APRC + Open Work Permit

I just need to check whether the Open Work Permit is a right granted by having an APRC or whether the APRC simply enables you to apply for an open work permit.

Also, if it simply enables me to apply for an Open Work Permit:

a) How do I apply for it (OWP)?

b) Does it take a long time to process?

c) Has anyone been refused an OWP and why?

d) Does possession of an APRC remove the need for a work permit for a second job or is the OPW required for that?

I ask because I have a morning job waiting for me with my employer from a few years ago, but they require me to have an APRC. They seem to believe that the APRC removes the need for me to have another work permit to work with them.

1. forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.php?t=84841

2. Maybe 2 hours… probably less

3. Only if you do not have APRC

4. Eh, no more work permits are required no mo’.

5. They believe right.

Go visit Mr. Liu. You’re welcome. Say hi for us.

They’ll actually print out the Open Work Permit in 20 minutes now if you don’t mind waiting in the office. Mr. Liu was even nice enough to process mine during his lunch break!

A little ot… but does an owp expire?

1. You can qualify for an open permit under Article 51, but they have strange interpretations of the rules. I was denied one with two in hand on the grounds that I was “no longer” eligible (they read that you had to apply within 2 years of holding an ARC). Don’t know how one is supposed to change jobs later. That was not PARC however, so it may not apply.

[quote=“Reaperjim”] […] d) Does possession of an APRC remove the need for a work permit for a second job or is the OPW required for that?

I ask because I have a morning job waiting for me with my employer from a few years ago, but they require me to have an APRC. They seem to believe that the APRC removes the need for me to have another work permit to work with them.[/quote]

No, the APRC does not qualify you to work. You must apply for the OPW. However, as others have said above, getting the OPW is essentially a formality once you have your APRC, so just do it.

The OWP does not have an expiration date. It is valid as long as the APRC remains valid.

Article 51 work permits are in general for APRC holders only. If you do not hold an APRC it does not apply. My OWP was easy to get, easiest doc I got from any govt.

Do any of you know what will happen if an APRC holder is caught working without an owp?

When changing your APRC address, will any info on your open work permit need to be changed?

Mine has no address info. I guess no.

OWP is linked to your passport, so only when renewing your passport.

If I change the address on my APRC, do I need to apply for a new work permit? My company says I do and I think I don’t.

I have an open work permit I applied for myself just after I got my APRC.

All they have to do is change the address on my APRC because I moved.

According to this it shouldn’t be necessary.

There is no address printed on work permit.

But if you received a new ID number with your new APRC, then you need a new work permit.

1 Like