APRC residency time from school

I did a cursory search, but to no avail. I seem to recall that the residency counting rules had changed in relation to graduate school (Masters and PhDs taken in Taiwan). It was something along the lines of half of the time would be considered?

Anyone ?

as far as I know the answer is negative. time spent in taiwan on student visa (including masters and phd) doesnt count toward aprc.
only time on a work visa (I.e. paying taxes) counts.
time on student visa also doesnt shorten the requirement for achieving aprc status for you or your family.

That is what I had read previously as well. I think it might be some part of the proposed revisions to the Gold Card bill or something along those lines - I just don’t have the time to dig right now and I was curious if anyone knew off-hand.

I am curious though, if I got a Gold card visa, had money coming in from overseas (that I declared at tax time in Taiwan), but decided to do a Master’s degree while on the Gold Visa, how would that work? My take is that as long as you aren’t on a student visa and have money coming in, it should be the same as “working” in relation to an APRC. But that is just my take on it, and it isn’t something that I will test until I am already in Taiwan and can speak directly to Immigration beforehand.

That is a part of the new economic immigration act, which is resubmitted and sent to committee again, iirc.

The years on GC are fully counted regardless of what you do, as far as you are 8n Taiwan.

One other thing probably worth checking: don’t know how it works for the Gold Card, but some visas have restricted ability to study - Taiwanese universities may not accept enrollment if visa conditions aren’t met.

Sounds like you are referring to Article 14 of the Draft amendments to the recruitment and employment of foreign professionals act?

Where a period of school attendance in the State as referred to in Subparagraph 1 of the preceding paragraph was to study for a master’s degree or higher at an institution of higher education, the period of residence for attending school may be counted in the calculation of the period of continuous residence in the State as referred to in Paragraph 1 in accordance with the following provisions:

1. Foreign professional:
    Obtaining a doctoral degree counts as two years, obtaining a master’s degree counts as one year, but the two may not be counted together.
  2. Foreign special professional:
    Obtaining a doctoral degree counts as one year.