Apu was (allegedly) KILLED!

How could Apu be represented in a more positive light? The dude was a sweetheart.

“Muh racism” made it so there’s no longer any south Asian representation on the Simpsons. People think that’s a good thing?

I knew a few apus back in Texas. Family started one 711. Kids made fun of them for being apus. Now their family own like 20 711s and they’ve became so much more wealthier within a single generation.

2 Likes

After living in Springfield USA for so many years, maybe his accent becomes super American in the next episode.

Dunno, I can’t say. I’m not South Asian myself, so I don’t know what it is about it that bothers them, but from what I understand, most people are just peeved that they couldn’t at least get an Indian voice actor for him.

This is the problem. Society has decided that the solution to racism is tribalism.

They could.
What type of accent should he have?

I don’t know. There’s so many to choose from. His current “accent” is technically imaginary, as in no Indian people actually sound like that.

Have you been to Canada before and talked to Indians?

That’s exactly how all my Indian friends talk.
Unless they are born in Canada they normally sound like Apu.

What’s wrong with that?

Hank Azaria is one of the most brilliant voice actors of all time. It would be a shame for him to lose his job because of affirmative action. And you’d that most Asians would be against affirmative action, considering they’re one of its primary victims.

I think real Indians can probably tell the difference.

i guess MG has to update to present-day and invent an Indian character who works at Intel as an engineer on a B-1 visa

And real white people can tell the difference between Homer Simpson and your average working class schlub.

So do we get a Indian who has broken English and a heavy accent to voice Apu, or do we get an Indian who has sounds exactly like every other simpsons character to voice Apu?

I actually think this would be a pretty reasonable move. Not super American, but definitely not as distinctive. I mean, he’s been in Springfield for a long time. My mom’s accent definitely improved over the decades, I’d venture to say most foreigners’ English only gets better and better as they use it.

I think an Indian person who’s been in an English-speaking country for a long time would be pretty appropriate.

Glad we solved this

How can we make sure he has the appropriate amount of accent to please everyone though?

For every year he’s lived in Springfield we give him 9.6% more of an American accent?

Smithers was originally black. I’m surprised there haven’t been complaints about his closet gay stereotyping.

Why was Mr.Smithers on the submarine, shouldn’t he be working at the power plant?
How did he hold his breath when the submarine went down?

Realistically speaking, someone who immigrates from the subcontinent as an adult is not going to lose their accent.

1 Like

But that’s the comedy of it. Indian guy with a thick Indian accent. Now has a super American accent. Or maybe an English accent after a trip to England and back.