APRC: Worth it?

I’m here! Welcome to town. You’ll see it’s raining today. Does that a lot here :wink:.

A good point, that I hadn’t really thought of. BUT I got everything done today, just got to pick up the police check up on Tue. So then we went back to NIA, and discussed the application. Different person on the desk, different answer :doh:.

[quote=“Icon”]They usually give extensions while the new ARC is processing. Can’t they extend your old ARC enough like a week? That is not very friendly service.
I’d run, tout de suite, to get the paperwork in with plenty of time -at least a week or more- for them to give me an extension based on the fact that they would be already processing the stuff or at least have it in their possession. Yes, there is a clout of applications, even here in Taipei it takes longer than usual.[/quote]
:thumbsup: And yes, that’s pretty much what today’s guy said. They’ll accept the application next week, and then if it’s not processed in time and it’s getting close to my ARC expiry date, they’ll contact me. Then I’ll either get a temporary extension on my existing ARC, or a new 1 year ARC. He wasn’t exactly clear there, but we’ll deal with that if/when.

Other stuff:
Although I’m relying on house ownership to get the APRC, he’s advised that we include my wife’s bank statement (as I’m her dependent, in this application). When asked how much they wanted to see in the account, he plucked a figure of $430,000 from thin air. My UK bank statement was inadmissable as evidence of ability to support myself in Taiwan.

[quote=“Nuit”][quote=“Steve4nLanguage”]I had a similar situation. I applied for the APRC on the day I was eligible, but I had only two weeks left on my old ARC. Although the online info says 14-day processing, and although I pleaded my case, the APRC worker told me that two weeks was absolutely not enough time because of the increase in APRC applications lately, so I ended up having to renew my ARC one more time.

Anyway, I applied on May 31st and received my approval letter on June 29th—exactly 4 weeks later—so you’re probably OK.[/quote]

… There were/are only 2 officers on duty in the Hualian NIA, and they were both insistent that 5.5 weeks wasn’t enough time.[/quote]

So… turned out there was just enough time, and I squeezed it all in.

22-Sep / APRC application submitted
23-Oct / Approved by NIA (so took them just over 4 weeks)
26-Oct / Current ARC due to expire

All worked out perfectly :smiley:. Paid the 10k today, and will pick up the card itself next week. I’m (almost) permanent :discodance: :discodance:.

Congratulations! You certainly were proactive and strived for your goal. Great work! Now enjoy the freedom.

[quote=“elektronisk”][quote=“finley”]There are whole threads on this.

It’s now ridiculously simple, and reasonable value for money. As mentioned, you have to apply for the open work permit separately but this takes another couple of hours at most.

For anyone who meets the requirements (there is a modest minimum-salary limit as well as the 5-year thing mentioned above) I can’t think of any good reason not to apply.[/quote]

Agreed. BTW it is NT$10,000.

Also, I have hit my head against the wall trying to get a shortlist 1 post continuously updated visa info thread for so long I don’t even flinch when someone else can’t be bothered wading through threads that started when I was still in short “pants”. :laughing:[/quote]

plus all other costs it’ll be closer to 20,000 NT$

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

[quote=“Nuit”]So… turned out there was just enough time, and I squeezed it all in.

22-Sep / APRC application submitted
23-Oct / Approved by NIA (so took them just over 4 weeks)
26-Oct / Current ARC due to expire

All worked out perfectly :smiley:. Paid the 10k today, and will pick up the card itself next week. I’m (almost) permanent :discodance: :discodance:.[/quote]
Congrats!

I am having an issue with my APRC application. It was rejected my a very unpleasant officer in Hualien. I have been on a marriage ARC for 8.5 years and here continuously for 11 years, time is not my issue. I was told the money is fine. I was rejected because my wife is disabled and receives a bit of money every month. The officer would not tell me where this rule/law exists. My wife and I won’t be married forever and he knows this. Did he make this up? Where can I find if this is a true regulation??
Another question. I have never had a blanket work permit. Do I need one with my current marriage ARC??

[quote=“GregMonkey1001”]I am having an issue with my APRC application. It was rejected my a very unpleasant officer in Hualian. I have been on a marriage ARC for 8.5 years and here continuously for 11 years, time is not my issue. I was told the money is fine. I was rejected because my wife is disabled and receives a bit of money every month. The officer would not tell me where this rule/law exists. My wife and I won’t be married forever and he knows this. Did he make this up? Where can I find if this is a true regulation??
Another question. I have never had a blanket work permit. Do I need one with my current marriage ARC??[/quote]

I know that guy, he’s miserable as hell.
First, you don’t need any kind of work permit if you have a marriage ARC. You do need to be able to show proof of funds to support yourself (value of house if you own one, tax receipts from previous years, or a taiwan bank balance of $500,000 or so).

I don’t see how they can legally discriminate against you because of your wife’s disability, but it’s likely that guy enjoys the power-trip of refusing to take applications if he doesn’t like someone or their situation. What do you mean by he knows you & wife won’t be married forever? That sounds like enough for him to decide to turn you down.

I don’t know what you do in those circumstances. Appeal? Appeal to who? The women in the Hualien office are friendlier, you could try approaching them, but that guy seems to be always there.

Ha, that must be the same guy I dealt with simply to change the address on my APRC. Officious, suspicious, and miserable as hell, as nuit said. There’s got to be someone that GregMonkey can appeal to.

I don’t understand why you were rejected but my understanding was that every foreigner needed to go through the process of getting an open work permit regardless of being JFRV or APRC. It sounded like a trivial process when a friend did it this summer. I can’t remember if Mucha Man was on a JFRV or APRC but he got into a lot of trouble a long time ago over this technicality IIRC.

I know a couple of guys from the Taiwan Disability Association. I bet they would love to have a few words with the guy so called public officer.

