APRC: Worth it?

hi, does anyone know with certainty what the rule is these days for how long you can stay outside Taiwan with an APRC? I remember for a while it was 2 years, which could be extended to 3 if you stayed 183 days on the front end of the year you leave and 183 on the back end of the year you come back. anyway, I have heard rumors but have been unable to confirm that APRC holders can stay outside the country for up to five years now. can anyone confirm? Thanks!

APRC Holders that have been obtained as “professional” , can leave Taiwan for up to 5 Years . There is no need to even notify the Authorities. If you have any other ARC or marriage ARC , the 183 day rule still applies . This may change but this is now. You can apply to leave Taiwan for up to 2 years at a time, under the 183 day rule and I believe that in certain cases , that can be extended on a case by case basis.
As always, check with NIA to be 100% sure.

okay, so if I got my APRC by working here for 5+ years and I want/need to leave the country, I can do so for up to five years? does that mean five calendar years or could I extend that to six years by getting in 183 days on the front end of the year I leave and 183 on the back end of the year I come back?

As for other APRC holders, including those on a marriage one, they can only leave for 2 years and must notify the authorities?

If your APRC is professional ( teachers and white collar workers etc ) , NIA btw, will tell you on what basis your APRC was applied for…it’s not on the card. I think its just an allowance of 5 years from the date you leave, but you really need to check that. The only stipulation is that you must return within 5 years. I guess you can then leave again. Remember , whilst away you need to pay voluntary contribution to NHI, should you wish to retain health cover .

This should be changed, but I think it is the case now , yes.

For the millionth time, THERE IS NO MARRIAGE BASED APRC!

1 Like

This info may be outdated or useless but Article 33 updated might be a place to start looking.

Article 33 of Immigration Act says this.

"National Immigration Agency shall revoke or repeal a person’s permanent residence permit and cancel his/her Alien Permanent Resident Certificate if the person meets one of the following circumstances:

1. Has not resided for one hundred and eighty-three (183) days for each year during his/her permanent residence in the State. "

Though, it is followed by “The person shall be exempted if he/she has the approval of National Immigration Agency to study abroad, seek medical treatment, or for other special reasons.”

If the revisions currently under discussion at the Legislature pass, there won’t be any time constraints for APRC holders.

And yes, There is NO SUCH THING AS MARRIAGE BASED APRC.

If you guys refer to the JFRV: THAT ONE IS NOT PERMANENT AS if your spouse dies or you get divorced, it is KAPUT.

So the 5 years limit would go ? Hope so .

here is the rule for a foreign professional on APRC.

APRC via marriage,and APRC via work?

Dependent APRC of spouses of foreign professionals with APRC could be marriage based APRC.

Removed by self-moderation.

Though, the dependent APRC is based on their marriage, isn’t it?

Can they keep the APRC even if they get divorced, as far as the ex-spouses hold APRC?

Removed by self-moderation.

I am talking on this APRC.

Act for the Recruitment and Employment of Foreign Professionals

Article 16
After a foreign professional hired to conduct professional work has been approved for permanent residence by the National Immigration Agency, Ministry of the Interior, said person’s spouse and minor children, and children over twenty years old who are unable to live independently due to physical or mental disability, who have resided in the State lawfully and continuously for five years, have stayed in the State for more then 183 days in each of those years, and have behaved properly in compliance with the national interests of the State, may apply for permanent residency to the National Immigration Agency, Ministry of the Interior.
Where the permanent residence permit of a foreign professional as referred to in the preceding paragraph is revoked or cancelled in accordance with the provisions of this Act or of Article 33 of the Immigration Act, the permanent residence permits of said person’s spouse and minor children, and children over twenty years old who are unable to live independently due to physical or mental disability, shall be revoked or cancelled together therewith.

I concede the argument. You’re right, I’m wrong. You’re the duty expert and I will extricate myself from further discussion.

My apologies.

I hold no grudge.

The article 16 says nothing what if they get divorced after the dependent spouse gets APRC, though.

Very true.

The only reason not to, and its probably a rare one, is if you do restricted work fields that in someway require a taiwan ID. For example farming. You can be a farmer (not on a farming company) but on a family arc you have equal work rights and you are allowed to join farmers associate and farmers nhi. When you get aprc you are not on family visa and you lose those rights.

In the few peoples case this is rellavent this can really fck you. Especially if your husband or wife is local and own a company they also cannot get these farmers benefits which causes problems if you wish to build on farmland etc.

Otherwise cant think of any reason not to get it! Especially if your partner dies or divorces and you lose jfrv. Or you become disabled and lose your work visa etc… Aprc protects you a lot these ways

1 Like

Eh?

Ok, if a foreigner is martied to a local, and then the foreigner can apply and gets APRC based on residency,time here, paperwork to prove assets, etc.

If a foreigner is married to another foreigner who has APRC, they do not have the same rights. They get residency rights but no work rights. They get common ARC. No work rights. You cannot get APRC by marrying someone who has one.

It all gets complicated when a Government actually doesn’t mind immigration and residency… providing you are the “right” type of immigrant . :cry: