ARC cancellation

My ex boss told me the date to leave Taiwan is today, which appears to be 10 days after my contract was terminated. I don’t know where she got this day from though or if she was just guessing.
I went to the NIA this morning. All they could tell me was that my ARC was still valid. I called the office in the county where I was working, and same thing. They said I should come within a month of my contracts termination to apply for an ARC renewal. Then the office here told me I can do it there or here but I should do it ASAP because it might get cancelled in one week or one month, and as soon as they get told I’ll have to leave Taiwan.

Not really sure what the deal is. Does any of that sound right?
Ideally I’d like to stay here a bit longer, no more than a couple of weeks. Not sure if it’s worth going to the trouble of renewing the ARC. I could just do a visa run but that’s expensive.

Work related ARC can be extended to ‘find’ a new job when the contract is terminated.

2 Likes

So I’ve heard. It sounds like a bit of effort though

I am on family ARC. But as far as I know it is not so hard.

Effort? You just hand in a form and pay the fee.

2 Likes

It’s the termination letter that sounds like a pain. Oh well I’ll try

1 Like

Your employer is legally compelled to give you a termination letter/certificate of employment.

Where the hell do you get a residency certificate if you don’t live anywhere

How the hell do you exist if you don’t live anywhere?

1 Like

Where do you sleep at night?

On the street to save money

Nah at a hostel

He sleeps at his desk and parties all night, hence the termination of contract :banana:

2 Likes

Contract with a friend, or an extremely cheap place just for a contract.

You can stay for 6 months doing tourism, traveling around Asia, relaxing before your well prepared return, instead of a hasty retreat.

Who knows, you may find your calling in acting in commercials for English teaching or even the love of your life.

Hostel still has address. You sleep there, you live there. NIA just needs an address in case they have to contact you.

Exactly. If you need a document, ask the hostel for a letter attesting to the fact that you’ve been there since 年/月/日.

That implies I have money!

Is spending an afternoon at the immigration office too much effort to stay in Taiwan for you? Don’t be so lazy.

And you stay at a hostel? Your job doesn’t help sponsor an apartment? Or at least require you to have one? Surely you have an official residency. If you’ve worked a whole contract year while residing at a hostel, then things are even worse for FOBs than I imagined.

FOB’s have been doing that for decades. Quit living in your privileged bubble, man! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Yikes! I am never “checking my privilege” when it comes to living/working in Taiwan then.

1 Like