Apu was (allegedly) KILLED!

It was an Indian American who lead the charge with the documentary, “The Problem with Apu.” Would suggest watching it, if you can find it. There are perhaps issues you didn’t consider beyond “libtard bad”.

2 Likes

"People asked me to talk like Apu 8( "

Well, I guess it’s time to demand Nintendo to ban Super Mario, in order to respect all those pasta people who suffer from ptsd every time they hear someone saying:“It’sA me! Mario!”.

2 Likes

So you’re sticking with libtard bad. Imagine my utter shock.

1 Like

I wouldn’t suggest watching it. I would suggest watching the video I posted at the top of this thread. That is of course unless… oh nvm @IbisWtf

Yup, because apparently libtards are unable / unwilling to explain why stereotypes are bad only when some minorities/groups are portrayed, but not others.

3 Likes

Kind of changing the narrative a bit there, I was only taking issue with the stupid white supremacy comment. If you want to make a film about how you find Groundskeeper Willy offensive, go ahead.

We’ve been through this before when the radio show Amos and Andy made the switch to TV, and those beloved, groundsbreaking minority characters now had to be played by actual black people. When the white voice actors helped promote their black replacements, the SJWs of the day rejoiced. And it really was a funny show.

So in other words Scots should (and do) take making fun of their accents and culture in good fun but Indians are within their rights to get insulted at what amounts to the same thing? And then you don’t see the connection to white supremacy which is masquerading as white guilt and social warrior justice?

1 Like

Said nothing even remotely close to that.

1 Like

Interesting opinion piece from an Indian American:

5 Likes

Oh no, the dreaded… WHATABOUTERY strikes again! :runaway:

Or is that only a thing when the shoe is on the other cultural foot?

1 Like

I wasn’t joking, but apparently it was just the government of Glasgow.

In 2009, Willie was added to the “Famous Glaswegians” webpage of Glasgow City Council, based on his line in “Simpsoncalifragilisticexpiala(Annoyed Grunt)cious”. A spokesman for Aberdeen F.C. disputed Glasgow’s claim to the character, citing the episodes “Scuse Me While I Miss The Sky” and “The Dad Who Knew Too Little”.[11][12] In Season 23 Episode 13 “The Daughter Also Rises”, first aired in 2012, it was finally stated that Groundskeeper Willie is from Kirkwall in Orkney, therefore ending this dispute.[13]

If it was we, I wouldn’t get rid of Apu instead I would add 1 or 2 indians without an accent.

They already did that too. Aziz Ansari played his Indian-American nephew who meta-criticized Apu for being a stereotype. That episode should’ve been the end of this tbh.

Because there is no way they can explain it. I would suggest some maybe suffering from self loathing or the "White guilt " complex.

1 Like

I’m getting very angry about this whole stupid cultural appropriation business.
I am freaking here in Asia because of cultural appropriation, in a way.
I grew up to old Charlie Chan movies that my father allowed me to stay up late on Saturday night’s to watch.
There’s nothing objectionable about him. He was a good role model and a big step up from Dr. Fu Man Chu in the portrayal of Asians.
China love Charlie Chan. even the real Charlie Chan (Chang Apana) love the Charlie Chan often cracking up on set while reacting to how some of his real life scenes were being portrayed.

I could go on point-by-point picking apart the critic’s arguments but this is Apu’s thread. I think I think I will create a Charlie Chan thread if there is any interest.

No one at the time seemed to mind that Charlie Chan was a fake Asian. They just loved the magic of the character. Even Number One Son, stepped into his father’s place to lend his voice to the Charlie Chan cartoons.
The story of the real Charlie Chan audiobook

Stopped reading here.
Can’t believe your admitting to your racism.

Jokes aside, I agree with what your saying and would enjoy if you made a Charlie Chan thread.

I think Fu Manchu could be rehabilitated. As I recall, he was a Qing loyalist fighting the British (represented by Neyland Smith), who were supporting the Guomindang.

3 Likes