Arachnida of Taiwan

Haven’t even looked for :frowning:

Well, actually I saw a mantis shrimp and this super flat fish with two eyes on the top… Not sure if those count, and got no pictures.

:face_vomiting:

So we were camping when I noticed something in one of the guy lines:

And yeah, it’s a spider!

I didn’t know they could put front and back legs together like this, perfectly aligned!

1 Like

Guys are you sure local household spiders are harmless to humans? My landlady insists they pee on your face and leave a hole a la Alien.

1 Like

Why would you doubt her?

May I ask where you camped?

Miaoli.
Why?

Curiosity. Also I think I’ve seen that one mainly in the North, but now I come to think that it wouldn’t make sense that it wouldn’t be anywhere else.

Do you know the species?

I’m getting old… I confused it with an orb-weaver spider, but I see it’s not likely that.

1 Like

I saw a few spiders around our tent, most just minding their own business.
The big surprise was after returning home and opening our luggage. A huge huntsman (about the size of my palm) jumped from the inside of it and scared the sh*t out of us!

Maybe I should ask @urodacus?

1 Like

He would be a good option, but @Explant might be a better choice for this.

1 Like

It can be used for fertiliser, and it is in many countires. It is also unsanitary becuse the specific bacteria in human poo are paticulary well adapted to make other humans sick…

Of course there are poo bacteria in all animal poos that can make you sick. But if you handle the poo properly, (i.e., not licking it or using bare hands to play wth it!), but treat it like compost and break it down a bit first, therefor changing the kinds of bacteria in it and avoiding as much of the Typhus and Chlorella and Escherhichia bacteria, which prefer to do their stuff at 37degrees, then the nutrients can get back into the soil and help your plants.

edit: i realise now that that was the first question in that thread way back when.

Good to see that my answer did not change much…

1 Like

Not sure if you were taking the piss but I’m pretty sure what he wanted to ask you was what the heck that spider he posted above is :slight_smile:

BTW, the human poo fertilizer thing is a question I myself have had… thanks god I never tried it at home :smiley:

1 Like
2 Likes

Coming! some of us actually have work to do, you know…

Yeah, yeah… but that’s no excuse for talking shit instead of spiders haha

1 Like

No idea of the species, but from general body shape I would hazard a guess at it being a member of the Pholcidae family.

which includes 'daddy-long-legs", far and away the most deadly spider of all!

2 Likes

Just kidding. That’s a massive urban myth. no research ever done on it. I think it stems from tongune in cheek comment from a venom biologist who was asked Which spider has the most deadly venom?, to which he replied “We have no idea, not enough research has been done. For all we know, it could be the daddy-long-legs (randomly choosing a well known but totally innocuous spider, whose venom apparatus is so small it’s unlikely to ever be studied except by genetic means, and no-one has the money time or inclination to do that)…”

I should know, that used to be my area of research.

1 Like