Aprc for childen born in taiwa holding a foreing nationality

Our son was born here in 1995. I am holding an ARC so called dependend ARC after I changed from work permit 12 years ago because my lovely wife is from Taiwan. That made life easier in view of work permits. Besides I am a legal alien in Taiwan for 30 years.

Our son (German) got an ARC based on my residence status. Then the Immigration recommended to change to my wife’s status. It is easier. I agreed.

Whe he turns 20 he would have to apply for an APRC otherwise he has to leave this country.

But it looks so complicated concerning the paperwork e.g.:

-Police record of good conduct from Germany (he never lived there)
-Prove of beinging living in Taiwan (how could he has an ARC)
-Clean health record (being under the cover of NHI as forced for a long time)

Certainly he will not change his nationality to Taiwan because he would lose his German (European) nationality. Only from the year of 2000 or 2002 the German government accepted dual nationality due to Taiwan new rules for giving birth to multinationals.

He wants to stay here and go into the hotel business. We want to give him this chance.

Your feedback if any experience on hand please.

Thanks

Juergen :smiley:

Why would he lose his German nationality? If his mother is TAiwanese he already is entitled to Taiwanese citizenship and does not have to renounce any other citizenship as he was born in 1995.

When I was born in Taiwan to a Taiwanese mother and an American father (much much earlier) the USA laws said that a person such as myself would not be able to claim US citizenship if i had another while Taiwan law didnt allow a child with a foreign father to claim Taiwan citizenship if he/she had another citizenship. So the choice was made by my parents to claim US citizenship for me.

But laws have changed in Taiwan. I understand children born after 1986 to one Taiwanese citizen can claim citizenship irregardless of any other citizenship the child can claim. Prior to 1986 this was true only if the Father (and not the mother) was a taiwan citizen. And the child does NOT have to be born in Taiwan either.

He has German citizenship now. Would Germany require him to renounce German citizenship if he got another citizenship? If not then no problem. Taiwan will not require him to renounce German citizenship to acquire TW citizenship because his mother is Taiwanese and he was born after 1986.

Thats what I gathered. Im sure others will chime in with more details.

[quote=“29A11A48”]
But it looks so complicated concerning the paperwork e.g.:

-Police record of good conduct from Germany (he never lived there)
-Prove of beinging living in Taiwan (how could he has an ARC)
-Clean health record (being under the cover of NHI as forced for a long time)[/quote]

If he never lived in Germany but had German citizenship then his name would be in the government records. “Good conduct” just means no criminal records, wouldn’t never living in Germany be better since he obviously should have no criminal records there?

I would imagine that a birth certificate and immigration records from NIA would work? You can apparently go to NIA and request a printout of your arrival/departure records.

Clean health probably just means no HIV or all that wacky stuff like leoprosy. Take him to Renai hospital and go through the motion of health checks that ARC applicants have to do?

According to German law even the attempt to apply for foreign citicenship will make you lose the German one. The only exception is in case another country is forcing you to have their citizenship too. In these case Germany accepts dual citizenship.

As far as I know Taiwan is doing so but only since 2000 or 2002.

[quote=“29A11A48”]According to German law even the attempt to apply for foreign citicenship will make you lose the German one. The only exception is in case another country is forcing you to have their citizenship too. In these case Germany accepts dual citizenship.

As far as I know Taiwan is doing so but only since 2000 or 2002.[/quote]

That is harsh. But perhaps you can look into the year 2000 thing a bit closer.

p.s. Barring that. HE would be in the same “up the creek without a paddle situation I am in”.
After a certain age you can not rely on your parents being in Taiwan to get an ARC. You have to be in Taiwan on your own merit. So he would have to qualify and get a job that can get him an ARC. Or study chinese for a few years (and live off savings or you). And eventually should he want to stay longer in Taiwan (oddly enough the place of his birth) he will do well to marry a TW citizen.

Or until the laws change once again.

[quote=“29A11A48”]Certainly he will not change his nationality to Taiwan because he would lose his German (European) nationality. Only from the year of 2000 or 2002 the German government accepted dual nationality due to Taiwan new rules for giving birth to multinationals.

He wants to stay here and go into the hotel business. We want to give him this chance.
[/quote]

If he wants to stay here, and he’s never been back to Germany, what’s the use of his German citizenship? If I were in his shoes, I would be strongly considering ROC citizenship.

If he wanted to apply for German citizenship through ancestry at some future date, would that not be possible?

[quote=“spaint”][quote=“29A11A48”]Certainly he will not change his nationality to Taiwan because he would lose his German (European) nationality. Only from the year of 2000 or 2002 the German government accepted dual nationality due to Taiwan new rules for giving birth to multinationals.

[/quote]

If he wants to stay here, and he’s never been back to Germany, what’s the use of his German citizenship? If I were in his shoes, I would be strongly considering ROC citizenship.

If he wanted to apply for German citizenship through ancestry at some future date, would that not be possible?[/quote]
Very good point spaint. LIke me, grew up on Taiwan , now living in the USA. But i always do think that it wouldve been better had i just gone to the Taiwanese school system and just opted for TW citizenship. Just used to the rock. The USA is nice and all that, but the rocks more my home. Asia too.

your kid grew up on taiwan and wants to remain. He may not feel Germany is his home later on either.