ARC expires soon +looking for new job. Type of Visa to get?

I just finished working for a company in Taipei. I’ll be taking a break before working again. I’m intending to do a visa run or two before I start my new job. Since I haven’t been in a situation where I was not extending my ARC or starting a fresh work visa immediately, I had a few questions.

1. What type of visa can be easily converted to another ARC on a visa run?

2. I have conflicting reports about how long you have before you need to leave Taiwan on a cancelled ARC. Is it the day the ARC is cancelled or do you get 2 weeks to leave the country?

3. Is is possible to stay on my wife’s ARC? If so, what documents do we need?

Thanks a lot :wink:

Is your wifes ARC dependent on yours or does she have her own.

If she has her own you could perhaps be added to hers as a spouse and avoid a visa run.

Then apply for a work permit with new employer still using your ARC granted thru relationship to your wife.

1. What type of visa can be easily converted to another ARC on a visa run?
    When I came here a few years ago, I got a 30 day “Landing Visa” which
    didn’t last until I found a job and got the ARC, so I had to do a visa run.
    Went to the Hong Kong “consulate” with a note from my employer and
    got a 60 day visa.
    I sometimes wonder why I went through the trouble ( overnight stay
    and expense ) of getting the 60 day at the “consolate” and didn’t just
    catch a return flight and get another 30 day “Landing Visa” which would
    have given me enough time to process the ARC.
    I remember at the time feeling lucky to get the directions to the “consulate”
    from the web ( either here or tealit ), but would like to know now if it was
    necessary?

[quote=“old canuck”]1) What type of visa can be easily converted to another ARC on a visa run?
When I came here a few years ago, I got a 30 day “Landing Visa” which
didn’t last until I found a job and got the ARC, so I had to do a visa run.
Went to the Hong Kong “consulate” with a note from my employer and
got a 60 day visa.
I sometimes wonder why I went through the trouble ( overnight stay
and expense ) of getting the 60 day at the “consolate” and didn’t just
catch a return flight and get another 30 day “Landing Visa” which would
have given me enough time to process the ARC.
I remember at the time feeling lucky to get the directions to the “consulate”
from the web ( either here or tealit ), but would like to know now if it was
necessary?[/quote]

Yes it was necessary and still is today. You can’t change a landing visa into anything, which isnt really a visa but rather an entry stamp good for up to 30 days.

To apply for an ARC, you have to have an actual visitor visa.

Had you hopped on a plane back to Taiwan and entered with only an entry stamp, and tried to apply for an ARC, you would have been sent back on that plane to get a visa.

Extensible visas are exchangeable for a resident visa without leaving Taiwan. In general if you apply for a visa abroad, that visa can be exchanged for a resident visa here. If you entered on a visa-free stamp then you will not be able to get a resident visa without leaving again.

On a canceled ARC you are supposed to get 2 weeks from when the purpose of your ARC is no longer valid. On a work visa this is from your last day of work. However, the employer needs to notify the CLA that you are no longer employed, and the CLA has to notify the National Immigration Agency (presumably no longer the FAP) and then they need to process the cancellation and notify you. In practice this means you get two weeks from cancellation, whenever that takes place. Since the cancellation postcard does not always get sent to the right place, you should check periodically if the cancellation has been processed yet.

On expired ARCs you must leave or renew before the expiration date.

Proof of marriage and certificate of clean criminal record, both authenticated at the nearest representative office to where they were issued. You also may need a health check (others have reported that this is no longer required in some cases). This type of ARC does not allow you to work though.

Quarters -
thank you for your timely and concise reply.
It’s always a comfort to find out you did the right thing
for the correct reason.

When I finished my job, the FAP were quite happy to give me extra time to wrap up my affairs and leave Taiwan. I went into Banciao police station and the officer asked me how much extra time I needed. I only needed a few days, but from memory she gave me to the end of the following calendar month “just in case”. If you show up, they seem in no hurry to get you out.

A complicating factor in my case was that I had actually already left Taiwan and had come back expecting to get a 30 day landing visa. This couldn’t be done as the FAP were slow to process cancellation of my entry/re-entry permit and ARC - the airport officers said the apparent validity of my re-entry permit prevented them from giving me a landing visa and that they had no power to cancel it. So at the police station I had a reasonable argument that I should have at least got 30 days from my point of reentry anyway.

In any case, they seemed ameniable and I think they would have given anyone “a bit longer” if you ask them before they’ve processed things. It might be different now that the FAP aren’t handling things - this was about 18 months ago.