灣 = 差不多

1. Which criminal record check is no longer required? The Taiwan criminal record check or the criminal record check from the applicant’s home country or both? Doesn’t stipulate does it? :ponder:

2. No criminal record check required for APRC (permanent residency) applicants only? How about JFRV applicants? Press release only stipulates that APRC applicants no longer require a criminal record check. So, JFRV applicants are still required to submit a criminal record check from their home countries as well as the Taiwan criminal record check, but APRC applicants aren’t? What about individuals going through the naturalization process to become citizens? Criminal record checks required or not? :ponder:

3. If during the 5 consecutive years of residency, the APRC applicant is out of Taiwan for more than three months on a single trip, then they DO have to submit a criminal record check? Which criminal record check? Taiwan or home country criminal record check or both? How many days is equal to three months? 90? What about months with 31 days? How about February with 28? How about February with 29? Is that 3 consecutive months per calendar year or just 3 consecutive months in general. For example, what if the applicant leaves Taiwan for the months of Oct, Nov, Dec of 2013 and remains outside of Taiwan for the additional month of January 2014? What then? Are those months separate because they are separate years or are they combined as one instance?

4. What about the 183 days per year for 5 years continuous residency rule for the APRC applicants? Is that still in effect? What if an APRC applicant leaves Taiwan for 90 days (3 months), then comes back for 1 day and then leaves again for another 90 days (3 months). The APRC applicant still has the required number of days (185) in that calendar year which still qualifies them for the APRC. Do they need to do a criminal record check?

5. How about this one? An APRC applicant stays in Taiwan from January 1, 2013 to July 2, 2013 (183 days). Then departs Taiwan on July 3, 2013 and remains outside of Taiwan until returning on July 1, 2014. The applicant then stays in Taiwan from July 1, 2014 until December 31, 2014. The applicant is still qualified to apply for the APRC because they were in Taiwan for at least 183 days in 2013 and also in 2014. But, they were outside of Taiwan for a year! Is the APRC applicant required to submit criminal record checks? Which ones?

Don’t EVEN get me started on the health check! :raspberry:

More questions than answers, I say. :ohreally:

I contacted Miss Kuo at Taiwan Today/MOFA and, as suspected, these new amendments “have yet to undergo administrative procedures in order to come into effect”. She directed me to the current list of requirements.

So Keep Calm and Carry On…

Dear all,
maybe it was mentioned somewhere above, but I couldn’t read 86 pages, sorry :frowning:
I need some information about applying for APRC after investing into Taiwan? I mean open own firm and invest from abroad…Is it possible? I read about special contribution - can it be something like this?
Thanks for any advice!!!

Did Miss Kuo say when they would come into effect?
Are you a divorce lawyer, I need one … Or could you point me in the direction of one?
Thanks

Okay, the Ministry of Interior’s own website reports that they have approved the draft amendments mentioned above regarding medical and criminal checks. No reason to think this won’t go into effect fairly soon. I for one am going to wait a few more months.

moi.gov.tw/chi/chi_news/news … e=&pages=0

[quote=“Mucha Man”]Okay, the Ministry of Interior’s own website reports that they have approved the draft amendments mentioned above regarding medical and criminal checks. No reason to think this won’t go into effect fairly soon. I for one am going to wait a few more months.

moi.gov.tw/chi/chi_news/news … e=&pages=0[/quote]

I’m with you. I’m eligible to apply for my APRC next June, but I’m not holding my breath that the amendments will find their way to the NIA employees. If they do, then I’ll consider it a bonus.

Last week I helped a good friend complete his translation and I also went to courthouse with him to get it notarized. When I got my APRC, I translated it and then sent it to TECRO, but you can’t do this anymore, so I wanted to let you guys know the procedure.

I just used Northcoast surfer’s translation that you can find in this post. I obviously plugged in my friends information. For translating my friend’s American address I just typed it into Google translate. Easy easy! I had a Taiwanese friend meet us at the Zhongli courthouse. He was there to be our fake translator. I was told that you need to have someone who can speak and read Chinese to prove they translated the document for you. Anyway, I didn’t have to make any kind of appointment. I walked in and there was as sign that pointed to the notary. My translator had to fill out something and then we took a number. Minutes later we went into the notary’s office. He asked if my Taiwanese friend was the translator, and then asked him a few questions and 2 minutes later he notarized it. My friend had to pay $750nt for the notary service.

Anyway it was super easy. Instead of wasting your money on a translation service just use the translation that is available to you and bring in a Taiwanese person and buy them lunch. The notary also told us that the actual person doesn’t need to be there. Just the translator needs to go.

I have another friend that used a translation service last week. He didn’t even have to go to the courthouse, but he paid $1500nt for the translation and service to the courthouse.

Either way, it was easy. Good luck!

I can’t speak to the 183 days rule because that’s still totally not clear. However, the criminal record check and health check seem pretty straightforward. The press release (from MOI, 9/27) does stipulate the “本國” criminal check, which would seem to mean the applicant’s home country.

The health check also seems pretty straightforward… it says “健康檢查合格證明” which would mean the standard required health check forms.

BAM the rule has officially been removed! Though I would like someone to find the Chinese documentation that confirms this taiwannews.com.tw/etn/news_c … id=2067650

Also the article mentions APRC holder’s spouses being able to have APRC’s this would change my whole world … does anyone know anything or how to find out?

Maybe ask the NIA officials? :wink: