Arab Shame

[quote]Arabian Shame

Friday, August 12, 2005; Page A18

SOME REMAIN skeptical of President Bush’s concern for Africa, and there’s no doubt that the United States could and should do more. But the latest report on Sudan from the United Nations offers a snapshot of an issue on which Mr. Bush has been a leader. So far this year the United States has given $468 million in foreign assistance to Sudan, mostly for humanitarian relief in the western region of Darfur. The U.S. contribution comes to 53 percent of all outside donations -- a proportion about twice the size of the nation’s weight in the global economy. A few other countries have been even more generous relative to the size of their economies, notably Norway, the Netherlands, Sweden, Denmark and Britain.

But the contribution from many others has been embarrassing. How can France, which prides itself on its leadership in Africa, give only $2 million to this year’s U.N. appeal for Sudan – an amount that, when rounded, comes to zero percent of total contributions to the country? Even if one generously ascribed, say, a fifth of the European Union’s donation of $90 million to French taxpayers, France’s share of the total contribution to Sudan comes to a paltry 2 percent.

But perhaps the most striking absentees are the oil-rich Arab countries, which have more money than ideas on how to spend it, thanks to oil prices above $60 a barrel. Saudi Arabia has contributed a grand total of $3 million, according to the U.N. data; the United Arab Emirates and Qatar have given less than $1 million between them. No other Arab country even makes the list. This Arab indifference is shameful. The victims of Sudan’s worst crisis, in Darfur, are Muslim, and aid to non-Muslim southern Sudan is essential to shoring up the fragile north-south peace deal that would help Muslims as well. Sudan borders Libya and Egypt; only the narrow Red Sea separates it from Saudi Arabia. Arabs have every reason to care about Sudan, and yet they have done far less than remote non-Muslim countries such as Norway, which has an economy roughly the same size as Saudi Arabia’s. Writing on the opposite page last month, Joseph Britt noted, “We’ve heard a lot since Sept. 11, 2001, about how Arabs feel humiliated, ashamed, resentful at being regarded by the West as inferior in some way." Mr. Britt continued: "Perhaps it is time to say plainly that the way to earn respect is through deeds worthy of respect.”[/quote]

washingtonpost.com/

No surprise given the almost total lack of funding by the Arab world despite the fact that the tsunami victims were largely Muslim. There is great hoopla every time a Koran is “harmed” but when millions of fellow Muslims are dying? Well, cannot be bothered by that now can we. Once again this is a perfect example of the US and what it does in the world and yet another example of why Arab sensitivities should not be catered to so excessively as is favored by so many on the Left. Put up or shut up.

“The Arab indifference is shameful”

The U.S. interest and motivation to help begs the question: What’s in it for the United States?

On a more general point, the post above is a good example of how one shameful act is conflated to the whole Arab population by those looking for a simple analysis yet an equally shameful act commited by the United States is justified as being “exceptional”.

“A few rogue soldiers” springs to mind.

as is the intolerance, the lack of interest in innovation and knowledge, the lack of respect for basic human rights, the terrorism, the violence, the oppression, the abuse, the stagnation…

You tell me. What was in it for the US to help all the tsunami victims? All just a PR campaign? Fat lot of good it did so maybe we should not even bother?

This is not one shameful act. What about the starving victims in Niger? Where is the Arab world? How about the endless conflicts and poverty? where is the Arab World when their very own are suffering?

Please tell me which shameful act you have in mind that the US has committed.

Well unless you have proof that they were not just rogue soldiers and that this was as was earlier suggested a top-down directive, then I guess you will be merely speculating. Notice also how the awful abuses of the Koran in Guantanamo were actually committed by the terrorists who tried to plug a toilet with one. This goes unmentioned of course as does Mugabe’s willful destruction of entire mosques in Zimbabwe, but we still have headlines (albeit downgraded ones) about Koran “harm” committed by US soldiers? Ridiculous.

So where is the Arab world here? Why aren’t they donating money to Sudan?

A TV program I watched long ago said that the total percentage of the world GDP from the middle east is less than 1%. If thats the case I can sort of understand why they don’t have much to give. Someone verify?

Question: Does the $468 million figure from the United States include assistance from groups like Red Cross, or is it just government contributions only.

If such is the case, wasn’t it said that Arabian countries have a small prosperous class, while most of the populous live below the poverty level?

If thats the case I can sort of understand why many Arabian countries can’t donate great amounts.

Nations like Iran have money for nukes, Saddam had money for weapons and palaces while his people starved, Pakistan is developing cruise missiles and then Gulf oil states like Saudi Arabia are loaded. Curious that there is all kinds of money for terrorism and Islamic “charities” that blow up buses but none for charities that actually feed people. No?

US government funding only. It is money Bush has personally earmarked.

See comments above.

I cannot. Tell me why the following countries cannot give more money:

Saudi Arabia
Qatar
Kuwait
Bahrain
UAE
Oman

All are oil rich. What about neighboring Libya? And why not even a token effort on Egypt or Yemen or Iran’s part? What about Morocco?

So yet once again the greatest help is coming as it was with the tsunami as it was in Afghanistan even under the Taliban as it was in Iraq from America and this is the nation that is most vilified next to Israel? What the f***?

True. Arab governments by and large are fat, bloated, corrupt and indifferent towards their own people.

Sounds like Taiwan’s government as well. :smiling_imp: Sounds like Canada’s government for the past few decade!!!. I think the “nature of the beast” – big government — is to be fat, bloated, and corrupt. What makes the US different is the generousity of its citizens. They are the most generous donors in the world. The Arab masses are too poor and ignorant to be donors, and their rulers are for the most part too greedy or selfish irrespective of whether its the UAE, Libya, Syria, or Saudi Arabia. Perhaps this will change once “democratic reform” becomes even more widespread. I look forward to watching the “donor” mentality take hold within the region.

Like it has in our “friends” Germany and France? Perhaps, rather the opposite when they become Muslim majority nations along with the rest of the cesspool that passes for civilization that is otherwise known as the Middle East. Eurabia in our time?

Well, here’s a way some ‘poor’ Muslim countries spend money hand over fist.

Lasers to recreate statues destroyed by Taleban

Link

[quote]AFGHANISTAN’S famous Bamiyan Buddhas are due to be recreated by multicoloured laser images projected on to the cliffs where they once stood.

The 1,600-year-old statues were destroyed by the Taleban in 2001. [/quote]

[quote]The project would cost an estimated

Wow, Fred finds yet another chance to demonize Arabs. What a surprise.

Arabs, Muslims in particular, seem to be doing a pretty good job of demonizing themselves. Sept. 11, July 7, etc. are hardly acts of civil disobedience.

When a phony story in a weekly news magazine causes hundreds of thousands of Muslims to riot in protest, trampling each other to death, because of lies about

So you’re ready to condemn an entire race of people on the backs of about one and a half dozen people? What about Columbine, was that enough to justify demonizing all white people?

[quote]When a phony story in a weekly news magazine causes hundreds of thousands of Muslims to riot in protest, trampling each other to death, because of lies about

Condemnation of the errant, teenage killers was immediate and on going. Bad analogy.

The preaching of the Imams throughout SEA, the Middle East, and Europe was deafening as to condemning the Koran abuse. The placards of the protesters, and articles on the Muslim websites were not fictions of some conspiracy - they were real and influential in the protests and the rioting. The diversion of attention that emanated from the Pakistani President for his US trip was laughable.

Only in the last few weeks has the American Muslim community spoken out as a unified voice against the use of violence in promoting Islam. Many critics have commented that growing fear of retaliation was more the cause than fundamental disagreement with the methods.

OOC

I agree that the riots were almost definitely entirely sparked by leaders, imams, and websites. Not Newsweek. They may’ve spun it into an extra piece of kindling for the fire, but I totally think the “Newsweek caused it” thing is bullshit.

And you’re right about the rest of that post too - I was just trying to point out the ridiculousness of what you said initially: that two terrorist acts are enough to justify condemning an entire race of people.

POI - its not a race being spoken about. Its the radical adherent to Wahabi Islam and the fringe radical elements of this group.

Nothing ‘racial’ about this.

Although I personally elieve that profiling by LEO’s is an effective element in combatting these miscreants.

If the Newsweek article hadn’t been written some other pretext would have sufficed, to that end it was the ‘machine’ that caused the riots not the Newsweek reporting.

I mention only those two acts only to introduce the lack of reasoned, human condemnation of the acts. The list of acts, as I’m sure you are familiar, is quite extensive and the list of victims is quite long. The killers who participated were certainly criminals. Those who praise, promote, and justify their actions are demons. Those who remain silent aid and abet those demons.

OOC

Fred grabs ahold of the ONE positive thing that has come from the theocracy we call the bush administration…

run with it, nothing else worthwhile has come out of the white house in the past 5 years.