The amount received is not much and is comparable to what the Government gives people with many kids. If your assets/time/ is enough, that is a very bad argument for denial. Very un-PC, for starters.

Well, thanks for the support. Taiwan Disability Association, how to get in touch with them? Why would he simply be able to deny because he thinks we might not be married forever. At the moment I think I will go in with my wife in a few months and renew the marriage ARC. Some time after that we will try APRC again after wife stops receiving the disability. Does the officer have leeway to just deny because he feels like it? That guy, blood boils thinking about it.

FB, usually. Do you have any written evidence he denied you on that basis? Any more witnesses? Just for… records, you know.

I mean, what about foreigners who receive “assistance” bonus from the Government on their fourth child with a Taiwanese? Or 60 year old residents who receive also a gift from the lizhang certain times a year? Just saying “assistance” does not make sense.

The highly annoying dude quoted a reg, but would not write it down for me. I called the office in Taipei and, poorly, said that I had just been rejected. After a few minutes on hold when, clearly, a call was made to Hualien, I was told that such a reg exists. I need to find a lawyer type to answer if that is a true reg or not. If it is not, what do I do??? I believe there is still no recourse from there, just push forward. I would hope that any office I worked in backed me up as well as these gate keepers do. Was a time when the offices did not talk to each other so well, or at all. Oh well. that is where I am at, oh well, fucking cheese and crackers and , oh well.

I have a few months to try again, with my wife’s help. We are still married, will always be friends. There is love, care, and concern. She wants this and I need that, together I hope we can get what we need from the freakin low level office and low level shit bird,

Anybody watch Star Trek TNG, the gate keepers, Picard, and Troi???
fuck me
and seriously, fuck them
them I want to live with forever, fuck me
I will persist, resist, and win in the end

any advice about how to avoid the dreaded dude in the Hualien office? What is his schedule, when is his lunch???

written evidence,
I was told on the phone and in person that I was denied cuz wife is on the dole, nothing to do with me?
was told the same on the phone with the Taipei office, told them that I had been denied and in Hualien, mistake on my part to tell them that, should have asked hypothetically, after hold was told that the rejection was valid
remember, this rejection came less than 24 hours after submitting, grrrrrrrr
No, asked him to write that down, what the reg was, please write that down, pissed him off more, he knows I called Taipei to check on his action, simply said that he couldn’t do that , still wonder if it is fiction, denied just cuz he does not not not like me? totally possible, do they have that freedom?

Still, can the case officer deny for any reason he sees fit, is it his case to pass along to Taipei or reject at his whim? Is that how it works?

So we really need:

1. the quotation of that regulation -as said, certain people would love to hear about it. I mean, if you qualify moneywise, and this “assistance” is on top, not as a lifeline, but as a perk and a right given to ROC nationals in times of need, then it does not make sense, goes against human rights, and should be fought over.

2. true, you can wait. if you feel it is best, then do. It is certainly less confrontational. But in any case, have plan B on the side.

3. lawyer up.

If you have actually applied and been rejected, you can appeal and eventually sue in court if your administrative appeal fails. Of course all this will cost money if you need a lawyer to help (probably the most effective way). The usual trick is to for them to say that you are not qualified and convince you that you can’t or that you shouldn’t because you will just be rejected. This way you have no standing for an appeal. If you have an educated Taiwanese friend, they might be able to help you write the appeal and navigate the process. Failing that, you will probably need a lawyer. You might go to legal aid and see if they can recommend someone who would help. You should be able to find a young lawyer willing to do this for NT$50,000 or less. Your Taiwanese friends may be able to help you communicate with the lawyer.

I’m just telling this so that you are aware that even though the officer does have the power to reject you, if it is arbitrary or unlawful, you do have recourse. It may not make economic sense to pursue redress or may be just too much grief. But an APRC is really worth having.

For the full picture, what evidence did you give them that you qualified financially - tax receipts? bank balance?

If that was all in order, I’d go back in and insist on seeing the regulation. Mr Miserable is just the front line - if he won’t provide that, he has superiors who sit in the back of the office. It’s easy to get confrontational with that guy, but try & stay polite. Just don’t budge. Get them to give you this rule in writing, or at least their decision in writing.

It’s not right to make a formal application and then be denied verbally.

Isn’t there like a free legal service for foreign spouses?

I am remaining calm and will be next time I am in the office, though the officer handling my application brings blood to a boil in a hurry. I am not alone in this opinion. I know he will always handle my shit from here to the end of time.
I will apply again after wife ceases disability payments and my money situation is even more solid, early January. Failing that application we will extend the current marriage ARC. Following that, I will apply again for the APRC again in the summer. Lawyering up is also in my mind. My wife will work with me on this process.
He refused to provide a written explanation, very unprofessional and arbitrary in my mind.
As far as documentation I provided, tax records and bank affidavit about money on hand in Taiwan.
My gut feeling that he just made this up may just be a reaction to his manner. I will get around to asking a lawyer about it.
Anybody know an immigration lawyer? I will ask at legal aide soon. As anxious as this guy makes me, there is no hurry to achieve my goals here.
Where and how to begin an appeal?

I am rooting for you. I had an A-hole person way back when I was trying to apply for my 10-year ARC. The man was so Anal, that he erased all the “Taiwan” and “Taiwanese” from the nationality blanks on the form and replaced it with “Republic of China” and “Chinese” I was denied the first time. But, when I came back, everything had been transformed to a very user friendly and yes, helpful office. What a difference a year made. Your guy needs to retire.
Good luck… I still would love to look up my old officer and visit his old age home to annoying him. I can be annoying as Sponge Bob. The APRC makes all the difference. I’m glad I no longer have to go what you are going through. Good luck.